No announcement yet.

Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce, the parts are as good as we can get. Thanks. The supply, is not as good as it can be. Justin and I have done side by side comparisons of NOS speedster panels, built factory cars, and hand made parts. The choices today are slim.
    Epoxy/cement dies are the quickest solution to supplying the demand for coupster (speedster), conversion metal parts.
    We have been backlogged on parts due to this thread. When we sold the customer the chassis, blasted it, and prepped it for Justin, the parts were in the pipeline -being made by hand.
    It is the amazing work Justin does and the welcomed exposure to such a build that pushes the industry for better & available parts.
    We BUY $ell Trade any NOS green Porsche metal!
    Call toll free today.
    877-356-8827

Comment

• Thanks a lot you guys, Appreciated!! Those new parts make for a pretty nice start!

Mark, The ultimate location of the pedal assembly was solely based on its forward flange being fully mounted to the vertical wall.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis968.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	53137
      The jumping off point was synching it down here first.

Name:	Achassis970.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	53138
      Some slight flex in the wall allowed for a bit of wiggle room to get its best squared fitment to the chassis before I marked the lower holes.

Name:	Achassis978.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	53139
      When fully mounted the bottom studs are set toward the very back the elongated mount holes in the assembly. This allows the unit to be able to slide back to clear the Master cylinder studs upon removal. I purchased the new bracket through Ric at Rusty Tubs. Hope this helps.

12/2/14
      More mock-up and fitment planning.

Name:	Achassis2608.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	53140
      A quick crude mock-up with the decklid just to see what's going on and think about the next plan of attack.

Name:	Achassis2609.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	53141
      Like the doors before the rear of this car will be dictated and shaped around the closing lid.

Name:	Achassis2610.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	53142
      A lot of shaping will be required to get those corners to mate.

Name:	Achassis2612.JPG
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	53143
      Quick underside view

Name:	Achassis2613.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	53144
      hinge bosses seem to be in the right spot.

Name:	Achassis2619.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	53145
      First forseeable fitment issue is going to be with this contoured kick to the lower mount flange.

Name:	Achassis2618.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	53146
      Once slid into matched position with the frame the corner of the decklid opening is too far forward. Will figure that one out when the time comes. Heading to my friends tomorrow to compare these with his original speedster and get a few sight-marked measurements.
      Thanks for looking! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Originally posted by JTR70" post=23594
        Thanks a lot you guys, Appreciated!! Those new parts make for a pretty nice start!

Mark, The ultimate location of the pedal assembly was solely based on its forward flange being fully mounted to the vertical wall.
        [attachment=29631]Achassis968.JPG[/attachment
        The jumping off point was synching it down here first.
        [attachment=29632]Achassis970.JPG[/attachment
        Some slight flex in the wall allowed for a bit of wiggle room to get its best squared fitment to the chassis before I marked the lower holes.
        [attachment=29633]Achassis978.JPG[/attachment
        When fully mounted the bottom studs are set toward the very back the elongated mount holes in the assembly. This allows the unit to be able to slide back to clear the Master cylinder studs upon removal. I purchased the new bracket through Ric at Rusty Tubs. Hope this helps.

Sometimes it's so simple you can't see the forest for the trees. Thanks Justin!
        Mark Erbesfield
        57 356A
        65 911
        68 912
        73 911S
        66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
        79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• I prefer to weld the "boomerang" and gas pedal mount AFTER the toe boards and floor mat have been test fitted with the clutch cable and throttle rod connected. Quite a few "finished" cars have come through the shop where the pedals don't line up very well with the slots in the wood and/or rubber mat, or binding linkages, requiring corrections, trimming, etc. I find it easier to move the pedal box around a bit to get it just right.
          Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• My pleasure Mark.

Good suggestion Jack, I'm with you; the more closely you can mock-up an area in finished form the less likely you are to experience pain and frustration.

12/3/14

Name:	Achassis2621.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	53177
            Today's session was spent trimming and fine fitting the striker post.
            I want the striker set with a fully functioning latched door before I begin fitting and installing the wheel house closing panels which are on their way to me.

I Then went by my buddies house later this afternoon to do a direct comparison with his original speedster.

Name:	Achassis2626.JPG
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	53175
            After taking several direct comparison measurements I was both impressed and relieved that the dimensions of the new firewall comes within a MM or two of the original.

Name:	Achassis2623.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	53176
            Its about as good as it can get!! After making a few templates and some sight marked measurements from the frame I'm comfortable enough to begin fitting new firewall on for good. Have to start somewhere..
            Thanks for stopping by! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, I must say that the replica metal parts look really good on the picture and will save you time from having manufacture themself inhouse. Greit that you have a whole Speedster to take valueable data from.... you have all right the ingrediens to make this one correct.

It is almost like looking at a modern movie.....product placement with RUSTY all over it
              But good that he in turn gets known to be a source if ya wanna build ya a own Coupster

So Rusty needs to buy more cement/epoxi and hire another metalman to beat more panels out.
              Thank you both
              JOP
              JOP

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Staggs" post=23599
                I prefer to weld the "boomerang" and gas pedal mount AFTER the toe boards and floor mat have been test fitted with the clutch cable and throttle rod connected. Quite a few "finished" cars have come through the shop where the pedals don't line up very well with the slots in the wood and/or rubber mat, or binding linkages, requiring corrections, trimming, etc. I find it easier to move the pedal box around a bit to get it just right.
                More great advice. Makes sense, why rush this phase when it can be easily install a little later for perfection. Thanks for keeping me on target.
                Mark Erbesfield
                57 356A
                65 911
                68 912
                73 911S
                66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Thanks Per! Ric's a good guy and a tremendous help so far so I don't mind promoting him a bit. I was sure to mention Alex as well when the splash pans arrived. If someone helps me out I'm always happy to return the favor. I told Ric His contact info could stay on there until they rubbed-off.

12/5/14
                  New Speedster fire wall mounted.

Name:	Achassis2633.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	53217
                  Welding and dressing this upper section to the firewall would have been loads easier with it laying flat off the car but I thought best to leave it loose for adjustment purposes as the rest of parts are fitted.

Name:	Achassis2635.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	53218
                  After some fine trimming and double checking the new wall was ready for welding.

Name:	Achassis2634.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	53219
                  Initial plug-welds

Name:	Achassis2643.JPG
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	53220
                  Now fully welded and dressed.

Name:	Achassis2642.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	53221
                  Firewall officially in.

Name:	Achassis2647.JPG
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	53222
                  Hopefully the 3-ribbed closing panels will show up next week so I can begin bridging these pieces together.

Name:	Achassis2646.JPG
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	53223
                  Will begin locating and establishing the deck lid placement tomorrow.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin
                    Wow - Getting all of that to fit properly is a big task. Looks like you know how to do it. Enjoying the progress.

Jack - Good tip on the pedal board and floor mat test. It's been a while since I installed my pedal cluster, but I think I did a toe board check, but know I did not do the rubber mat check.

Phil

Comment

• Thanks a lot Phil! I'm really just stumbling through, this being my first time dressing a bare chassis and all. I'll have learned a lot once its finally built though. Thanks again! Justin

12/6/14

Crash course in TIG welding this afternoon.

Name:	Achassis2649.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	53244
                      My neighbor Rick just down the way finally had a little time to spare to help me get started with my new welder.

Name:	Achassis2650.JPG
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	53245
                      He's really an accomplished welder and he made it look and seem easier than it was to get such a pretty weld bead. The middle bead was his nicest example. It was a combo of adding in the material as the foot pedal was finessed. I've got along way to go. The left bead was just straight heat with no pedal manipulation. The one to the right was a colder weld with the bead not melted down enough.

Name:	Achassis2652.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	53246
                      Once I had the basics he said "now you have to put in the time". Sit down at your table (don't stand) get comfortable and just practice and work with it. So the above example was a lot of trial and error. However, even with my most limited experience my eyes are wide open to its potential over MIG-welding. Tom and Trevor I think are correct; I may rarely if ever use my MIG once I get this dialed in. Back to practicing tomorrow.
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, my personal experience has been to think like Dirty Harry about welders....."know the limitations" of each. (Sorry, "Magnum Force" was on TV this past weekend).

TIG is actually fun when the metal is absolutely clean, but even some MIG tacks can make a good TIG bead go bad. TIG likes NO debris, no residual lead, no nuttin'......I was trained that for soldering (leading) or TIG, the metal must be "surgically clean".

But then, your work looks.....ah, more than appropriately prepped.

-Bruce (Please say 'hi' to Rick for me)

Comment

• That's a great point Bruce and that was explained to me in detail by Rick as the lesson progressed.

Name:	Achassis2650G.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	53334
                          He warned me that its all gotta be clean. Even the carbon coating on fresh steel must be removed. The bead highlighted in green was his example to show me that the outgassing from the carbon contaminate wreaks havoc on these welds. You're definitely right the MIG, it certainly has its place in the arsenal especially if the work can't quite be cleaned enough; nothing sweeter than obliterating a deep spot of missed cancer with a pool of molten wire as you hear the rust burning away. Couldn't do that with a TIG..

12/9/14
                          More new parts arrived today. here's a quick mock-up photo.

Name:	Achassis2665.JPG
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	53335
                          Getting late will post more details tomorrow.
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Practice practice practice. You'll be TIG'ing two pieces together in no time Justin. And you'll LOVE less grinding.

I saw this picture and thought it belonged in this thread

Name:	1397112_840290396031023_3358028577675760089_o.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	53423
                            trevorcgates@gmail.com
                            Engine # P66909... are you out there
                            Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Thanks Trevor!

My practicing has gotten sidetracked the last few days:

Name:	Achassis2654.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	53441
                              I just noticed this major flaw on the cart this welder was purchased with; the cooling tower position forces the power cord to kink as it enters the welder which will cause major resistance and heat Way too much power and load passes through here to ignore.

Name:	Achassis2655.JPG
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	53442
                              I need to get the cooler up and out of the cords entry path so I decided on a tubular subframe/stand. I removed the existing handle, plate and the brackets to make way.

Name:	Achassis2690.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	53443
                              New sub-frame in process here. I thought it best to make it stand alone and removable incase the welder ever needs to be serviced in the future. MIG welder to the rescue.

12/12/14

New Speedster panels.

Name:	Achassis2660.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	53444
                              Good basic parts but very raw.

Name:	Achassis2661.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	53445
                              A lot of time will be required to trim and message these panels to fit the frame correctly.

Name:	Achassis2669.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	53446
                              A promising start though.

Name:	Achassis2668.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	53447
                              new rear quarter closing panels.

Name:	Achassis2674.JPG
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	53448
                              Left side contour is very weak and will need a lot more shrinking to follow the frame.

Name:	Achassis2670.JPG
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	53449
                              Right side contours much closer than the left.

Name:	Achassis2671.JPG
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	53450
                              As you can see I have plenty to keep me occupied for the next several weeks. Thanks for looking! Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• 12/21/14

Fitting and correcting new Speedster dash cowl.

Began rough fitments of this new part to the car last week and while the basic form of this part is okay I'm finding that its profile is too exaggerated both in the middle and on either side.

Name:	Achassis2658.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	53852
                                The first problem that stood out upon laying it on the car was that the middle stood proud and was too high.

Name:	Achassis2657.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	53853
                                While the trunk wall mating flange is a bit tweaked it was clear that they went too tight on the profile. To get these two to touch put the panel at about a 35 degree angle. BTW: Due to being flanged on both sides of this panel, its very ridged and doesn't lend itself to relaxing down much at all.

Name:	Achassis2721.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	53854
                                Its the exact opposite on either side of the panel as this "spill-over" contour into the fender is much too defined and low. This original lower chrome strip shows the line it should take here.

Name:	Achassis2724.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	53855
                                Again this flange holds this profile so it was stretched a bit too much and will also have to be reversed some.

Name:	Achassis2664.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	53856
                                Mock-up with the new dash face also highlights the same problem as its much too low to even weld them together in this area. More later..
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X