Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin,

To do all that work on the L/H side its not surprising it was not so easy to move across to the right side. This has been a long, long job.

Of course you have learnt so much on this full exercise like I have too reading it. This on-line experience has taught me one thing, that Coupe to speedster is far from easy. I bet the lifting of the doors on and off so many times is a workout in itself.Presume it keeps you fit though for your day job if, you are still fit enough to do it.

Nice L/h side job Justin.

Roy

Comment

• Its been extremely long Roy but definitely eduational for me. This conversion is not for the faint of heart but the donor car one ends up using really makes all the difference in the world. If I had used a shell with nominal rust and usable fenders all the way around allowing me to basically cap the rear end I'd have been done well over a year ago. Using a bare and badly rusted chassis definitely upped the degree of work and difficulty but its sort of a catch 22. If the donor is too nice are you really going to cut it up, Especially these days?
      Thanks once again Roy!

3/28/17
      symmetry issue left to right.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Con-vert334.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	86688
      Right fender/nose arch profile seems to lay flatter and broader than the left.

Name:	Con-vert341.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	86689
      Traced the back edge of this profile to paper.

Name:	Con-vert339.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	86690
      Profile cut out and laid over the top of the left fender here. Its not an optical illusion. The left does bend tighter.

Name:	Con-vert340.JPG
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	86691
      Went ahead and relief cut the weld joint allowing it to open up and "peak" more closely to the left side profile.

Name:	Con-vert352.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	86692
      With this problem fully in mind I went back to locating the fender for best average fit.

Name:	Con-vert355.JPG
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	86693
      Just about ready to begin adding a few set screws here.
      Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• 3/30/17

Right fender adjustments

Name:	Con-vert358.JPG
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	86743
        Initial set screw position

Name:	Con-vert357.JPG
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	86742
        Left the top loose so I could try and get that crown to match more closely with the left.

Name:	Con-vert359.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	86744
        With my hood gap basically set I'm having a really bad alignment issue at the rear wired edge. To have a decent shot of symmetry with the other side I need to have the fender over shoot the rocker. If I align them in this position the profile will be way too vertical. It needs to sweep a bit more.

Name:	Con-vert381.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	86745
        To allow that means moving the fender forward about 10mm. I sacrifice my corner pictured above but I'll be able to correct this with the new patch section going in.

Name:	Con-vert371.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	86746
        Added the door back on while making this change.

Name:	Con-vert375.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	86747
        General contour off the door is at least close.
        Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin,
          A repeat, but here is my way of getting final door gaps before painting the car.
          One now rigged on a Speedster, the other on an early Cabriolet.
          Suspensions are on to stay and will be carefully masked when textured underneath.

Name:	IMG_36311.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	86819

Name:	IMG_36321.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	86820

Name:	IMG_36331.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	86821

Name:	IMG_36341.JPG
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	86823

The key is to anticipate the gaps by loading on the suspension with each portion of the shell holding a close approximation of engine, interior and trunk contents of gas and tank, battery and spare.
          The chain and metal casters is the added weight over pushrod of a 4 cam engine. Everything is weighed on a scale and marked.

Name:	IMG_36361.JPG
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	86822

I can't imagine anyone doing this kind of work with such detailed results.....uh, never mind! A lot of that craziness is here on your site.....

-Bruce

Comment

• Yes Bruce, you have to be correct, strain on sections that are in between those strong front and rear fully loaded box sections, must have a tendency to move slightly.A slight dip or bow in the longitudinal or floor could affect a very fine door gap. I forgot about this info you posted a while back. Interesting to see that again, won't forget it now

I try always to be careful when going over those bumps across roads to slow you down ( we call sleeping policemen ) fully loaded the suspension really does have to work well. I have wondered in the past if you hit one of those at a fast speed just what damage it could cause to the underside suspension supports. Design is so important.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks for posting the details for that preload mock up Bruce. This will definitely be replicated when it comes time to gap it all in with lead for the final shape and width. I also have to get that sub-frame removed before as well.

4/8/17

Repositioning of right fender complete.

Name:	Con-vert383.JPG
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	87196
              Now that the final position has been established I'm comfortable enough to begin trimming back most of the excess.

Name:	Con-vert384.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	87197
              Trimmed, reinstalled and set screwed onto the rocker.

Name:	Con-vert385.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	87198
              seems to be laying down fine. After the fender adjustment I rechecked the opening for center with that cardboard template. Checked out fine as the change is so slight.

Name:	Con-vert387.JPG
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	87199
              Begin reset screwing it to the nose while attempting to crown it higher to better match up against the left side.

Name:	Con-vert388.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	87200
              Decent general contour and most importantly no flair at the wheel arch.

Name:	Con-vert386.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	87201
              Inched it a little closer.
              Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/9/17

Getting the right side ready for final install.

Name:	Con-vert400.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	87229
                donor section rough cut shape.

Name:	Con-vert401.JPG
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	87230
                All but ready to begin installing this fender for the final time but...

Name:	Con-vert402.JPG
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	87231
                I've got to grind tons of plug-weld heads and finish out the splash pan flange first. I can no longer avoid it.

Name:	Con-vert403.JPG
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	87232
                door remounted so I could gap and index the flange for the eventual skin that will go over it.

Name:	Con-vert407.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	87233
                Flange through the middle was dead even in relation to the door so a few MM had to be zipped out to compensate for skin thickness. Tacked into needed position here.

Name:	Con-vert406.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	87234
                I gave up messing with this corner well over a year ago. Time to get'er done now.

Name:	Con-vert409.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	87235
                Full flange run now tacked into needed position. Also eliminating that old spot welded lap joint relief like I did on the left side.

Name:	Con-vert410.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	87236
                Templated the edge of the door to trim the back of the fender even closer still.

Name:	Con-vert416.JPG
ID:	87237
                before I welded the flange up I finished out the most unpleasant task of smoothing out all those plug-weld heads.

Name:	Con-vert417.JPG
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	87238
                Outer flange run fully welded and dressed. Splash pan duties complete.

Name:	Con-vert420.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	87239
                Spot-weld detail followed which offically finished my to do list before installing the fender.

Name:	Con-vert423.JPG
Views:	42
ID:	87240
                Fender test fitted against the mount flange; Its all teed up.
                back to getting the fender ready for final installation next.
                Thanks for stopping by!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• God morning Coachbuilder,

Nice to see you getting further to your goal (end)

Maybe time for you to start do videos of you in action
                  You might be the next Utube star ha ha ha
                  Keep showing us the trix

/ Per
                  JOP

Comment

• I don't think so Per, those videos would be extremely boring to try an sit through. I get bored just performing the work alot of time.
                    Thanks again for the encouragement my friend!

4/16/17

Right fender prep nearly complete and about ready to be tack welded on for good.

Name:	Con-vert428.JPG
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	87447
                    Wrestling with hood gap width and best average contour shape/fit of the rest of the fender. Like the left side I'll end up sacrificing it for body contour first then go back and correct it once the rest of the panel is tacked and established.

Name:	Con-vert432.JPG
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	87448
                    It took a couple of trim attempts as I didn't want to take too much off but I finally got the flange relieved for skin wrap thickness.

Name:	Con-vert434.JPG
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	87450
                    Fender remounted after final excess trim and etched for the wrap around this flange. Fits nice and uniform; this area ready to go.

Name:	Con-vert433.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	87449
                    Excess also removed at the rocker, relief cut for profile shape and wire exposed and preped for welding.

Name:	Con-vert436.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	87451
                    This only leaves trimming away the overlap at the nose. After this I'll be laying down the first series of tack welds. Getting close
                    Thanks for looking!
                    Justin

Name:	Con-vert431.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	87452
                    BTW: Found this slithering outside my shop as I was getting ready to leave for the day. I tried herding him away but ended up scaring him into the unit next door where I have storage. By the shape of the head he doesn't look poisonous and he didn't coil up when I had him cornerd he just wanted to hide. It ended up slipping through a tiny opening by the roller door. I'm praying it left on its own as I don't want to find him in there but I kind of think its still in there. He's tiny but snakes just aren't my thing.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Hi Justin, awesome work as always. This is really helpful for me as I'm about to install my inner closing panel also (yep -I'm a little behind on my posts!).

A question, are you not going to prep and paint the inner closing panel / splash pan before installing to fender?

Regards,

Jonesy

Comment

• Thanks a lot Jonesy! Definitely, you'll have to get us up to speed on your build.

Name:	Con-vert441.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	87508
                        As for sealing it up in and around the splash pan I did brush some primer on the deeper surfaces of the left side but it was nothing to write home about so I didn't take a picture. I held off really coating everything because I have to use torch heat to heel the flange over and it was just going to burn off anyway. Once its done there's enough space to inject a good coat of coverage so I decided to wait on the majority of it until I'm done welding. Thanks again! Justin

4/17/17

Final trim and installation

Name:	Con-vert439.JPG
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	87509
                        Last of the excess metal being removed from the nose. Commitment time again..

Name:	Con-vert440.JPG
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	87510
                        Fender remounted and on for good! Ready to begin planning my tack weld sequence so I can gather and contour shape the panels for best fit as it goes. That next.

Thanks for looking!
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• 4/19/17

Tacking right fender in.

Name:	Con-vert443.JPG
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	87594
                          laying down initial series of tacks.

Name:	Con-vert448.JPG
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	87595
                          Now tacked just about down to the bottom; all the while checking for general profile shape as it went.

Name:	Con-vert449.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	87596
                          Both sides "peak" a little so I'll have to relief cut and retack along this line like I did at the center here but This is just some place to start.

Name:	Con-vert450.JPG
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	87597
                          With the front pretty much set I moved toward the rear. I left it loose so I'd have a chance of an emergency adjustment in case the fender shape got away from me after tacking it to the nose. The back was sagging on me a bit at the top so I had to get out my floor jack to preload it into position to get my body line with the top of the door back.

Name:	Con-vert451.JPG
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	87598
                          Now that I had it dialed back in again I set screwed it and moved down to begin tacking it to the rocker.

Name:	Con-vert453.JPG
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	87599
                          Tacked to the rocker and wire welded together.

Name:	Con-vert452.JPG
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	87600
                          Took a little extra time here as its not supposed to be dead nuts flat though it wanted to be. Eventually got a gentle arch profile that looked right and felt right.

Name:	Con-vert454.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	87601
                          Rocker at fender joint continues the line off the door.

Name:	Con-vert455.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	87602
                          No flare or crown at the top of the wheel opening with a consistent transition off the door. So far so good.

Thanks for stopping by!
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Moin Justin,

Will this be like the last things you are doing on this transformation before handing it over?
                            It will be a large dossier that the Doc is getting for his globally well known Coupster.

BTW how is your new Guard Pet Snake doing in his new indoor facility
                            JOP

Comment

• Hey Per,

Thankfully I haven't seen it since. This car is getting very close but I do have several feet of seam welding yet to tie up however the fabrication part is nearly complete. Sure felt good to type that just now.

4/23/17

Name:	Con-vert456.JPG
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	87709
                              Slowly heeling the rear flange over.

Name:	Con-vert458.JPG
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	87710
                              Alot more tightening up yet to go as its still pretty fat but I was just thankful for the minimal distortion to the skin surface.

Name:	Con-vert459.JPG
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	87711
                              Entire run now crimped over. I must have learned something as it went a little smoother and cleaner.

Name:	Con-vert461.JPG
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	87712
                              Trial door fitment directly afterward.

Name:	Con-vert463.JPG
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	87713
                              Low in the middle but it should bump up just fine. They matched up alot better than I thought they were going to fresh from bending.

Name:	Con-vert465.JPG
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	87714
                              really happy with snug fit against the skin.

Name:	Con-vert464.JPG
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	87715
                              Preping the patch for installation next. The final piece of this puzzle.

Thanks for looking!
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• I have been reading this topic since I joined this forum and I thought I will comment once the project is complete, but this weekend I read this topic again from the start, I could not contain it no more WOW! the work that has gone into this project is just amazing...Well done Justin keep posting the progress I look forward to every update.

Comment

Working...
                                X