No announcement yet.

Coupe into Speedster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasting no time on the build! On my projects it takes me more time to figure out what I want to do & how I'm going to do it than it takes to actually do the work.
    Also, I was wondering if the coupe cowl will be for sale at some point? I have a basket case 57' that it would look good on.

Comment

Justin,

Nice work, I understand now the priciples. Useful to have your car alonside to compare.

Roy

Comment

Hey Frank, Like you, my peronal projects take forever. This one on the other hand is a job so I had to get cracking on it. Yes, that old cowl is available, I'll PM you. Welcome once again! Justin

Hi Roy, I knew it would make more sense with a few more pieces added in. You're right having my coupe for direct referrence is crucial. Thanks again! Justin

3/5/13
        Finished up my sub-frame jig and am now addressing the battery box. Todays progress...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis082.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	13387
        Went ahead and finished removing the old coupe striker plates. This conversion will utilize early T1 speedster high striker doors so off they came.

Name:	Achassis084.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	13388
        Jig is now finished. Though I could have gone further it stabilizes the chassis sufficiently and most importantly it will be clear and out of my way while I work.

Name:	Achassis085.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	13389
        The tunnel is just hanging on by a thread so I'll go ahead and remove it too. Having this thing out of the way makes new floor installation so much easier! A possible clearance problem in the future might be the center out rigger blocking the new floor from sliding in but I'll cut one if I have to. By then both longitudinals will be fully rebuilt so it won't be an issue to cut one.

Name:	Achassis086.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	13390
        One more tie-in was added to the rear torsion tube housing. Its out of my way so it can't hurt; only help.
        Justin Rio

Comment

3/5/13 Battery Box

What to save and what to replace...

Name:	Achassis060.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	13392
          Left side is nearly prestine with no damage.

Name:	Achassis056.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	13393
          The right side did not fair quite as well and was crunched pretty good on this corner.

Name:	Achassis055.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	13394
          Fortunately there is no sign of damage or deformation behind the suspension. Thank God!

Name:	Achassis057.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	13395
          Have to make a decision weather to save this closing wall or replace it. The bumper bracket mount I can definitely straighten and save.

Name:	Achassis061.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	13396
          Both upper and low front bulkhead closing walls will be replaced. Someone got locked out of the trunk it seems and shot thier way back in through the hood.

Name:	Achassis087.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	13397
          Removed what was left of the front wall today along the lap joints. Too rusty, crunched and shot full of holes to mess with.

Name:	Achassis088.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	13398
          I think straightening this will amount to the same amount of effort as replacement but will access it further tomorrow. Note the curled metal between the torsion housing. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Will you use donor metal or replacement metal like the Simonsen 356 panels?

Comment

All the Chassis panels will be new vendor items like from Simonsen and all the "speedster panels" will be from Steve Hogue.

3/6/13
              Addressing old collision damage on the right side battery wall.

Name:	Achassis089.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	13441
              To better asses if I'd save or replace this wall I had to get the old bumper bracket mount out of the way first. Drilled the spot welds and splitting it back apart here. The bracket is not rusty or weak so I'll definitely straighten it back out and remount.

Name:	Achassis090.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	13442
              Bracket removal gave a clean look at the damage. Again the wall is not rusted or weak so I'm going to try and save it. Replacing it would be just as much work by the time all the spot welds were drilled to get it free again. I'd rather spend the time and fix this one.

Name:	Achassis091.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	13443
              Along with some torch heat and a heavy hammer I also needed to apply forward pressure while I beat on it. I don't have a frame dozer though I could not use a frame puller anyway considering how delicate this frame is at the moment. So you just come up with solutions with the tools you have on hand like this bottle jack. Once clamped into position it does the job beautifully.

Name:	Achassis092.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	13444
              repeated heat and hammer blows are beginning to iron this piece back out. I could not do this cold, not only is this a tight space on the inside but its double walled and also lap jointed in this area. The jack ever so slowly crept outward so it is submitting.

Name:	Achassis093.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	13445
              Another solid session to put in here but its headed in the right direction.

Name:	Achassis094.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	13446
              Luckily the frame is still light enough to move and flip on my own. Continuing on tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Really interesting Justin, you make it look almost easy!! I read once a good hard collision on the a front bumper iron can send the damage right back to the area near the the windscreen. You were as you said lucky it stopped where it did.

Good thread

Roy

Comment

Thank you Roy! You're right it would not take too much to whad this chassis up to the A pillar. Rusty or not once you begin removing each individual component the point is really driven home as to how light each pressed panel is. While they get stronger as a unit it is still just 19 guage mild steel sheet. Thanks again! Justin
                  3/7/13
                  Only had an hour to work on it today so I removed the remaning brake/tunnel components and the diagonal brace.

Name:	Achassis096.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	13492
                  Brace is completely gone at the toeboard bulkhead and offers zero stability. Its only in my way as I try to iron this right side wall out so I cut it free today.

Name:	Achassis098.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	13493
                  a tunnel perimeter kit is the easy part. All the brackets and tubes for the handbrake, heater and floorboard footings all need to be fabricated. There is hours in just fabricating all these tiny details easily over looked.

Name:	Achassis097.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	13494
                  As I pulled the brake cables out some of the grease "wormed" out of the breaches in the tubing. Back on the battery sidewall tomorrow. Thanks for looking! Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

1/9/13
                    Had just a little over an hour to play with this today. Applied more heat and hammering to get the kinks and stretched areas closer.

Name:	Achassis099.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	13563
                    Mainly worked this area ahead of the rear inner bulkhead wall. It was kinked hard in front of it so it took several passes

Name:	Achassis100.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	13564
                    Secondary damage was done as someone tried to beat the wall back outward and of course stretched it. Some heat and my shrinking hammer are slowly getting it back in line.

Name:	Achassis102.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	13565
                    Still a ways to go but its closer. I am now sure I can save this piece. More tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

You must really love this work. Quite the education for those of us that never get to see behind the scenes of a restoration. Is it not a crossroad now, where you evaluate the rusty tunnel repairs vs. just buying a new one? Cost, time ...and how many cold ones?

Comment

Thanks! Just trying to give a detailed look into what really goes into fixing one of these rusty/bent hulks. I'll repair the tunnel with a new lower flange kit. A new tunnel will be more money than the time it will take me to repair this one. Justin

3/10/13
                        Right box wall repair Continued.

Name:	Achassis113.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	13608
                        The rest of my hammer blows will be downward so I thought it best to flip the chassis over and get a clear inside shot at it.

Name:	Achassis111.JPG
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	13609
                        Looking to iron out this lump between the tubes which should drive this side out further forward where it needs to be.

Name:	Achassis108.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	13610
                        As I hammered foward the lump would spring up behind me so I had to throw on a few tacks to hold it.

Name:	Achassis110.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	13611
                        The progress soon ended. The horn's leading edge is now rolled back and sharper. To relax it and get the wall messaged flat I need two torches and an extra pair of hands to heat both areas simultaniously. Only have one of each so this relief cut was my answer to keep things moving and allow the wall to now flatten out.

Name:	Achassis114.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	13612
                        With the relief cut I could now return to that buckle.

Name:	Achassis109.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	13613
                        With the buckle now out you can see how much forward movement I got out of it by the new width of the relief cut. Once the wall is finished and stabilized I'll go back reheat the horn flange and stitch it back together.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

1/10/13 Part 2

Name:	Achassis116.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	13615
                          The buckle was now level between the tubes and I began to beat the wall out level between the horn and the bulkhead wall. A stubborn ridge remained right behind the bulkhead run. I could only get light glancing blows on it and was going nowhere fast. My only option was to remove the outer portion of the bulkhead to expose this area and give me a clear shot at it.

Name:	Achassis117.JPG
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	13616
                          Didn't want to do this but again left with no choice.

Name:	Achassis118.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	13617
                          Now I can finish this off.

Name:	Achassis119.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	13618
                          Finally got it all leveled out.

Name:	Achassis122.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	13619
                          Still have a little tidying up to do on the lower flange area but the heavy lifting is done. With my clear hindsight now a replacement panel would be about the same work considering all that I had to cut and remove to get at it but it was good exercise on saving the old crap. Thanks for reading this! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Very cool, clad to see Im not the only one here working on a rough one....at least this is an A.
                            60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Thanks Brock! Hey, are you working on your coupe yet? By your last comment it sounds like you would prefer to have an A car. If this is the case I'd recommend going the extra mile and hang an A front clip or skins on it. Why not, your car is very rusty and you are going to modify it heavily from what I understand. An economical, yet still very cool conversion if done cleanly would be a full fiberglass-flip front end. Rusty Tubs offers the glass body to build it. Heres a perfect example:
                              (this is one badass car which I love BTW)

Name:	mod35669_2013-03-11.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	13697
                              Its a T6 coupe with a fiberglass "A" front end. Amazing how quickly it can morph into the A of your liking with just a nose job. Now If you wanted to go just a step further to complete this picture I know you can buy either an A or BT5 Coupe roof clip with the smaller front and back windows. Its just sheet metal don't be afraid to cut it up. Some food for thought...let us know what your up to with it. Thanks again for reading this build post! Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

I like A's (not much into the Pre A's) but I cant afford to play in that world. Worse than the Boss 302 world and I have dabbled (SIC?) there. I have not started to do much to the 65 mostly because I have been trying to buy my 63 back amd my other obsession 5th scale RC Gas trucks . Me and Ric talked about the glass front but at this point thats up in the air. Thanks and keep the updates comin!
                                60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Working...
                                X