No announcement yet.

Chassis 85517 Number 17 356 Convertible D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Justin, the small crack repair shows the effort you have put into this car you were told was ready for painting! Its great seeing attention to detail when many would have resorted to filler.

Well done!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Roy! yeah, filler wouldn't be the best approach for crack repair. LOL

• Right side body work completed:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6465.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.4 KB ID:	109760 After many hours of metal work, block sanding , lip and edge detail work this right side is finally at a level that's ready for its final coats of color.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6464.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	109761 chased the gaps and edge details about as far as I can.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6463.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.7 KB ID:	109762 Gaps are larger than I personally like but they run an average of 3mm as stated by law.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6467.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	109763Final uniform work coat of color applied and moving back over to the left side of the car to get it into its final base before the final paint job.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6472.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.1 KB ID:	109764 Car turned around so I can give the left side its once over and to finish out just a few more loose ends.
    Last edited by JTR70; 09-13-2020, 08:38 PM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Miscellaneous left side chores:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6475.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	109767 Not liking the contour of the quarter panel off of the back of the door. The is sloping downward but the quarter panel was tapering back upward so I was aggressively removing material to correct the slope. I've run into some high spots of steel at the back which I'll disc shrink later.

Name:	IMG_6478.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	109769 Door removed to finish drilling the holes for the threshold strip. Another one off of the "to do" list.

Name:	IMG_6476.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	109768 Starting cleaning up my couple years worth of lead, steel and grinding aggregate off of the interior floors.

Name:	IMG_6473.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	109766All the while rear bumper body work playing in the background.

Name:	IMG_6471.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	109770 Up next is some under dash at the steering column redo work. Actually this will be my "redo" of the previous shops "redo" attempt of their own work. Keeping up with the theme here.
      That next...
      Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Dash and column support work:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	ddash2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.8 KB ID:	109801 This shot was taken by the owner during a mock up assembly shortly after getting it back from the shop that performed the metal work. As you can see the column support is out of alignment with the hole and would not allow the column tube to seat correctly.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	ddash1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.5 KB ID:	109802The column clamp mount area had its own issues. As you can see the right side mounting hole is hogged out and twisted. The area is clearly visible at all times so it too was in no way ready for a final paint job. These issues where added to a grocery list of problems that my buddy found once he took delivery of the shell. Shortly afterward he arranged for the shop to correct all of these mistakes (while he waited in town) so the car was trailered the 2 thousand miles back to Texas to have the corrections made.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63446.jpg Views:	3 Size:	164.7 KB ID:	109803 Afterward the shell was dropped off with me for the final paint job. Fast forward the column support was moved over but the bottom of the dash where column mounts is no better.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63447.jpg Views:	3 Size:	205.9 KB ID:	109804 Sometime in the distant past the P.O.'s must have tried using the shorter coupe steering column clamp so the bottom of the dash was pounded in and arched for additional clearance. The correct Speedster version clamp and rubber grommet is going to be used so this also has to be fixed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63448.jpg Views:	3 Size:	132.2 KB ID:	109805 Begin repairs on this overlooked flange area next.

Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 09-19-2020, 10:24 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, so many things you have had to correct, but... what a car this will be when finished !! Tell me when the top coat is applied and it looks better than new what happens next? Are you involved in all the mechanical side and all the trimming work to the interior? I can't remember it was so long ago now what the owner wanted other than he wanted it ready for paint. To keep this car looking so correct the next stages have to be correct also to match the excellent work you have done.

Roy

Comment

• Thanks A lot Roy! This should be the last of them but I keep saying that. As for after its finally painted; the owner is an avid life long hobbyist with an eye for detail and originality. He handles the fun part of final assembly once his cars are finished shells.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	denine.jpg Views:	0 Size:	452.1 KB ID:	109818 Here is the numbers matching motor all rebuilt and beautifully detailed sitting in his garage awaiting installation back into this car. As you can see he does nice work so the final product should turn out really clean. Once he takes delivery I'll be sure to have either him or I update this thread with reassembly photos. He works quick so this thread is actually going to be the first restoration journey to have a fully finished product on this forum. It will be fun to watch so stay tuned! Thanks again Roy!

Back to the dash:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2244.JPG Views:	0 Size:	111.3 KB ID:	109819My Speedster dash shows what this mounting area should look like. Nice and level for that rubber grommet.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6481.JPG Views:	0 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	109820
            Eventual decided it much easier and cleaner to cut both the damaged flange section of the dash and column support back out. Two small holes to the left where probably for some sort of aftermarket gauge so they will be filled.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6482.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	109821 Very tortured piece of metal. You can see where the previous shop took to bashing in the middle of it to get it to move over during their "redo".
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6484.JPG Views:	0 Size:	144.2 KB ID:	109822 New flange section from an old original fender section getting a new leash on life. Trimmed and flanging it to shape here.
            Last edited by JTR70; 09-20-2020, 11:04 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6485.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.2 KB ID:	109830 Orienting section in best adjusted position with pre-punched clamp holes. Cockeyed mounting hole orientation is correct and what I'm looking for. Learned that detail with the coupster project.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6486.JPG Views:	0 Size:	153.5 KB ID:	109831 Trimmed and tacked. Mocking up the support with column before I fully welding it up.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6488.JPG Views:	0 Size:	192.8 KB ID:	109832
              Hole alignment about the best I could hope for.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6487.JPG Views:	0 Size:	140.9 KB ID:	109833
              So far so good, all falling into position.

Name:	image_63475.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	109834 A step further by set screwing the column support into position and adding in the actual steering column clamp.
              Last edited by JTR70; 09-22-2020, 10:02 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Finishing out dash flange repair:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6492.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	109836
                As you can see with everything lined up and set. The clamp sits crooked in relation to the edge of the dash, a detail easily overlooked and counter intuitive.
                Ready to finish stitching this in.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6494.JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.7 KB ID:	109837 Stitched and dressed.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6496.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	109839
                Gauge holes provided valuable access to be abe to finish out the flange welds top side.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6495.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.0 KB ID:	109838 Will only need a skim coat to take it the rest of the way.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6497.JPG Views:	0 Size:	167.9 KB ID:	109840 Onto the next deal.

Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Last edited by JTR70; 09-22-2020, 10:17 PM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Great Justin, so good you had experience of that positioning from the Coupster. Without that cock -eyed experience it would have left you scratching your head for sure! His engine looks so good I look at original items that usually have been modified like for example, the line from the fuel pump to the carb with a fuel filter. His is perfect. His silver fan housing so his engine must be the super version. The black slightly off full gloss black for some of the engine tin. ( Though some of my original engine items are gloss black paint even the regulator box is gloss black still with the original decal which does look a bit sad.)

If the rest of his work is to same standard his car will look as new! I think I might be a bit frightened to drive it in case I got a stone chip ! Its fabulous Justin.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks so much Roy! Good eye, you know your engine details, correct, this car is a Super. Right, most all of those fuel hard lines were cut for an inline filter at some point. Unmolested lines are at a premium I would imagine. Yes, lots of variation in semi-gloss black on those tins. As always Roy, thank you.

• Getting ready to install the column support but another quick detour while I was still under there.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6479.JPG Views:	0 Size:	208.6 KB ID:	109844 While working under here I noticed these nasty looking metal tangs hanging from the trunk floor. Just an after thought hastily installed.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6489.JPG Views:	0 Size:	233.9 KB ID:	109845 Checked my car to see what if anything was there. These hold the washer hose and as you can see these have never been reopened as the hose rotted away.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6498.JPG Views:	0 Size:	188.6 KB ID:	109846
                  I was going to reinstall the steering column support next but it was agreed we wouldn't leave this mess behind so now was the time to address it with more room to work with the column support still out of the way.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6504.JPG Views:	0 Size:	210.2 KB ID:	109847 Grinding down those bugar welds was every bit the PIA that I thought it was going to be. Laying flat on my back with sparks raining down I was cursing the guy that put those in.

Name:	image_63485.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	109848
                  I was also asked to check the hand brake assembly for fitment as there was some sort of issue with the existing mounting holes. There was, the corner of the unit was catching the edge of the relief shape in the floor so it wouldn't seat.
                  Last edited by JTR70; 09-24-2020, 07:15 AM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Handbrake remounting:

Name:	IMG_6502.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	109850 Made a template of the housings foot print to dial in the needed clearance and new mounting hole position.

Name:	IMG_6503.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	109851
                    Lined up with the existing holes and the corner clearly interfered with the floor relief.

Name:	IMG_6505.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	109852
                    Existing holes closed and ready to be dressed and redrilled.

Name:	IMG_6507.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	109854Brake assembly fully engaged at the tube end with unit over enough to clear the shoulder.

Name:	IMG_6508.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	109853 Template left behind to hold that sweet spot for drilling.
                    ​​​​​​​
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Detour complete:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6509.JPG Views:	0 Size:	186.1 KB ID:	109856 Handbrake all set...
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6510.JPG Views:	0 Size:	198.6 KB ID:	109857 Also better centered in the reinforcement plate.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6515.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	109858 Back to those metal holding loops. Pre- shaped here and ready for installation.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6517.JPG Views:	0 Size:	214.8 KB ID:	109859 Installed completing my detour.

Name:	image_63495.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	109860
                      Trick to attaching these cleanly was to plug weld from the top side, not bugar weld from the bottom.

Back to prepping the steering column support for installation.
                      Thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Last edited by JTR70; 09-24-2020, 07:54 AM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Column support prep and install:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6518.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.3 KB ID:	109870
                        One very tortured piece of metal. Its been hit , cut, welded and reinstalled going on its 4th time now. Straightened back out with ears where added back onto the ends here. Ready to go back in for a final time.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63501.jpg Views:	3 Size:	169.4 KB ID:	109871 Set screwed at both ends now and ready for another column mock up just to be absolutely sure its right before I commit to welding.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63502.jpg Views:	3 Size:	146.9 KB ID:	109872 Actual column for this car mocked up and everything is good to go.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63503.jpg Views:	3 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	109873
                        Fully welded and dressed. Seam welded along the edges at the bottom as originally and plug welded to the dash flange.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63504.jpg Views:	3 Size:	173.6 KB ID:	109874 This has been a long road but with this one out of the way I am officially done with my metal correction duties. Bodywork and paint only from here on in.

Thanks for looking!
                        Justin
                        Last edited by JTR70; 09-25-2020, 08:40 AM.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Great job Justin. Very impressed to your attention to correctness.

Comment

• JTR70
                            JTR70 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you Phil! Sometimes I come up short but I try to get it as close as I can.

• What an adventure Justin ! Well done bet your back and neck ached after doing that work !!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                            JTR70 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Agree Roy, its been quite the adventure but I am relieved that there will be no further grinding or welding over head. Thanks again!
                        Working...
                        X