No announcement yet.

Chassis 85517 Number 17 356 Convertible D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice job Justin. Have never removed my tank but but 30 years ago my blue original gas cap seal started to leak petrol a bit down the front of it removing some of the paint . So I sprayed in situ but only the front and top of the tank. The Cap I sprayed Silver. I then inspected the seal and turned it over !!! Its never leaked since so one good bodge !! I noticed too when I removed the paint on the top and front the tank must have had a special primer applied when new like anodizing?? It was grey and I manged to keep nearly all of it. Still all looks good today.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Roy! The tanks where coated inside and out with lead. They really where prepped and painted just like an old radiator back in the day.

• Tank finished and back to the last bit of bodywork.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6786.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	110103 Tank in its final coat of satin and ready to install.

Name:	IMG_6785.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	110104 Straps where painted in slightly glossier version with a reduced amount of flattening agent in it. I was instructed that the straps should never matched the tank so here it is for an original effect.

Name:	IMG_6858.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	110105 My final body work task is gap and fine shaping with the decklid and body.

Name:	IMG_6860.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	110106Spent this session opening and fine detailing of the gaps especially at the corners. Next round of sealer applied.

Name:	IMG_6867.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	110107test coat applied. I have a few more flaws yet to address but they are getting smaller and few as its progressing.

Thanks for looking!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Ah Lead on the petrol tank outer surface! Thanks Justin. Nice gaps to the rear lid! Mine are perfect too, I just wish every other area was as good!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
        JTR70 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Roy!

• Next round of fine finishing:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6870.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	110147After block sanding with the remaining imperfections highlighted for the next round of skim coating.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6872.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	110148Next round skimming and blocking gone as far as it can. Sealer and test coat next.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6876.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	110149 Next round applied. Still finding things I don't like but they are getting smaller and fewer as it goes.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6880.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.6 KB ID:	110150 Gaps and edges still need some fine tuning but the general surface is about there. What I need are reflection shapes to stay intact as they cross over the gap like this light reflection.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6881.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	110151
      Aside from the reflections I'm also now good with how the overall contour of the lid in its latched position carries the body line. No need for any further adjustments there. Waiting on this cure and repeat the process over again; one more time should do it.

Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Last edited by JTR70; 10-31-2020, 08:06 PM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin- you are fine tuning this very nicely. Like watching a Master class
        1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
        356 Registry main thread;
        http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
        1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for saying so Scott, I just keep sanding until that little voice in my head says I can stop. LOL
          Thanks again! Justin

• Last round of body blocking for the lid and surrounding area:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6883.JPG Views:	0 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	110168 Last round of overall blocking across the gaps. A couple of high spots on the lower lip eliminated and with that...Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6885.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	110169the general surface is at a level I can live with.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6882.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	110170 Once last round of gap and corner edge shaping especially around the turns. Putty spreader made for a stiff yet flexible enough tool to support the paper so I could reach down in there to shape the edges.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6886.JPG Views:	0 Size:	103.1 KB ID:	110171 Grill was dry fitted to check for uniformity. No issues once the seal is added in.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6888.JPG Views:	0 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	110172 Lid will be removed one last time to prep the under side and perimeter trough on the body side. Edging closer....

Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 11-03-2020, 09:32 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Super dooper indeed !
          Roy

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Roy!

• Killer job. Crazy how great this looks - I know how much time effort this took to get to this point. Congratulations Justin.
          1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
          356 Registry main thread;
          http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
          1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Scott, glad you can appreciate all the effort, time and patience invested to get here. Justin

• Finishing up the lid:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6895.JPG Views:	0 Size:	197.8 KB ID:	110187 Finishing out the welds from the needed skin height adjustments and skim coating to smooth out the big blemishes. Not shooting for perfection just a clean general presentation.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6896.JPG Views:	0 Size:	124.7 KB ID:	110188 Tackling the last of the remaining nicks and irregularities along the trough and its leading edge. Lots of sanding slurry to clean up on that lower tray in there eventually.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6897.JPG Views:	0 Size:	157.9 KB ID:	110189 Sealer and work coat. Not chasing it much further than this....just wanted the big stuff smoothed out better.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6899.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	110190 Trough and leading edge/lip finalized. Last test coat.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6900.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	110191 Last of the final finishing detail was to the lids leading edge. smoothing any remaining nicks and or high spots while bevel shaping it for a consistent shoulder profile all the way around. One more dust coat and once dried the lid will be remounted to the car completely one last time to make doubly damn sure its what I'm going to be happy with before I commit to final paint.
          Last edited by JTR70; 11-08-2020, 09:39 PM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Final decklid confirmation test fit:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6901.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	110193 Fully hinged and latched with rubber buffers installed. I've have to go as far as preloading the hinges upward then snug up the pivot bolts as I've got it dialed in to where the slop in the bolt holes messes with the front height elevation with the edge of the body. Set to my liking here.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63700.jpg Views:	3 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	110194Gap and edge detail shapes all at a level that I can live with..
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63701.jpg Views:	3 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	110195
            Down the sides, around the corners
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63702.jpg Views:	3 Size:	82.9 KB ID:	110196 And along the bottom. The lid and surrounding area work is finally at an end. The lid is latched but its sitting a touch proud this time around. Very frustrating as it changes ever so slightly every time its taken apart. I'll address all of this once its painted and I've remounted it for the final time.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63703.jpg Views:	3 Size:	92.3 KB ID:	110197 Blowing this apart one last time for a thorough scuffing and then onto final paint. Only a very light sand and scuff taking care not to change any of these lines or shapes.

Thanks for looking!
            Justin
            Last edited by JTR70; 11-08-2020, 10:05 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Another successful paint match.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6917.JPG Views:	0 Size:	117.0 KB ID:	110202 Took a sample of the leather being used down to my local paint supplier for a camera scan. The final match turned out as close as I could hope for.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6918.JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.6 KB ID:	110203
              I only have to shoot two small defroster vent strips to match this leather so I asked what the minimum amount of paint I could order was. It was this 8oz pictured above. I'll still have plenty left over but at least I didn't have to buy a full pint.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6921.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.9 KB ID:	110204 Paint directly applied to sample. Again, the best match I could hope for.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6927.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.8 KB ID:	110205 Vents painted and fully cured and laid over the leather here.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6928.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.8 KB ID:	110206 Done! Now I'm fully teed up to install the leather and the windshield frame assembly without delay once the car painted.

Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Last edited by JTR70; 11-10-2020, 08:52 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Finishing out rear bumper and final body prep:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6915.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.2 KB ID:	110222 Next to last work coat with only a few minor blemishes left to chase.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6916.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.4 KB ID:	110223 Last of the nicks and flaws chased out on the closing panels.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6920.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.2 KB ID:	110224A few more short comings than I thought but another round of swatching should about finish the surface.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6930.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	110225
                All the closing panels both top and bottom are all teed up and ready for final paint.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6931.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.1 KB ID:	110226 The body itself is also finally ready for its final finish. Just have to finish masking it and scuffing any remaining shiny spots. Will be getting it over to the body shop and into the booth on Saturday evening to hopefully get in final paint on Sunday.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• rear bumper body work finished:

Name:	IMG_6936.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	110228Another work coat with only a few nicks remaining that are few and far between. A block sand will chase most of these out.

Name:	IMG_6934.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	110229One more work coat just to be sure. Its finished, just a scuff and shoot to finish this up.

Name:	IMG_6942.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	110230Same procedure as with the front bumper a few months earlier. The back side is going into final paint first then it will be back masked to paint the outer surface separate. Shooting all the nooks and crannies first to ensure thorough coverage.

Name:	IMG_6944.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	110231Then it was onto painting the rest of it.

Name:	IMG_6943.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	110232 Back side finished. Masking this off next and will finish out the surface tomorrow. My to do list is getting shorter and shorter.

Thanks for looking!
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, I say again this car is going to look fabulous when its finally painted. Superb effort.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                      JTR70 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you Sir, will see what happens...
                      Last edited by JTR70; 11-18-2020, 06:44 AM.

• Holly crap, Justin you must have an amazing amount of patience. I am only on page 6 and have already learned so much. I am also a bit intimidated at the next chapter on my 57 build. I don’t think I have the patience or physical power to do this. I am soooo thankful that my car is so original and am hoping my gaps are “good enough “, which I think they are. Thx Justin for the education along the way. Mark
                    Mark Erbesfield
                    57 356A
                    65 911
                    68 912
                    73 911S
                    66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• JTR70
                      JTR70 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks a lot Mark, I don't think you'll have to worry, your car is in pretty nice condition.
                  Working...
                  X