No announcement yet.

Chassis 85517 Number 17 356 Convertible D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin, your experience told you to remove the rocker. What a good decision that was. Also what must be hidden on some cars by repair work of previous times. It going to look good !

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Roy, It soon dawned on me that it was less work to just cut it back out and begin fresh versus trying to make all of that come out even. The Rocker isn't original so I was even less inclined to save it. As always, thank you!
      Justin

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2393.JPG Views:	0 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	106218
    Dug the door seals out so I can preload the latched door to dial in level with the new rocker and rear quarter panel.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2412.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.8 KB ID:	106219
    Initial mock-up with tail left at the bottom. Much easier for mock-ups if I just cut that short but I didn't want to burn this new seal just for that.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2432.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.8 KB ID:	106220
    Got the door latch adjusted for a nice transition off to the rear fender. What jumped out at me next was this huge flat spot in the body profile. Again black primer conceals a lot of sin.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2430.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.0 KB ID:	106222
    With this straight edge you can see just about 4MM of slope to fix or fill.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2399.JPG Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	106221
    Worry about that later. Onto getting the back of the rocker dialed in and set. A tight rear gap and corner to also deal with.
    Thanks for looking!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

• I will be watching with interest how you reduce that 4mm. You could have done without that hassle.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
        JTR70 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Roy, I had to revisit more than just that low spot. I eventually had to address the entire lock post before I was done. Will be posting all of that here shortly. Justin

• Back to the front. (of the rocker)
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2435.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	106227
      Front lines up the most naturally with the car so establishing here and moving to the back.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2457.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	106228
      As alignment progressed at the wired edge I noticed that the wire lead that I left on the fender side was a bit too cooperative. With a minimal tug the lead came out like a tooth. The previously welded joint did not take.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2458.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.5 KB ID:	106229
      Which now meant a bigger bridge and new wire lead section to connect the "new" wire lead now exposed here. Always something...
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2460.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	106230
      Moved onto dialing in my best adjusted 3mm bottom gap with the edge of the door.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2462.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	106231
      A curve ball thrown up here but I now had the front of this rocker set in its final position. The edge contour carries on pretty smoothly onto the rocker. Notice the "new" wire lead on the fender side sits back a little? I wasn't done yet. That later...
      Last edited by JTR70; 07-10-2019, 06:05 AM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Onto the back.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2436.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	106233
        New skin gapped and set outward to level with the latched door and seal.

Name:	IMG_2447.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	106234
        Still sucked in too tight at the lap joint so I'll be relief cutting the fender to bring it out some.

Name:	IMG_2437s.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	106235
        The new rocker skin position now means I'll be extending the existing threshold out about this much to get the flanges flush for welding.

Name:	IMG_2451.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	106236
        Relief cut the edge on the rocker to lay back more gracefully and into alignment with the fender.

Name:	IMG_2452.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	106237
        Really happy with the new corner gap and contour. Will only need a swatch of filler if any to be perfect.
        Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Extending the threshold.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2469.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	106239
          Relief cut in prep for a filler strip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2471.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.8 KB ID:	106240
          Only had to relax the flange on the drain tray to get the needed distance. Small miracles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2480.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	106241
          New filler strip cut and carefully tacked in for flush on the car first.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2484.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	106242
          Now tacking the old flange section to it. A very time consuming PIA.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2546.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	106243
          Fully welded and dressed. Those where a pair of long seam welds and glad this was now behind me.

Last edited by JTR70; 07-10-2019, 06:42 AM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Small clean up and detail prep.

Name:	IMG_2434.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	106245
            redoing the rocker skin also gives me the chance to correct smaller detail issues like these bugar welds holding the old rocker brace on.

Name:	IMG_2502.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	106246
            With the skin out of the way I could just get at it with my die grinder.

Name:	IMG_2518.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	106247
            Now I can plug weld the new one up top for a clean factory appearance.

Name:	IMG_2513.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	106248
            Next issue was at the splash pan attachment point. Another large gob of wire weld hold the old skin to it to clean up. I'll also close that slit left in the outer flange as it zaps the rigidity in that area.

Name:	IMG_2514.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	106249
            Begin paper templates to create a new clean corner flange. Should only be a small gas welded tack holding these two together when its over.

Justin Rio

Comment

• Front rocker prep continues

Name:	IMG_2517.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	106255
              Building out a new flanged 90 degree corner.

Name:	IMG_2524.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	106256
              Completed. Rocker mocked up to make sure they'd touch for a quick gas weld all the while not forcing the surface of the rocker to roll under as I'd previously found it.

Name:	IMG_2526.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	106257
              Begin templates for the new "bridge" patch for the skin. Main thing was getting a graceful arch on that wired lip for a seamless transition when complete.

Name:	IMG_2528.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	106258
              Onto steel. Have the initial arched profile hammered over and now ready to wrap the wire in it.

Name:	IMG_2531.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	106259
              Lots of torch heat to make sure I maintain the curve and shape I need. A bit more to go here but synching up nicely around the wire.

Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2533.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	106261
                New patch set and ready to make the final cut.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2534.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	106262
                As the fender is not original I decided to use the entire patch. Final cut line with box below marking out the wire lead that needs to stay behind.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2536.JPG Views:	0 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	106263
                Removed with tons of seam sealer lurking below.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2535.JPG Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	106264
                Apparently the wire rolled out at the other shop as it was just left and seam sealed over.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2537.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	106265
                Just about ready to install the new section.

Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• A very interesting and well described series of work there Justin. The amount of work to correct a car that arrived ready for paint makes it clear the choice of bodywork repair company is so important! As you said in the beginning it arrived looking you know sort of possible until........

To be honest though without the 356 experience even fully skilled bodywork guys would find this work difficult. You know exactly the pitfalls and where they will be half the time. That experience is so valuable.

Super thread !

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey Roy, I know exactly what you mean, I've been down this road several times before and it can still manage to try my patience thoroughly as it goes. Thanks again!
                    Justin

• Rocker skin prep before final installation.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2500.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	106289
                  there is a raised shoulder around this corner from the initial tooling process. I've left it alone in the past but this area always plays games with the levelness and transition off the door.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2501.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	106290
                  This shoulder was hammered back even and in reaction the flanged corner shape relaxed a bit. The skin is clamped to my table here to keep it flat and the flanged corner was heated and hammered back in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2539.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	106292
                  Next was the step flanges on both ends. They are stamped a little deeper than the thickness of 20 gauge so to reduce filler it was clamped to my table again and a section of 20G. inserted. The step was then hammered back to the depth of this section.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2540.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	106291
                  Now the surfaces will carry over much closer and reduce the amount of solder needed. Going back to what you where saying earlier Roy; had I not been through this before I wouldn't have thought to question these parts. I would have just installed them as is. I'm much more sanicle now. I expect nothing to fit out of the box.

Name:	IMG_2564.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	106293

Last bit of business before install was a good coat of sealer and then some black on the back side.
                  Last edited by JTR70; 07-14-2019, 06:32 AM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Final installation:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2569.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.7 KB ID:	106295
                    Always that "one more thing" to do before you can proceed. Seam sealer applied to the rolled wire corners that are well out of the heat affected zone.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2570.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	106296
                    A long road with a ton of prep required to both the car and the new rocker but I finally made it to the final install.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2572.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	106297
                    Best average 3MM bottom door gap and with no overbite.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2573.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	106298
                    Rocker has a much better vertical profile without the Pre-A type roll under it showed up with. Also highlighting the smooth transition from door bottom to rocker here.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2571.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	106299
                    Begin welding on that back flange first.

Thanks for stopping by!
                    Justin
                    Last edited by JTR70; 07-14-2019, 06:48 AM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Super result Justin bet you are pleased with that !!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                        JTR70 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Roy! I did feel a lot better about it but there was still more to come...
                        Justin

• welding up back corner.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2578.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	106309
                      Plug welds first.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2609.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	106310
                      Wire leads fused next.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2612.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.2 KB ID:	106311
                      Last was a sheath to both rewrap and support the wire at the weld joint. Back filler strip inserted and ready to weld up.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2818.JPG Views:	0 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	106312
                      PIA to crawl back up in here (with the brake hub also in my way) to weld this junction up completely but eventually got it buttoned up.

Name:	IMG_2822.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	106313
                      Ready for a skim coat of lead back here.

Thanks for looking!
                      Justin

Last edited by JTR70; 07-15-2019, 06:35 AM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Soldering rear rocker joint.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2824.JPG Views:	0 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	106315
                        Lead wiped with tinning acid and ready to apply some solder.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2826.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.9 KB ID:	106316
                        really out of practice so it took a few applications to get I coated.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2828.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	106317
                        Excess lead filed and leveled to shape. Got the transition on that wired lip I was after.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2830.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	106318
                        Just a skim coat to cover the joint was all that's really needed. Most of the features and lines will stay steel versus being formed from solder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2831.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	106319
                        Began heat shrinking some high spots as it went. Posting the front rocker work next.

Thanks for stopping by!
                        Justin
                        Last edited by JTR70; 07-15-2019, 06:56 AM.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                        X