No announcement yet.

Chassis 85517 Number 17 356 Convertible D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess back whenever the person attempted that repair the car had nowhere near the value, its these days its so important to get it correct as times have changed on the restoration front. Mind you probably easier to do the correct job in the first place !
    Looks good Justin.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Roy! This wasn't a "person" but a Porsche restoration shop and all this steel and leadwork was performed just over a year ago so this car was certainly worth the extra effort. These entries are several months old so lots more issues like this one yet to come.
      Justin

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	105839
    Series of high spots along the weld joint in need of some heat shrinking.

Name:	IMG_1609.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	105840
    Now I can thin down the filler surrounding these spot.

Name:	IMG_1610.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	105841
    Obliterating more of the rocker shootz but no choice.

Name:	IMG_1611.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	105842
    The main goal in all of this is to have thin uniform wired edge that does not appear to be caked in filler.

Name:	IMG_1613.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	105843
    Now I can go back to straight body work.
    Thanks for looking!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, today I glanced down at my exact areas you have been working on and especially the area you just advised the Porsche resto company got their hands on. Well of course thank goodness, mine looks perfect with the wired edges. I feel lucky about that. Just how could they have done that bodge work and charged for it too.!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
        JTR70 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Roy, Fundamentally it was a sound job but for whatever the reasons many corners where cut and as my work continues I'm finding more and more.

Widening the hood gap.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1620.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	105868
      I prefer a smaller and tighter gap and I have let my personal preference lead me astray for a while. After going over an old discussion I had with Bruce Baker it became clear that I needed to widen this gap by at least another MM. Final gaps should be in the 3mm range +or- so a raw initial gap should be approaching 4mm so by the time you account for primer and final paint thickness your in this 3mm width range. This flat bastard file pictured above is just shy of 4mm and made for a perfect tracer scribe.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1622.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	105869
      Scribing around the back corners as even though the hood was moved forward these still ran tight. Lots of solder used in this area.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1623.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	105870
      newly established scribe line down front. The gaps would have been way too tight after final paint. Just fine for my personal taste but not correct.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1626.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.5 KB ID:	105871
      Now to bring the rest of the surface down level.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1624.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.1 KB ID:	105872
      Hood and seal removed (yet again) to allow plenty of unobstructed light so I could see what I was doing.
      Last edited by JTR70; 06-21-2019, 07:37 AM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1628.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	105874
        Carefully whittling it down one pass at a time.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1629.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	105875
        A very slow and tedious process but getting there a section at a time. Surface to the left chased even.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1655.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.9 KB ID:	105876

This was small drain hole that opened at level with the initial surface when it arrived. As you can see a good 4mm now shaved off.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1656.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	105878
        Nose all but carved out now heading up the sides.
        Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Newly widened gaps complete
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1663.JPG Views:	0 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	105880
          Opened a lot more generously than I like but its even and uniform on both sides and they'll only get narrower from here.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1661.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	105881
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1662.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	105882
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1664.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.4 KB ID:	105883
          Sides seem even with the rear but actually the rear gap runs a little too wide (after the earlier hood adjustment)and will be addressed later. One disaster at a time.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1674.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.6 KB ID:	105884
          Continued swatching and blocking the obvious in preparation of another sealer coat. Also getting the front bumper ready for a coat of sealer pictured here laying across the dash.
          Last edited by JTR70; 06-22-2019, 04:10 AM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	IMG_1680.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	105886
            Chased the front end group as far as I could.

Name:	IMG_1684.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	105887
            Another round of sealer.

Name:	IMG_1685.JPG
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	105888
            Prepping all the exposed lead with soapy water and a good scrub to be sure there were no tinning acids.

Name:	IMG_1686.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	105889
            Begin sealing the front bumper first.
            Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	IMG_1690.JPG
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	105891
              Begin sealing over the last round. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1706.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	105892
              The following session blocking and bodywork phase begins on the bumper. Fortunately it didn't require a whole lot.

Name:	IMG_1713.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	105893
              Simultaneously blocking the latest sealer coat.

Name:	IMG_1712.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	105894
              Chasing shape transfers , slight low spots, nicks etc. Though it looks about the same the blemishes and imperfections are getting smaller with each cycle.

Name:	IMG_1709.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	105895
              Everything chased as far as I can and now ready to seal this stage off and see what I've got. Tedious and repetitive? you bet! It all just depends on how far you want to chase it and what level of final presentation is going to make you happy.
              More later...
              Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

First little test coat:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1735.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.3 KB ID:	105897
                Getting down to the nitty gritty
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1736.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	105898
                Slicking the nicks and chips down in the jamb surface that will show.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1708.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	105899
                At this point I need a little feedback in color so I'm mixing some old stuff together for an initial tracer coat. Man, some of this stuff goes back 15 years so it nice to be able to finally put it to some useful purpose.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1743.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	105900
                Front bumper was shot first. Turned out a little darker than this Meissen blue sample but for this job it just needs to be in the same family. We'll call this version "nice -n- blue".
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1741.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.3 KB ID:	105901
                Only mixed up enough this time to get the bumper thoroughly coated but had just enough left over for a teaser; I was anxious to see the front in a little color.
                Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Front bumper blocking...

Name:	IMG_1754.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	105904
                  Blocking color coat for low spots.

Name:	IMG_1755.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	105905
                  At first I thought I was down to just a few obvious low spots.

Name:	IMG_1761.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	105906
                  However as it progressed I found myself swatching a little more.

Name:	IMG_1762.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	105907
                  Super thin though and translucent. I just can't stand leaving waves and rollers in the reflection.

Name:	IMG_1759.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	105908
                  Same treatment for the area I color spotted.

Justin Rio

Comment

Front block sanding continues
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1783.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	105910
                    Swatching in some areas
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1785.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	105911
                    But in other areas like this trough I am pushing to make the fillers and top coats as thinned out as possible without going backwards and losing the shape or contour. I've gone through several layers though here. The body is getting better while the filler is getting thinner. Gotta love that..
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1787.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	105912
                    Pushed the front as far as I can.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1788.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	105913
                    Getting used to the gaps. What matters most is that it is consistent and even throughout.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1786.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	105914
                    Another coat of sealer and a quick color coat next.
                    Last edited by JTR70; 06-22-2019, 07:09 PM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Great progress Justin, and good demo of blocking. Thanks

Comment

• JTR70
                        JTR70 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Phil! Just documenting the process.

Second work coat

Name:	IMG_1809.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	105926
                      Front bumper body work completed.

Name:	IMG_1811.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	105927
                      Priority was the bumper and the excess was applied to the nose.

Name:	IMG_1810.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	105928
                      Closer still

Name:	IMG_1812.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	105929
                      Not satisfied with it yet but its getting better.

Name:	IMG_1825.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	105930
                      Once everything dried I mocked up the front bumper completely just to make sure. All that's left now is to sand this coat smooth and shoot the final color on.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Quick front end mock up

Name:	IMG_1827.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	105932
                        While I was at it I thought I'd mock up the headlamps too.

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	105933
                        Base seals snug in nicely.

Name:	IMG_1831.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	105934
                        Head lamps seat down fully with the seals in. So far so good.

Name:	IMG_1833.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	105935
                        Happy with the final bumper fitment as well.

Name:	IMG_1836.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	105936
                        The consistent reflection across that hood gap was very promising.
                        Onto the back of the hood to cowl next. A whole new adventure.
                        Thanks for looking!
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Onto the front cowl to hood transition issue.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1838.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	105939
                          Now with the hood all but set at the front and up the sides it was now time to face this rear misalignment and transitional contour issue. Both the back edge of the hood and the leading edge of the cowl are curling downward as they meet.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1839.JPG Views:	0 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	105940
                          Looking at about a 4MM height discrepancy from the hood up to the cowl. Both back corners are close its just really low in the middle.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1847.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	105941
                          Certainly unacceptable to have a 4MM+ of filler on the edge of this hood so I was exploring my options. Began first by attempting to tap up the leading edge.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1848.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	105942
                          The result was mixed at best. The very edges of the two panels where more even but as you can see there was a sway-back profile; completely unacceptable. My next thought was to file the holes in the hinge and bring the entire back end up. This would have turned the trick here and smoothed this area out but in doing so would force the nose of the hood downward completely destroying the line and contour I just spent all that time on correcting. This was an oversight when the front end group was installed and this is pretty much the fitment on the day it was delivered here. The rake and height should have been set and established much more closely then the entire front end built around thisbase line. Well the die has obviously been set so I have to make this hood fit with what we've got.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1849.JPG Views:	0 Size:	124.9 KB ID:	105943
                          The hood has been raking the seal forward as it closes so this was more confirmation that the back of does need to come up. My fix coming up next.

Thanks for looking!
                          Justin
                          Last edited by JTR70; 06-24-2019, 05:00 AM.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                          X