Chassis 85517 Number 17 356 Convertible D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower left corner contour.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1435.JPG Views:	0 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	105625
    With the body in white the cornered edge really began looking out of place to me. (green arrow)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1434.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	105626
    Checking my original reference confirmed it. The corner is much more graceful and rolled under.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1440.JPG Views:	0 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	105627
    The way the nose and fenders are set together now means that there is just too much metal here to make the turn. It has to go somewhere so this excess forces the corner down to make the turn.
    A quick relief cut fixes that.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1441.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	105628
    Just about ready to throw on a tack weld but I wanted the corner loaded and set where I need it before I joined it back together. Bottle jack pushes it up where I'd like it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1443.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	105629
    Welded and dressed. Still required a heat shrink spot to soften the turn. Stubborn...

Justin Rio

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	105631
      Corner now falls into line with the rest of the flange.

Name:	IMG_1462.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	105632
      Moving onto prepping the right corner for sealer.

Name:	IMG_1458.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	105633
      Same story with this side but actually a little worse.

Name:	IMG_1461.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	105634
      Filed it down to an acceptable thickness and thought I was finished but later had issues with the wire lead just behind it. That fix to follow.

Name:	IMG_1464.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	105635
      Right corner in first coat of builder sealer.

Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, been catching up on this thread and really like the way you have solved some of the bodywork problems. Good photos and explanations. Tell you something else. I found on opening the forum and then selecting the thread area then looking over to the right the notification of when the last post was added to the thread. Along side that is a small blue box with 2 arrows in it. By clicking that small box it takes you directly to the last entry made. Now previously I missed using that box and was always going to the start of the thread sometimes years back in time.

Have I been daft in not seeing or realizing that small box takes you to the last thread entry??

Makes a big difference!!!! People as daft as me might be making the same mistake?? Or is it I am just getting old !

Roy

Name:	IMG_3046.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	756.7 KB
ID:	105684

Last edited by JTR70; 06-10-2019, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Roy, No its not just you I've had other guys ask. Yes, the rectangular blue box will take you to the latest post and so will these blue circles to the left of the title in the above photo. They'll disappear after your first view but the other icon you mentioned is always there. Again its still a new system for us all.
          Justin

Bodywork phase on the front end continues.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1463.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	105687
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1465.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.3 KB ID:	105688
        Begin block sanding the sealer to find the low spots.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1466.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.8 KB ID:	105689
        Working from the edge of the hood outward.

Name:	image_60806.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	105690

After several passes the smooth taper and transition off the hood I was after is taking shape.

Name:	image_60807.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	105691

The lump at the emblem in the profile shape I was dealing with at the beginning now gone.

Last edited by JTR70; 06-10-2019, 07:20 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, that hood to front bodywork gap is looking perfection already. Tell me I presume the rubber seal is not fitted or did you make allowance for that. I remember on the Carrera and on my car even, a new seal can make it difficult to get the gap correct from a height point of view. Its taken years for my seal to compress to the right value. I know seal manufacturers can vary and its important to find the best one.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Roy! Oh no, none of the fitment or gapping could be done without the seal in place. As a matter of fact it was a huge pain removing and reinstalling sections of the seal as the work went. You're right the seal thickness and profile can vary and wreak havoc on your closing fitment.

Working the hood:

Name:	IMG_1499.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	105723
          Hinge detail: With the hood now reset in its best adjusted position I Welded up the old alignment holes on the hood mount flanges.

Name:	IMG_1500.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	105724
          And redrilled them to the hinges new position. One of the details guys in the know look for when you have your hood open at a Porsche event.

Name:	IMG_1489.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	105725
          Begin blocking the hood to highlight the low spots.

Name:	IMG_1490.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	105726
          Not as rough as it appears but it will require a skim coat.

Name:	IMG_1504.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	105727
          Begin skimming..
          Justin Rio

Comment

Following with interest, as will be doing this shortly. Justin, do those hinge pocket flanges have the extra 2 holes?

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Phil, no, these have the one hole for the hood prop.

Skimming and blocking continued:

Name:	IMG_1524e.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	105744
            Swatch and sand.

Name:	IMG_1531.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	105743
            You can see that its only requiring less than credit cards thickness of filler to chase out that lump in the contour I was dealing with initially.

Name:	IMG_1534.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	105745
            After several rounds I'd chased it about as far as I could so it was now time to get it all behind a uniform coat of sealer and begin the process again.

Name:	IMG_1550.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	105746
            In sealer and ready to chase it all again.

Thanks for looking!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Wish my front hood gap was as good as that Justin !! My 60 year old original wings and lid cannot compare to yours. I have to guess over those years things move somewhat. Sure its not excessive but when you see such even spacing all round on yours I find it hard to believe the factory ever got each car that good when they had to do it.

Super!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                JTR70 commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't let these shots fool you Roy, I was still along way from home as the gap ran tight on the right side. I'll post all that work next. Well on a positive note good, bad , or indifferent original is original and yours still is.

Hood gap chasing continued.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1563.JPG Views:	0 Size:	41.3 KB ID:	105781
              Okay with the left side gap so far.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1564.JPG Views:	0 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	105782
              But the left was running way too tight. I had opened it as it made the turn as it was all lead but just after the weld joint from nose to fender it turned all steel.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1565.JPG Views:	0 Size:	34.8 KB ID:	105783
              This middle run was tight and with no filler to carve out I was weighing my options. Could relief cut it but was trying to avoid that.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1569.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	105784
              Then I experimented with tape marking the gap I needed and carefully ball pinging the shoulder back. This turned the trick!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1568.JPG Views:	0 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	105785
              Had to go very slowly and carefully for uniform shoulder but it was yielding the result I wanted. Another benefit was that the hood sat higher than the fender through here and once an area was tapped it swelled up nearly level with the latched hood. A complete win/win here.
              More later...
              Thanks for looking!
              Justin

Last edited by JTR70; 06-16-2019, 06:47 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

Dodged a bullet on that one Justin. Nice job. At what point is the weatherstrip installed?

Comment

• JTR70
                  JTR70 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Phil! The seal has been installed all throughout the process. You can see it laying off to the side in photo 4 above. This is one aspect that really couldn't be conveyed in these series of photos. I must have had that seal off and on over 50 times through out. When I shot the sealer it was off then reinstalled then partially removed as needed as the work went, repeated then repeated again. This was a real PIA time consuming part of the process to say the least.
                  Justin

More swatching and sanding across the hood over to the fenders.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1597.JPG Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	105798

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1589.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	105799
                Right gap finally opened up even with the left side.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1588.JPG Views:	0 Size:	41.1 KB ID:	105802
                Even and smooth transition from the edge of the hood onto the fenders.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60867.jpg Views:	3 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	105800
                Smooth and consistent nose to hood profile with out that humped profile it showed up with.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_60868.jpg Views:	3 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	105801
                Just about ready for another round of sealer. Which means the trunk seal has to come back out again.

Thanks for stopping by!
                Justin

Last edited by JTR70; 06-17-2019, 06:57 AM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

Justin this is why a first class body restoration will cost so much money. That's a really good explanation on how not to fall into traps but take time and think.
                  Well done!
                  Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you Roy! Just doing the best that I can to get the body and all of its closing to fit and flow together. Glad you can appreciate just what can go into a job.
                    Justin

Right lower front corner:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1599.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	105821
                  Needed a break from block sanding so I tackled this lower right front corner. Its too flat and too fat with solder. Paper template profile shape based on my OG reference car.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1602.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	105822
                  Lead pretty much comprises the illusion of a rolled lip. The end of the wire where it meets that flange was set to the outside of this flange the lead was there to also burry this small problem.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1604.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.7 KB ID:	105823
                  Lead removed and in process of heating and rolling this bottom leading edge under as it should be. Already relief cut ahead of that wire issue.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1605.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	105824
                  New Rolled profile shape. Close enough...
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1607.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	105825
                  Wire lead at flange corrected and all welded back up. Greatly reduced the need for filler here. Heading up that weld joint to heat shrink a few high spots highlighted in marker.

Thanks for looking!
                  Justin
                  Last edited by JTR70; 06-18-2019, 07:16 AM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Amazing the shortcuts some take. Nice solution Justin.

Comment

• JTR70
                      JTR70 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Phil! The shop that performed this work slings lead like nobodies business but I think they relied too heavily on that talent at times.
                  Working...
                  X