Notice: explode(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/url.php on line 207 Notice: explode(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/url.php on line 254 Notice: explode(): Passing null to parameter #2 ($string) of type string is deprecated in .../vb5/route.php on line 1630 1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625 - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTR70
    replied
    Hinge mount remounted.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0664.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.4 KB ID:	114415 Fore and aft placement of the flange on both the hinge and hood itself back into position before all the cutting. Initial tack weld laid down.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0666.jpg Views:	0 Size:	510.0 KB ID:	114416 Eventually got enough tack welds along the outer edge to hold this sweet spot for hood removal. Backed the bolts loose to test for any tension. I'm shooting for a natural fit with no lateral loads going through the hinge from being forced over. So far so good.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0668.jpg Views:	3 Size:	193.1 KB ID:	114417 Removed so I could lay down some good beads along the outer edge where the old gas welds originally were. I needed this side fully secured before attempting to work the other side into shape.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0667.jpg Views:	3 Size:	210.8 KB ID:	114418 Going to have to use some heat to get this side over for a shaped fit. This mount is every bit of 16 gauge and the much thinner hood frame would stand little chance against it cold. The substructure would conform more to flange versus the other way around which is what I'm after.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0670.jpg Views:	3 Size:	223.9 KB ID:	114419 After several series of heat and hammer work this side was now very close.
    Last edited by JTR70; 07-21-2023, 08:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Hinge mount refitting:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0652.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.1 KB ID:	114409 One more shot of the initial hood fitment just laying on there loose. Corner is tucked a little low here but all these misalignments are well within striking distance. The hood has to be mounted and latched before I can take it any further.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0643.jpg Views:	0 Size:	495.7 KB ID:	114410 Now time to reset and remount the left hood hinge mounting flange.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0644.jpg Views:	0 Size:	491.3 KB ID:	114411 Its pretty much going to go right back into its original position though with a slight change in approach angle so the hinge can remain centered in the pocket.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0648.jpg Views:	3 Size:	517.1 KB ID:	114412 The original hammered over edges where limiting the amount of lateral movement so I hammered them back out flat and will reshape them over the substructure as before once its tacked into the needed position.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0645.jpg Views:	3 Size:	182.1 KB ID:	114413 Mounting flange is bolted down to the hinge where it was marked in its best adjusted position before I dismantled the hood. Ready to tack weld this flange back into the sweet spot.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 07-20-2023, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Roy! It will need some minor tweeking as it goes along with the fenders and the nose as their fitted together but definitely much improved over where it began...and now rust free up front.

• roy mawbey
    replied
    Looking really good Justin, an early test but so promising . Well done !

Roy

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    part 2:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0635.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.8 KB ID:	114401 Kept pressing downward until I got this side to come in at 4 inches to match the right side at the same spot.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0637.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.6 KB ID:	114402 Locked that position in with a pair of vise grips and am now ready to plug that old spot weld to reset this previously damaged area.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0640.jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.7 KB ID:	114403 Leading edge completely crimped tight with all the lap joints rewelded. Its a solid unit once again.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0642.jpg Views:	0 Size:	494.2 KB ID:	114404 Substructure's leading edge where it buckled now hugs the skin profile as best as I could hope for.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0651.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.7 KB ID:	114405 First test fit just laying loose against the car after reassembly. Hoods Crowned profile comparison along the edge of the fender much improved but there is a bit of metal finishing and hammer work of course yet to do. The true test will be after its actually hinged and mounted but a promising start so far.

More later...
    Thanks for looking!

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 07-18-2023, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Hood reassembly Continued:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0618.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.0 KB ID:	114395 Lateral section reinserted next.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0620.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.7 KB ID:	114396 Begin welding this section back in working from the rear forward. All the original drilled out spot welds realigned at the back lap joint and tacked to hold it while Its plug welded next.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0621.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.5 KB ID:	114397 Forward lap joint will be last to be welded so I can reset and manipulate the lateral profile which stood too proud in relation to the fender.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	114398 Rear lap joint welding compete with gas weld seam detail added back in where there were. Flanged lip crimped back tightly as I make my way forward.

Name:	IMG_0636.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	114399 Headed into that damaged high crowned area along the lateral edge. Measured off the floor to compare with the other side and added some downward pressure to relax the curve until it matched the right side.

Last edited by JTR70; 07-18-2023, 08:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Roy! Now was the moment to address these ticking time bombs while we were this far into it. This lower leading edge of the hood will always be exposed to moisture either from being washed, or driven in the occasional rain shower. It will pool along the trunk seal and go to work on that lapped underside leading edge or some water could also get by the hood handle seal allowing it in behind through the stud hole as it did initially. Now, no matter happens, all that old rust is gone and no longer growing. As I said earlier, we'll all be long gone before it becomes a problem again. See all the fun you're missing having a rust free hood? Thanks again! Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 07-15-2023, 09:31 PM.

• roy mawbey
    replied
    Justin so sensible of you and your mate to decide to do that! As you say a few years and it would have showed up. Again I have to say it thank goodness mine is rust free. Never seen that repqir noted and made safe as you have done on any site.

Well done,
    Roy

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0602.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.2 KB ID:	114386 Welded up the breaches that revealed themselves after cleaning.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0608.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.7 KB ID:	114387 If the rust had been left in there these are the ticking time bombs that would have made themselves known in the next few years. Hood handle repair metal finished while I still have clear access to the backside.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0603.jpg Views:	0 Size:	261.3 KB ID:	114388Primered and painted and ready to reassemble . Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0612.jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.8 KB ID:	114389 Getting the original spot welds lined up in preparation for the first tack welds.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0613.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.7 KB ID:	114390Tack welded first at the original gas welds. Then flattened out the leading edge of the lap joint and rewelded over the old drilled out spot welds. Squeezing down the lip again as it went. Happy with how its going right back into place so far. Continuing on with reassmbly.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 07-14-2023, 08:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Last of the concerning rust removed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0598.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.2 KB ID:	114380 Leading edge of the inner frame of course left heavily pitted but surprisingly no holes to backfill.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0597.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.9 KB ID:	114381 Will sleep better at night knowing that this leading edge under pinch seam is now free of rust.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0599.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.7 KB ID:	114382 Skin itself now all clean of that old advanced rust.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	259.6 KB ID:	114383
    Only a few additional pin holes have shown up after cleaning. Quickly filled with a gas weld as before.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0601.jpg Views:	0 Size:	242.1 KB ID:	114384 Onto getting these surfaces behind a good coat of epoxy and paint then its finally time to reassemble this hood.

Thanks for looking!
    Justin

Last edited by JTR70; 07-14-2023, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Quick detour before hood reassembly:
    ​ This deep pitting around the nose of this hood is concerning. The rust has only breached in two spots for the moment but the advanced rust that lurks in behind it will certainly rear its ugly head in the future at some point.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0577.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.6 KB ID:	114373 Same goes for the underside, pitted and with the rust lurking just under that lap joint. There is no avoiding it as the water it will come into contact with is going to run down and settle along this leading edge and no matter how well its seam sealed and painted water always finds its way. After talking with my buddy, now was time to address it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0585.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.4 KB ID:	114374 Its a complicated area and while both pieces are pitted I am 90% sure we'll get away without a patch repair. Just going to clean thoroughly and seal with epoxy and paint. With the left side out its technically half way there so now most certainly was the time if it was going to be addressed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0586.jpg Views:	0 Size:	268.8 KB ID:	114375 Only surprise is that this area wasn't rotted out entirely. Look at that old water line; this had a pool of water in it on more than one occasion.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0587.jpg Views:	0 Size:	246.8 KB ID:	114376 Once the acid devours this rot I'm sure there will be a pin hole or two to close but they be easily soldered shut with a gas weld.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0589.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.5 KB ID:	114377 Though there remains some rust under the right and rear section of the substructure this is as far as we need to go. We'll all be long gone by the time those areas ever become an issue. My main concern is this rusty low spot where the water will try to settle again. Acid bath next.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 07-07-2023, 08:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Hood reassembly prep work complete:

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	114365 Inner surfaces of all the components cleaned of rust and ready for a coat of epoxy and a top coat.

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	114366 Epoxied and followed up with a quick of semi-gloss.

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	114367 Ready to begin reassembly; That up next.

Thanks for looking!

Justin

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    Hood work continued:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0571.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.7 KB ID:	114359 All the basic restraightening prep complete. Onto the acid bath next for this substructure.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0572.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.4 KB ID:	114360 Hood inner surface all clean and ready for a quick sealer coat.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0573.jpg Views:	3 Size:	142.9 KB ID:	114361 While the substructure soaked I went onto welding up the rust damage to the nose. Took a step drill and opened up the rusted out mounting hole just big enough to get past the thinner metal and back to something I could weld to.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0576.jpg Views:	3 Size:	169.2 KB ID:	114362 A scrap of old door skin repurposed for the patch. I had to dome it a little first to carry on the profile shape of the skin.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0578.jpg Views:	3 Size:	206.6 KB ID:	114363 Patch all stitched in and then gas welded the lower rust breaches closed. This lower edge is not long for this world though. The pits are very deep out here and the backside is just as bad with advanced rust still lurking underneath. I'll have to confer with my buddy to see what he'd like to do. More later...

Thanks for looking.

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 07-05-2023, 09:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks a lot Roy! Agree, all this work would have been impossible to relay in any great detail but for all the modern gadgets we now take for granted.

• roy mawbey
    replied
    Justin, really good information and photos on how you have attempted that repair. It would be impossible to put that just into words as you need to see it! Those stage photos are so good . Twenty years ago just not possible to do that so easily on a forum. There must be a few front lids around with the same problems and guys wondering how to correct it ?? Hope they read this!

Roy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X