No announcement yet.

Right Hand Drive 356

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached are some pics of my cars undercarriage. The car was rebuild professionally by a Spyder works in Melbourne in 1990 and has been maintained since then.

I have never used rustbullet but a mate has just done it on his 23 window. That was why I was asking for advice. Might just stick to the conventional por15. Thanks Justin. On the service manual, will try looking for repros. Heard Charlie White makes excellent repros.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-08-18-4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	48042

Name:	image_2014-08-18-5.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	48043

Name:	image_2014-08-18-6.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	48044

Name:	image_2014-08-18-7.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	48045

Name:	image_2014-08-18-8.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	48046

Name:	image_2014-08-18-9.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	48047

Name:	image_2014-08-18-10.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	48048

Also am wondering, why my car did not come with the horn ring steering. Is this period correct?

Comment

A very interesting read for all your 356 collectors out there.

http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/automobiles/collectibles/01PORSCHE.html&OQ=pagewantedQ3DallQ26_rQ3D1Q26&OP=2ff4e2c4Q2F9Q26HD9Q5DJD9qqq9VDjm9RQ26Q5BToQ26Q2 6Dl9ldCd9dh9dC9xQ3BDQ26jQ26gSm_T9Q5BQ26mm_Q5BDSgm_ T9dCQ3AZivBQ3EQ51XVDjm

Comment

Okay, since this is painted, running car you obviously do not have the luxury of media blasting the underside clean. Are the plans to just degrease and wire wheel the rest to knock down any scale and old coating? If so I think Por15 is going to be your best bet in this instance. What's also good about it is that it can be brushed or rolled on (like bed liner coating)which will give a good undercoated look and eliminate the danger of overspray to the body if a spray gun was required.

Thanks for the link!
        Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Justin. Using a wire brush now and will be using Por15 later. Will post pics of it completed.

Just realised that it's a shame, I'm staying in Malaysia. First I could not get the toolkit. Secondly when I contacted Porsche For the COA, they said they would not send it to Malaysia

Comment

Has anyone had any experience with Carcoon?

http://www.carcoon.com.au/browse/drive-in/

Which would the 356 fit in? Thanks

Comment

Thanks for posting this Murugesh. I am not familiar with these but I will most certainly be in need of one once my car is in paint and final assembly. Its home will continue to be my workshop so I need to shield it from grinder dust and paint overspray as work on other projects goes on. This looks like the perfect home for it. I'd have to measure the car to be sure but I think a small tent would be fine. From what I've read so far it would make for a good climate controlled atmosphere for your Porsche. The big question for you is: will they ship to Malaysia?
              Justin Rio

Comment

Emailed them and they do ship!!

Comment

What is the ideal tyre size for the original rims on a 356A?

Name:	image_2014-08-27.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	48550

Thanks!

Comment

Hey Murugesh, I asked Bruce B. about what tire size is best here was his response:
                    http://www.universaltire.com/vredestein/165hr15-vredestein-sprint-classic-blackwall.html

A bias-ply tire of 5.50 or 5.90x15 would be good...even in a whitewall.....but the best period-looking radial tire now for the least money is Vredestein, now an Indian company but still marked "Made in Holland." Somehow, Kumhos on an A don't look quite right even if they are good tires of the same size.

Thanks,
                    Bruce

Hope this helps. Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Murugesh,

Bruce is correct the size is 165 R 15. The Vredestein tyres are as Justin says a nice tyre. Many have bought them over here. But they are more expensive than some.

I bought my car new tyres over five years ago and bought Firestone F560 versions 165 R 15 sizing for my standard rims. They look good and have been fine on my car. If you intended track events maybe pay more, but the Firestones made in France are reasonable in price and good in my opinion for normal driving.

I have looked for a photo. Can you believe I can't find a specific one just of the tyre. Maybe this one gives an idea. Don't know if you
                      can get Firestone in Malaysia?

Name:	2011_1025wyl8insurance002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	48714

Roy

Comment

Thank you everyone. Still having trouble finding someone willing to import them. Seem to only find kumho. If nothing else comes up would then just put on a set of kumhos :/

Has anyone heard of cilajet?

Comment

Hi guys sorry been busy with work.

A quick update on the car. Anti rust has been applied. All rust been taken care off. Good for another 10 years!

Weather in Malaysia is bad (humid and very hot) and my dad and I feel that we need to install an air con in the car. Has it been done before? If so, I would kindly ask of you could take some pictures of your engine and your blower in the car. I am a little lost on what I need and how it should be done. Thanks guys!

Comment

Hey Murugesh, was wondering what happened to you. Sounds like your making great progress with the car in getting weatherized for the tropics. If you're interested in putting A/C in it talk to Mark Van Deventor. He's Porsche guy here in Las Vegas that has been installing his own units (based on the old Dillon air design) for over 10 years now. He normal installs them himself but has sold them in kit form before. Look up: 356 Porsche West.com Here's an A/C sytem he installed in a Pre-a coupe a while back.

Name:	776_2014-10-22.JPG
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	51160

Name:	773_2014-10-22.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	51161

Name:	771.JPG
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	51162
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin. Do you have an idea what it would cost?

I just ordered fresh carpets from stoddard for my A too!

Comment

I believe the basic kit was around 5K however the basic kits were really designed for 356T6B and C cars. A unit could be retro fitted for an A car but the evaporator box and blower housing is designed to ride on top of the reconfigured B&C gas tank. You'll have to contact him for an accurate quote and details. To give you an idea this is an original trunk mounted evaporator box and squirrel cage:

Name:	766.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	51204

Name:	767.JPG
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	51205
                                As you might be suspecting there is a lot of engineering and plumbing involved I this not to mention a fender mounted remote oil cooler should also be installed to help dissipate the additional heat being generated.
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X