Right Hand Drive 356

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murugesh,

I noticed you had the carbs ' tuned ' a few days ago? Did the person syncronize the carbs? How did he set the mixture screws. Did he follow the instructions for setting the carbs?

When you start the car and you push down by hand the throttle linkages on the carbs to overide the accelerator pedal and you do an up and down movement with your hands to raise and lower the RPM from 1,000 -say 3,800rpm does it respond instantly?

You say its sluggish, could still be jets, does it pop or bang a little? Is it sluggish when just stationary or do you mean on the move?

I would not think its the linkages you need to buy unless they have been assembled wrong. Does your car idle perfectly around 900rpm?

If the distributor advance is not happening it will make a difference but it was doing fast speeds recently. Are you positive all sparking plugs are working are the leads all connected? Sometimes if one plug is not sparking it makes the engine sound sluggish.

I have run with original distributor and points and would not change that system myself. Check the gap and see that the points are not pitted or burnt though. Does the ' rotor ' you can see if you remove the distributor cap move quickly back under spring pressure if you turn it by hand?

Report back on the carb work carried out!

Roy

Comment

• It was the throttle connector. Small fix which made so much of difference. Classic car motoring. Not for those who are impatient, I realised.

Guys do you think it is worth ordering brand new accelerator rods and cables to fix on the car,though they are working well at the moment.

On another note,

http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/car1.html

Steve, is this a RL? Original RHD?

Comment

• Oh the mechanic working on the car, misjudged when reversing the car and scrapped his 244 (
        I guess shit happens, waiting for the new year to send the car to the painters to touch it up. Hope they are able to match the paint well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-12-26.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	53989

Name:	image_2014-12-26-2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	53990

Name:	image_2014-12-26-3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	53991

Comment

• Murugesh,

Shame about the paint! Wonder if you were given the paint coding?? Difficult to match on that area without knowing. Maybe on the restoration information if you have,someone has listed that? The original paint code when the car was new should be found when you open the passenger door and look on smaller identification plate rivited on the hinge plate. ( But maybe its no longer the original colour?)

My throttle linkages etc are all original, If they work well and for example you can twist the ball ended part and it moves easily and smooth with no massive play then they are probably okay. I do grease mine with a light grease just a smear to lubricate. Remember if you go out to your car and without starting it just svivel those ball ended throttle rods they must be free to just move. If they are not the carbs idle will fluctuate.

Roy

Comment

• The paint was painted in Melb by the previous owner. Hoping the spectrometer would help in my case. It's still the original aquamrine blue metallic and I am hoping that it can be matched perfectly.

Thanks for the advise Roy. I need to learn how to grease my linkages. Will learn how to do so.

Comment

• OOH! Can't believe that happened! Sorry to see that Murugesh. I hope you have shop out your way talented enough to blend that repair.
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Happy new year everyone!!

Name:	image_2015-01-01.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	54282

Comment

• Best to you in the New Year as well Murugesh! This is your cars tucked-away home I take it?
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Yes Justin, this is the 3 cars back at home. Car has been painted and thankfully I can't tell with my untrained eye.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

• Hi guys , can anyone lead me to a place where i could find a single wiper stalk, as you know one of it flew off and I am having trouble replacing it. Does anyone have a spare set or can i get them from stoddard?

Name:	IMG_8013.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	54760

as you can see the drivers side does not have a wiper, it flew off during my 100mph drive

Comment

• Murugesh,

Because your car is RHD there is to my knowledge only one place you can buy the RHD arms and blades. LHD drive are kinked the other way.

So contact:

www.autoforeignservices.com e-mail is: autoforeign@gmsil.com.

You might havd to buy a pair? Also some 356A had pickle fork versions
                        so check his website carefully before ordering.

Roy

Comment

• Murugesh,

I have just checked the website. The RHD versions seem to be from 1965 and 912 not 356! Their advert I had kept was not clear on that.

You might have to buy from Stoddard and re-bend the stalk to suit the remaining one you have and re-paint it. Or e-mail Stoddard and ask if they have any RHD version.

Sorry for my mail not being clear above.

Roy

Comment

• Murugesh, If all you can find are left hand version arms it would be very straight forward to heat and re-bend it for a correct right hand orientation.
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=788367717865303&id=144955088873239&fs=5

For those on you on FB, can you help me like and make my photo the most liked. Thanks In advance guys. Some frenly competition going on between me and my mate.

Comment

• Guys,

I was looking through my old photo albums and found a few photos I had forgotten about from around 38 years ago of some of the work I did then on my RHD 356A. A lot more are on slides which I have not converted. Put these below in this thread just to show I was trying to keep my RHD looking nice. The closing panel on the rear longitudinal was not driven like that. A few small holes and the hammer and chisel soon opened it up to the hole. I made of course the panel to replace and gas welded it in. For me, gas has that advantage of allowing the repair panel to heated to a point where after tacking it could be formed to match the contour of the remaining area so well. I must find at some point all my leading slides think my brother has them.

Name:	2015_1119wyl8restoration53jgnpicsPike021.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	55232

Name:	2015_1119wyl8restoration53jgnpicsPike023.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	55233

Name:	2015_1119wyl8restoration53jgnpicsPike022.jpg