No announcement yet.

Right Hand Drive 356

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy, thanks for the pics. Do you still have your A? I am awaiting for parts to arrive and slowly but surely, trying to change most mechanical parts to a new one.

That way, I can continue doing 100mph runs

Comment

• http://www.stoddard.com/nla-559-301-00-gold-porsche-emblem.html

Guys for this part, do i have to order 1 or 2? Just a little confused.

Comment

• Also, guys what spark plugs would you recommend for my 356? How often does one change spark plugs?

Comment

• NGK BP6HS or NGK B6HS
          NGK BP7HS or NGK B7HS

personally I use the 7 in a non standard engine. I think the change interval is 6k miles?

Comment

• Murugesh,

Regarding the badges, you need 2 off NLA 559-301-00 Gold Porsche emblems as shown on the page you posted. Some very early 356A had chrome versions. They fit front and back presume you have the holes for their 5 studs. If your car was a super engined version you need the separate 1600super badge to fit under the rear Porsche badge.

You asked if I still have my 356A. Yes its been mine for 46 years now.

See the front rear badges below on mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_0623porscheWYL80008.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	55367

Name:	2008_0623porscheWYL80025.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	55368

Roy

Comment

• Roy she is absolutely stunning <3 I only wish you were closer so I could get more advise from you.

What color is your beauty? I like the number plate a well.

On the badges, my car does not seem to have the studs...I guessed they must have been covered up when it was repainted before. Will need to figure them out. The car actually looks great without the badges, but then a part of me would like the badges on the car. Decisions...decisions.

Comment

• Murugesh,

My car is Meissen Blue in colour the interior original paint. Regarding the stud holes not on your car. I suggest you get a good torch and see of you can locate those holes by looking at the back side of the panels. You might well see filler protruding or if you remove a little of the underseal in the approx position there might be evidence of the holes. But of course they might have been welded closed if tbe previous owner disliked them.

I like the badges, but get it all wrong drilling and fixing them and it will drive you mad. If the holes are there its so much easier.

Roy

Comment

• Roy are you by any chance on whatsapp?

So i went to the upholsters to get an appointment to fix my carpets.Earliest i got was a months time. I thought of doing the headliner, as i have extra left over from my dads beetle restoration. He was hesitant of doing it, in case he breaks the windscreen. Why touch something which isn't broken but then again...I want it to be perfect. So once again I am left thinking.

Justin, any chance of hosting the site on tapatalk?

Comment

• Hey Murugesh,
                    To do that the whole site has to be moved to the next version software. Its in the works but am finding out if any content will be lost in the process. Working on it though. Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Murugesh,

No I don't belong to that site. Also although I did join facebook I never use it apart from finding Modern jive venues.
                      If I were you I would keep the headlining. Maybe a cleaner on it would improve? Of course it can be done, but the job frightened me too much and mine is still factory with some brown nicotine stains from a previous owner smoking in it.

Roy

Comment

• Just got the car back after fixing the bearings and steering dampers and king pin and i must say the car rides much better. So i am very pleased, am currently waiting for more parts to arrive...so the car has most mechanical parts changed. I am eagerly awaiting my throttle linkages to arrive, as the car doesnt seem to spring back to normal idle, after being used. Need to step on the accelerator a little before it goes down to 600rpm,if not, it hovers around 1200rpm.

My next to do list,would to be to paint the 'rusty' looking shifter and pedals(the metal thing which holds the pedals more like it)

Then next to install an alternator. Anyone with leads on where i can get an alternator stand?

Planning to change the distributor to an electronic one.http://www.123ignition.nl/ This should be done last i guess.

Today also,I got my first crack on my windscreen,which does make me awfully sad. Should i replace it, or just repair it.

Name:	IMG_9034.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	56281

On happier notes, did a photoshoot yesterday.

Name:	IMG_9017.JPG
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	56282

Went for a Porsche Club drive this AM.

Name:	IMG_9030.JPG
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	56283

Comment

• Just wondering what are these 2 holes for? These are on the passenger door.

Name:	IMG_9035_2.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	56285

Comment

• Murugesh,

The best idling speed on the 356 is 900 RPM. 600 is possible but a bit too low. If you have to play around with the accelerator to lower it sounds like the advance slider or the springs are playing up in the dizzy. Its that 1200 rpm figure that makes me say that, did you oil the central shafts felt pad ( where the rotor goes on ) Also maybe 2 drops of light oil down a hole in the plate that holds the contact braker on might work too.

The crack if I see it correctly can't be repaired you will need a new screen eventually. ( Maybe the photo does not show it well ? )

Roy

Comment

• Roy where is a good place to windows all round? I might repair it as a temporary measure and save up some money to get the whole set of windows changed.

Thanks Roy. What's your thoughts on electronic distributors?

Also am planning to change the accelerator rods...

http://www.stoddard.com/695-423-014-00-accelerator-pull-rod-front.html
                              http://www.stoddard.com/nla-23-016-accelerator-pushrod.html
                              http://www.stoddard.com/nla-23-019-accelerator-pull-rod-front.html

Are these the right parts. I am a little confused and do LHD and RHD cars differ?

Comment

• Murugesh,
                                Some idea's from me but they are only my idea's, Someone else might have a different point of view

1). If your distributor is original I would get it overhauled by Glen Ring ( think I have the right name) Then it will work as new and the contact point system should be perfect for the time you will have the car. Mine has been working for 56 years and I would never go electric
                                but that's my opinion. I would buy after the overhaul 3 new sets of contact breaker points, a new rotor and a new condenser. Glen could supply those with the rebuilt dizzy. Then you have enough spares to last you to your eighties if you do a normal classic car milage.

Note, I mentioned before I sort suspect worn springs or dirty slider in your dizzy that can present idle advasnce /retard problems you are getting. ( Again it can be other things but its my opinion. )

2).I would try a windscreen supplier in Malasia and ask. I believe the screens are now Pilkington but can have the Sigla mark on the front windscreen. Sigla were original windscreen suppliers but the side windows were made by others.

Stoddard can supply all the glass some of course repro. Apart from the glass you might well need the rubber trim and deco ALI trim molding. You also need a guy who can fit that type of windscreen from the 50's. The books you have bought should detail that. Again for the
                                356A you need a company to supply the right parts. Stoddard list every item clearly for 356A and crate and send by UPS.

You can see from above if I were you I would use Stoddard to be sure of getting the correct items. Its not cheap why change the other glassis it really bad???

3). Finally I still do not understand why you are changing all the rods to the carbs. I said before if the ball ended items are not really damaged, the adjustment screws work and stay tight I do not see the reason. Mine are all factory work great. The item you show detailed 695-423-014-00 is for a 356B or C not the A. The other items are 356A but if those swivel cups are okay AND WHEN pushed on the corresponding carb ball ends they swivel easily between your fingers when the accelerator is against the stop then sorry I don't see why you need them changed. ( When the carbs leavers are down on the stop and can move no more, then the rods with the ball ended reception should have a minimal clearance NOT TIGHT.

Sorry to go on Murugesh, I was sorry to hear your screen cracked that is something no 356A owner wants to happen. But a new one will be so clear to look through not like mine I can assure you.

Keep smiling

Roy

Comment

Working...
                                X