No announcement yet.

Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a flywheel(p267) not a camshaft gear also should work with the 692/0. I am not big on spelling but why did you use colour instead of color.

Comment

In your 1959 listing (p630) you have 3 x spyders listed - Manting/Holder/Payne. Payne did not race in 1959, only in 1957. You don't have any listing for 1957 @ Put in Bay.

Dietrich and Payne could not have been racing the same car at the same time as they are different cars. Did the prev owner of 0077 actually buy it off Payne or was told Payne owned it?
      Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

Jacques,

Thanks.

As to colour vs. color---the translations were done in Germany by a guy who learned British english. So, that's the english we have from Rolf Sprenger's work...and then my english was turned into British english.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Andrew,

We'll get back to you. I still think we have it correct. Please advise re 550-04 comment.

What is "Put" race you think is missing?

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Regarding 550-0077 race results for Put-In-Bay:

For 1957 Put-In-Bay, we found race results for Haas and Payne after the book went to the publisher. Haas was driving 550-04 and Payne was driving 550-0077 (red car). We have included these two results in the Errata.

For 1959 Put-In-Bay, we recently found a photo and Payne was driving a 356 Speedster (red with yellow stripes). We will note in the Errata.

Later, according to the former owner, Payne sold 550-0077 to him on behalf of the current owner at that time who had bought it from Suzy Dietrich.

Comment

Hi Vietta/Steve,

I agree that Suzy's spyder was 550-0077, but how can you explain 2 different cars racing within 3 weeks both as 550-0077?

Originally posted by Type550" post=24106
              Thanks for the info Vietta.

In regards to the race listing on P630 should that be 8 June 1957 (you don't have a listing for that date) with Carl Haas in 550-04?

If 550-0077 is red, on the 19th May 1957 (3 weeks earlier) Suzy Dietrich is driving a silver spyder which you have also listed as 550-0077

Click image for larger version

Name:	TomPayne2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	54271

Comment

Suzy originally drove Bernie Vihl's 550 which I believe is also 550-0077 (you have a listing for him on P611) - she could have bought it off him

This is a blog I did a while ago:

http://type550.com/8643/under-the-hammer/

Comment

Steve, One error I noted is the results for the 1961 Targa Florio. Car number 136 was chassis number 718-044 not 718-041. I have attached copies of the factory set-up sheets for that race with the correct chassis numbers. Also car 136 had the nose speed lights which were only added to 718-042, 718-043 and 718-044 for the 1960 Le Mans race. 718-041 never had the nose lights. Photos of car 136 at the Targa and car 20 (which was 718-041) at the later 1961 Nurburgring show this clearly.

Name:	DSCN7619.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	54390

Name:	DSCN7620.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	54391

Name:	DSCN7621.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	54392

Name:	DSCN7623.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	54393

Name:	DSCN7624.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	54394

An impressive amount of work in the book!

Alan

Comment

Alan,

We believe that you are correct. The material you note is definitive. We did not have these race sheets (I have many but not these)---thanks!! We did note 041 in red, but will now note 044 on the errata list!

Thanks, as well, for the kind comments re the book.

By the way---years ago you asked re identifying GT 4-cam motors. These are noted in the book.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Hi what is the significance(different parts or just tuning) of the GT designation for 547/1 engines?
                      TIA
                      j

Comment

re 24132 and other 0020 vs. 0077 issues:

I'll ask Vietta to weigh in here but I think the summary is that we think we are ok as in book (I may have missed one problem). We have three other Bowman races besides Andrew's list and the book notes detail re which Bowman (there was more than one). As to red, I think the answer may be as simple as it was repainted.

Let's re-group on the 0020 vs. 0077 items if needed.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by jacques" post=24208
                          Hi what is the significance(different parts or just tuning) of the GT designation for 547/1 engines?
                          TIA
                          j
                          Jacques,

The 547/1 GT motor was specific to the Carrera "Gran Tourismo" Coupe and Speedster models only. And it featured, in most part, the same mechanical attributes of the 550 Spyder 547 motor - except for the case oil line routing for fitment into the 356 motor compartment.

At times there were different compression ratios used as well as choices of Weber 40 DCM carburetors instead of the stock Solex PII-4.

This Carrera GT motor was first introduced in March 1957. There were small differences between it and the Carrera GS 547/1 motor, including the sport exhaust that ended up providing about 10 more horsepower.

You'll note in the Book that the very first production 547/1 GT motor was in a 356A Carrera GT coupe - motor no. 90802 - and fit to GT chassis no. 58 938.

Michael Doyle

Comment

Jacques:
                            From what Wolfgang Rietzl told me in the day, the short wrist pin piston was developed for the GT, but, was soon made standard. All other mechanical parts were standard, valve timing was standard. One (or 2, I don't remember!) extra shim was used under the valve springs, and the compression ratio was set higher. The sport I exhaust, without heat exchangers, was used. That's it! Collectors go gaga over seeing that "GT" stamp on the case though, don't they?
                            Gerry McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by gerrymc547" post=24220
                              Jacques:
                              From what Wolfgang Rietzl told me in the day, the short wrist pin piston was developed for the GT, but, was soon made standard. All other mechanical parts were standard, valve timing was standard. One (or 2, I don't remember!) extra shim was used under the valve springs, and the compression ratio was set higher. The sport I exhaust, without heat exchangers, was used. That's it! Collectors go gaga over seeing that "GT" stamp on the case though, don't they?
                              Gerry,

In addition to what you name above, a few other different motor parts come to mind as well:

1. GT Carburetor Jets and Venturi sizes.
                              2. GT Pistons.
                              3. GT Flywheel - lightened.
                              4. Optional Spyder Camshafts.
                              5. Any more?

Then there were the many modifications to lightened GT chassis.

Michael Doyle

Comment

Michael - the Carrera book lists my Speedster (#83780) as "lighten chassis". After seeing the book info, Jim Newton noticed from a picture I have of the cars first race, that there were no side spears nor trim under the doors BUT there were no holes either. Jim suspects the car came that way from the factory as a lighten chassis element as the first owner probably didn't have time to do body work before the first race.

Also, as Gerry stated about going gaga, I was such an owner when I found the original engine block, called a GT, and later confirmed by Gerry. The motor is in the car now.

Jerry

Jerry
                                1957 GT/GT Carrera Speedster #83780 (GT bodied per Carrera Book) w/original motor #90896
                                1963 547/5 Spyder Factory Replacement Motor #90404
                                1973 E Targa
                                1973 S Coupe
                                2017 991.2 Targa GTS 4

Comment

Working...
                                X