Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Steve,

On P536, 550-08 raced in 2 locations on the same day - is that correct?
    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

Ho,ho,ho!!

Good catch! I'll spare you all the lengthy story as to what we relied upon.

Storez was driving his 356 not 550-08.

We'll add to the errata list.

Thanks for noting!

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Hi Steve,

on p548 you have Gonzague listed in the 12 h Hyeres and the GP Tangier on the same day - is this correct?
        Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

re 24002:

Andrew, many thanks. This seems in error. We'll check and see what the facts are.

Steve Heinrichs
          www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

Hi Steve
            Enormous Awesome words can not do justice to the amount of research and effort. Ok here is my partial list of errors, omisions/comments for your consideration based on my experience.
            P115 looks like a 587 engine not a 692/3A
            p119 587/1+2 had 41mm exhaust the 587/3 had the 43
            p140 does not show the center 2 thru bolts
            p141 most 587/3 i have seen had 5 studs and 1 bolt for mount and v drive
            not really an error since any engine built to those specs would have the designation.
            p151 comment: the 2 center rods are installed with the wrong offset
            p154 most 692/3A rods i have seen were serrated also maybe the 692/3 were the first
            p172 after a while the intakes were sodium filled also
            p193 Werks 547 engines had flywheels on the intakes like the 692/3A
            p200 this is a 547 piston not 587
            p210 i think they used copper for the cast in tubes maybe they were steel and plated copper i will investigate.
            p276 the 587** exhaust cam is the same as the Spyder Cam or the 587/* intake and has only 1 dot. i really had to work on this one.
            cheers
            jacques

Comment

Jacques,

Thanks much for the input. I really do appreciate it.

We'll work on this and advise the Forum.

Hey---I saw your Registry post. The answer to the transmission question you raised is that, in the end, Porsche decided not to include for the 356s. (The info is there for the purpose built race cars). 356 info was in drafts for over three years but then we deleted.

More important, in my view, is the motor info. Porsche agreed for the first time ever as to that---likely because we have figured out the "int.nrs." (on other half of case on outside)...so the recreation/faking/whatever of 4-cam motors is now over. Those "matching" numbers are not published.

Steve Heinrichs
              www.biglakemedia.com (buy them from me)

Comment

Hi Steve
                are you offering the information (transmission numbers ratios wheel sizes brakes type and size of tanks etc) in a digital format)for purchase? I understand the importance that you give to not releasing the motor internal nos but i am all for returning the engines/vehicles to full functionality even if the case has to be replaced/recreated/identity changed.
                j

Comment

Jacques,

What I have are the 356 car transmission numbers for the ones shown in the book. There is no comprehensive Porsche record of ratios or wheel sizes and brake type per car. I am not offering anything in any comprehensive digital format, although as to the information in the book, we have it including race info in various versions---by pilot,start number, chassis number, license number (all to the extent we have the core data). Still, there are a few mistakes as you have seen.

As to race data, we also have about 17,000 356 race entries documented but less so as to specific chassis number.

Regarding the motors---I am all for functionality but when a motor is sold as "original", it is my view that the two case halfs should be exactly that or disclosed to the buyer that they are not. And, when blank cases have a P number added, that should also be disclosed. We also can determine if the case were originally a blank.

As to this motor stuff---I will offer an authentication service for a fee.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

re 24002

Seems that GP Tangier was likely Joachim Correira de Oliveira in 550-0038. We'll add to errata list.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Jacques,

I noticed your post on the Registry Forum regarding "1500 COAs". I appreciate it but wanted to note the differences (some of them anyway) between COAs and book information as to these cars---

1) COAs are taken from kardexes. Kardexes were warranty records as to each car. They exist for most 356s and some, but not all, of the purpose built cars. By "exist", I mean as of now and at Porsche. A significant number of them are blank. Maybe Hans was sick on a given day.

2) Hans or whomever when preparing the kardex, did not see the car. He relied on other documents (the "Wagenkarte" mostly----these are all gone).

3) Kardex dates are warranty related; they are not production dates. Hence, COA dates are the same.

4) The book shows both the day Reutter finished a particular car and the date it finished Porsche production. We did not as a matter of the comprehensive effort, look at kardexes except to see sometimes if information was consistent or in the case of some cars as to certain options.

5) Our work relied on Reutter books and Production records as noted in the book. This is essential in part because some early motor info was not recorded on the kardex and accounting for all the motors required more work.

6) Also, since now radios are a Registry Forum topic, the radio number we show comes not from the kardex. Radios were installed by Porsche during final production. You can see how many 4-cam cars had radios. The proportion of radios to total cars in the non-4-cam ones, is larger.

I hope this helps.

Steve Heinrichs
                      www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

Hi Steve
                        noted

Comment

Question
                          you refer to the cam drive shafts as "vertical" when in fact the long shafts are installed horizontally. Is this an artifact of the translation? Orthogonal?
                          j

Comment

Hi Jacques,

Wow!! A post from you at about 8:30pm on Saturday evening. Now, I know the book is a scientilating page turner...but I gotta get you Netflix or a eHarmony membership!!

Just kidding----I do really appreciate the careful look. Just wait until you get into the number stuff!!

We'll sort this one out: what page are your referring to as to vertical vs. horizontal vs. orthogonal??

Also, I forgot re radios and since the fellow who has posted on the R Forum about how many----the book says 175 of the 356 Carreras had radios. No where else will you see the actual radio numbers!!

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Hi Steve
                              in German they call this engine Konigswelle they call the vertical shafts kurt konigswelle the translation I guess is King shaft????? the English version seems to use vertical shaft as the translation.
                              j

Comment

Jacques, yep, I know. Still, to review the translation, etc.----what page?

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X