Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Steve
    not my area of expertise but p755 TDF 904-006 had 159 start no and 904-101 used it when 006 retired.
    j

Comment

• Photos don't lie Steve. As you see in the photos posted, the spyder body has distinct circular holes behind the driver and passenger doors. These holes have been custom cut on this car only - not sure what purpose they serve. Both Vihl (as #84) and Dietrich are driving the same car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6b1bdca1827bc3c6905a218d54b61c16.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	54580

Name:	10658557_10204054996271789_1647734565960943963_o.png
Views:	28
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	54581

Name:	57WGGPQueenCatherinefalsegridV2web.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	54582

If the Dietrich's owned the spyder, they would have entered it as they did when they owned the Elva

Name:	ScreenShot2015-01-07at8.56.43am.png
Views:	35
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	54583
      Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Steve:
        Bernie Vihl likely owned any car he drove. Herb Dramm told me that Bernie "bankrolled" most of the cars Bob Holbert drove. The certificate of origin for 718-063 shows shows him as the original owner. When I asked Dramm why,(we bought the car from Holbert) he told me that "Bernie buys Holbert all of his cars". I, personally, never saw him drive IN A RACE. He would practice the day before, then leave it parked for the race, or, let someone else drive. He could often be found at Lime Rock for the open practice sessions on Tuesdays. That's when I saw him with an "anteater" that he told me he built.
        Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Re:
          Vihl/Dietrich, I can envision Herb Dramm loaning a car to Dietrich, through Vihl, or, asking Vihl to loan HIS car to her. He would avoid his name being envolved.
          Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Andrew,

Respectfully, you have made the 550-0077 stuff more difficult than needed recently. I really need you to explain where you are going when you raise issues and, as well, suggest what to do to fix any problems.

You asked simply why I did not add Vihl. I had no idea what you were talking about and asked why. You responded by saying he owned the car. Now, we had been discussing 0077 races. You had asked why the car was red then put up a photo of a white car you said was Brussels. It was not.

So, it now seems that as to Vihl, you are talking about July 1958 Thompson where we show Vihl driving a 550 which we did not identify. Having figured that out and looking at the photos you now post----we agree and thank you for helping fill in a missing 550 chassis number.

This is too difficult a process. I'm sure you will find other problems. Please help me if possible by telling you what you think at the front end of a discussion and what needs fixing.

As to Vihl's ownership---it really does not matter in the scheme of things but suffice to say I think he financed many at the least. Our take remains that at the time we are talking about here...that he did not own 550-0077. Still, he could have driven most any car he wanted so whether he drove 0077 at Thompson because he owned it or because he asked Suzy----we agree---he drove it.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi Steve,

Sorry for the evolution of these posts. In the future I will try and put all the facts in one post to try and make it clear. In retrospect, I did indicate a week ago that Vihl drove the car.

Originally posted by Type550" post=24133
              Suzy originally drove Bernie Vihl's 550 which I believe is also 550-0077 (you have a listing for him on P611) - she could have bought it off him

This is a blog I did a while ago:

http://type550.com/8643/under-the-hammer/
              Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Andrew,

Thanks---we're clear and hopefully now beyond 550-0077.

Jacques,

We show 904-105 in red font for that race. Red, in our nomenclature, means we are not confident (black means we are and in either case we can certainly be wrong).
                We show in red as we are not certain that Wutherich/Klass raced the car at the 1964 Tour de France.

However, we do know that the owner of 904-101(Blendl) was racing his car at 18-20 1964 Bad Neuenahr. The last three days of the races were the same for both venues. So, 904-101 was not at the TdF. We have found no evidence that start nr. 159 was associated with 904-006 or 904-101.

Jacques, also I have many of the answers to your earlier motor comments. I'll post tomorrow.

Steve Heinrichs
                www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

• Hi Steve
                  the 159 route book was on ebay with 904-006 as the car 904-101 was a werks car and most attribute as finishing with the 159 no.
                  j

Comment

• Jacques,

What do you mean by "route book"?

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Jacques, Gerry and Alan,

Some motor answers. I may have missed some questions so please advise if so.

p115 We believe that even with Webers that this is a 692/3A.

p119 I do not have an answer as yet.

p140 You are correct. Unfortunately, the drawing from p139 was used again. p140 does not show 587/1 and 587/2. We will fix in second edition. We will also note on errata sheet.

p141. We are correct as you note.

p151 The offset may not be correct but we just wanted to show the plain bearing crakshaft and the four rods.

p154 Officially serrated rods started with 587. It is entirely possible that for replacements, for example, had such rods for 692/3A.

p172 We have heard of that but not an official Porsche part.

p193 We agree but book does not say wasn't.

p200 You are correct. We will note, as well, on errata sheet.

p210 Both material was used. Earlier had copper, later (587) steel. We will note on errata sheet.

p276 Yes, the second 587/3** should be 587/3*. We will add to the errata sheet.

All---thanks much for the detailed look!!

Steve Heinrichs
                      www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

• Jacques,

Re 904 question---we've considered this again and while we agree that the conventional wisdom is 904-101,
                        we think that is wrong and that 904-105 is more likely correct. Maybe we'll find something else.

Steve Heinrichs
                        www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

• Hi Steve
                          Carnet de Board 159
                          Porsche system engineering
                          S TJ 16
                          904-006
                          P99152
                          KLASS WUTHERICH

Comment

• p115
                            a 692/3A fitted to an Abarth would have the drivers side external cam flywheel visible. The passenger side extenal flywheel is by the firewall and the tach drive is on the back of the head. Normal coupes would have both flywheels on the pulley side of the motor mid engine would have the flywheels on the other end of the motor. the engine pictured has heads that have internal flywheels like the 587/1,2,3 engines so i suspect it is a 2ltr.

Comment

• Hi Steve
                              the TdF 159 finisher was registration no S UE 670 I don't think Blendel owned it then it was still a werks car and it replaced 904-006.
                              j

Comment

• Jacques,

Very strange, huh? We are looking into this---adds even more confusion. Wedo show in the book that 90152 was in 904-006 after originally in 718/2-04.

Steve Heinrichs
                                RStephen356@aol.com
                                www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

Working...
                                X