Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All:
    There's a lot of detail regarding carbs that's missing/incorrect. I have written 3 posts that didn't make it, due to my own lack of skill. As a result, Alan, Jacques etc. have covered it.
    Except for the prototypes, the 547 and 547/1 engines used "PII" and "PII-4" carbs. These are sand-cast, most made in Italy. The 692/3A and SOME 587/3 used die-cast 44PII-4. The 587/1 used 40PII-4, die-cast. The die cast 4 cam carbs are basicly the same as the S90/SC carbs.
    The prototype engines, 547-01 to -07 or -08, used the 2 earlier versions, with cover screws up from under the cover. So far as I know, all 587/2 engines had Weber 46mm carbs.
    Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Alan,

Re the 904s---see page 831. Note also the specific later motors where the factory changed the carbs.

Gerry,

See my earlier note---none of your comments have been "lost". This is all complicated stuff, and, rest assured, the Porsche company itself would not have been able to bring together what Rolf Sprenger did in the motor section, nor the motor list in the back. How much detail is added is always a question.

Steve Heinrichs
      www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

• Steve:
        By "lost" I mean not posted. I press submit, and wait. The red lines for spelling error, usually stuff spell-check just doesn't know, remain. I press submit again, and get a " duplicate submission" notice, so, I move on, later find my message never posted. Some day, I'll figure it out!
        Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Steve:
          By "lost" I mean not posted. I press submit, and wait. The red lines for spelling error, usually stuff spell-check just doesn't know, remain. I press submit again, and get a " duplicate submission" notice, so, I move on, later find my message never posted. Some day, I'll figure it out!
          Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=24246
            We'll look into it of course but this may not be the 1956 show pic. Check production dates---no white cars in this time frame and records indicate 0077 was show car.

Steve Heinrichs
            www.biglakemedia.com
            Hi Steve,

I have searched through my other show photos and it looks like the 1956 New York Show, which I have another B&W photo of

Andrew
            Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Hi Steve,

There are 9 races listed with Bowman in 550-0020.

In regards to Suzy owning 550-0077, on June 1, 1957 you have listed Payne driving 0077 at a meet that Suzy also raced. If she owned the car (as you have her listed driving it in May 1956), would you think she would drive 0077 in her race instead of 550-0017 you have her listed as racing?

Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=24209
              re 24132 and other 0020 vs. 0077 issues:

I'll ask Vietta to weigh in here but I think the summary is that we think we are ok as in book (I may have missed one problem). We have three other Bowman races besides Andrew's list and the book notes detail re which Bowman (there was more than one). As to red, I think the answer may be as simple as it was repainted.

Let's re-group on the 0020 vs. 0077 items if needed.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	HAV3977.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	54531

Comment

• Comment

• Will you also add Bernard Vihl as driving 550-0077 on 20 July 1958?

Comment

• Gerry, on this forum you may have to wait 30+ seconds for a reply to post. Thats my experience anyway...
                      Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Andrew,

Why would we do that?

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Because he drove the same car as Suzy. As he entered the car into most of the races Suzy drove the car in, I would assume that he actually owned it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	42ss.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	54539

Name:	ScreenShot2015-01-05at11.39.02pm.png
Views:	40
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	54540

Name:	ScreenShot2015-01-06at12.59.04pm.png
Views:	53
Size:	526.4 KB
ID:	54541

Name:	ScreenShot2015-01-06at12.56.07pm.png
Views:	62
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	54542

Comment

• I have a question. Page 814, Section "547 Prototype", it lists 547-11 as "Tested briefly in 12231/80001."

1. Was 12231 Porsche Glockler #6? I had read previously on another website that the chassis number for Glockler #6 was 12213. (Maybe the other website just made a typo or maybe the book - just curious).

2. Was 80001 a different car than Porsche Glockler #6 or the same? I think I remember reading somewhere that repair/replacement chassis' received a new ID # starting with 8xxxx.

Thanks for any light you can shed here, my passion rests with the Porsche Glockler cars and learning any new and/or correct information for me is a real pleasure.

Here's a pic of the 4 cam that is in the car currently. The car was for sale at Techno Classica Essen 2014, I don' t know if it still is.

Thanks again Steve and the entire team!

Name:	gloecklerporschecoupe7_1399301054_1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	54544

Name:	gloecklerporschecoupe_1399301033_1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	54545
                            trevorcgates@gmail.com
                            Engine # P66909... are you out there
                            Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Small world and funny coincidence. I grew up in Pittsburgh, Pa., very near Allison Park. Dr. Robert Atkin listed above must be the orthopedic surgeon who repaired some partially torn articular cartilage in my left knee with a very innovative procedure in 1976.

Comment

• re Vihl:

We have no indication that he drove this particular car. He had access to many. While he is shown as entrant, he was likely not the owner.

re Glockler and 80001:

The spare, Trevor, you cite was used for 80001--the first Speedster and, yes, it was tested with the early 4-cam. As to Glockler #6, I do not recall specifically at the moment and just put my book in the car as we are ready to leave for home. Look at the spares listing---we do show one for Glockler but I think not #6. Anyway,the motor in #6 now was not originally there as I recall.

Steve Heinrichs
                                www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

Working...
                                X