• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Vietta,

I realised Miles was correct - my query was McAfee in the 550A

Originally posted by Type550" post=24779
    Hi Steve/Vietta,

On P586 @ Paramount, you have McAfee driving 550A-0116. From the photo, it looks like a 550RS
    Attached Files
    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Hi Steve/Vietta,

You have Lee Hall listed as driving 550-0019. He owned and drove a 550A.

Comment

• Andrew,

We will check on Hall and his car. We do show this one in red. We're ready to explain the Sagan issues and the remaining open questions but likely will not post re these until Tuesday or Wednesday.

And, Jacques, same as to your motor notes and one race issue.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Steve:
          In trying to firm up the history of 718-063, I've come across a question.
          We show Bob Holbert in -031, at Meadowdale,on 6 August 1960, finishing 2nd.
          We have him in -063 the same day, at Montgomery, dropping out with a broken crankshaft.
          In addition on 24 September, at Watkins Glen he drops out again, with a broken crankshaft.
          Spyder cranks don't "break", an over rev breaks the roller cage, and the rod saws the case in half!
          When we got the car, the original engine was gone, so it's likely that it suffered a crank failure. BUT 2 cranks in successive races, with aa driver of Holbert's talent, seems unlikely. I would be grateful for any light that can be shed upon this. Not likely he raced at Meadowdale and Montgomery on the same day.
          Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Gerry,

Excellent questions. Holbert's race history is very tough to sort. Yep, probably not to easy to appear in two places at the same time but there is a Capuchin saint who was thought to have been capable of that.

We'll send the 063 race history and the Holbert history in a day or so---we have sorts beyond what is in the book. I am grateful for any help.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to the Paul Sagan 550A questions.

Andrew is correct, Sagan raced a 550A at two events (1957 Thompson and at 1957 Watkins Glen). At the September 1957 Watkins Glen event both Sagan and McCluggage raced this 550A with start nr. 241.

To be as careful as possible, we will replace Sagan's Chassis Types 550 races to Chassis Type 550A and delete the chassis number 550-0073 starting 17 August 1957 until September 1957 Bridgehampton.

In addition, a new source identifies Sagan's 550-0073 as going to Bob Staples. We will revise Bob Staples chassis number from 550-0059 to 550-0073, the ex-Sagan car. Staples' races with 550-0059 begin on page 608,21-22 June, 1958 Elkhart Lake Road America June Sprints and ends at 18-19 Marlboro. Following those races, Staples is listed driving the Durlite Mark III. At the moment, we believe the Durlite is 550-0059, but will advise you if and when we know for certain.

Comment

• Hi Vietta,

I agree with the changes as this photo shows the 550A new in the crate around September 1957.

Click image for larger version

Name:	how550wasdelivered.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	56089

Do you have any record of him in 550-0073 with race # 62? (possible hill climb?)

Name:	1956Lookslikeahillclimb.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	56090

thanks Andrew

Comment

• Based on timing of races and the photo of it in the crate, I would think his race at Montgomery would be in the new 550A

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to Andrew's question about Lee Hall and his 550 or 550A.

For Lee Hall, we have very little information besides what is available online. Our most reliable source, notes that Lee Hall raced a 550 in one race and 550A in a second race at Elkhart Lake with co-pilot Kaser. We have no indication that Hall raced any other 550 car(s). He is rarely listed as the entrant, but when an entrant is listed it is always Hall himself. We have no photos of Lee Hall with his 550/550A car(s). 550-0019 is listed in red font which means we are not certain.

Comment

• This is Hall's 550A at Road America 1960

Name:	WM_Road_America-1960-09-hall.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	56100

Comment

• Steve:
                        Bob Holbert was a really nice guy, but I'm not sure he would pass the requirements for cannonisation, unless we can ddocument his wereabouts on that day!
                        Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Comment

• Gerry,

Well...maybe not, I guess.

Anyway, this is a tough problem. Vietta will weigh in soon as to this and what we are thinking. To add to the confusion, maybe, is that the races were on consecutive days, not same day.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to Mr. McCarthy's question about Bob Holbert entering two races at the same time, 6 August 1960 Meadowdale and 6-7 August 1960 Montgomery.

We do show Bob Holbert at both races:

6 August 1960 Meadowdale, we list Holbert with chassis nr. 718-031. Then we believe that he appeared at 7 August 1960 Montgomery with 718-063 where he was DNF with a broken crankshaft. We think Meadowdale may have been the last Holbert race for 718-031, and Montgomery may have been the first Holbert race for 718-063. Website Racing Sports Cars does list Holbert at Montgomery with start nr. 1: http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1960/Montgomery-1960-08-07-001.jpg . But, we have very little information about the Meadowdale race.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X