No announcement yet.

Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No one debates the 597 production period.

What is mis-identified in the photo is the finished car.

It is 07 not 05 in my opinion.

Please comment on why Annie B's mother would specifically take 550-07 in for repair if Annie was driving 05.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• ...the million dollar question
      Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• It is believed 550-07 was purely a test car and driven by Linge. I have read on numerous sites that the car was destroyed during testing. As it was registered in Germany, it is possible that Porsche used the chassis number to get 550-05 in and out of Germany to avoid customs/border issues similar to 550-0043. As the car no longer existed the chassis plate would not create suspicion.

When 550-05 was given a new front end, possibly after the Agadir race accident, in the process the 547-02 engine was removed and replace with the 1500 push rod before it went back to Brazil, which agrees to the note that it had a different engine on its return. 547-02 could have been used in the 550-0043 build.

If you replace 550-05 with all the 550-07 races, they all match up before the return and first race in Brazil of 550-05. The 1955 12 h Hyeres was not 550-07 and I cannot find any race entry of 550-07 in the 1955 Monsanto GP - Baretto is listed as racing a Ferrari.

Comment

• Andrew,

With the deepest respect, while we will look into the items you raise----we are moving on as we believe we have it correct.

550-07 was not merely a test car driven by Linge. Please point us to where that is said and which sites note it was destroyed during testing.

Agadir was a DNF but we do not see where here was serious damage requring a new front end. Nor, is there any indication we have seen that the engine of 05 was replaced in Germany.

The first Brazil race was 1-54 with 05. 07 was then in Germany. And, we do not believe Wendler built a custom customer car in early 1955.

Our conclusions are based mostly upon:

1) The factual early races of 07 and its reconfiguration from it having been a Bucklewagen.

2) The fact that Porsche records specifically show Annie's mother bringing in 550-07 after Agadir.

3) The fact that 550-0043, in the book showing allthe 550s---lists 0043 as Umbau for Bousquet. Unlike the others, it shows only that---not motor, no trans, notires no test ---

4) The fact that the frame plate 07 ison top of the current 0043 frame plate.

5) The fact that from the Porsche records, Annie picked up 550-07 on the way to her fatal race.

6) The fact that 550-07 came back to Porsche, was rebuilt and sold to Blendl (I have the paperwork) who was quickly invloved in a fire with the car.

7) I've interviewed Blendl's son who confirms what happened and that, despite some argument re photos posted here, that only the steel stuff was really left. Most went on Blendl's "spare body" Speedster, which later was owned by Rolly Resos and I think is now is Germany.

So, Andrew, we move on from this one at least for now.

Best,

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• I think we have mutual respect by now Steve.

In regards to the points raised:

550-07 was not merely a test car driven by Linge. Please point us to where that is said and which sites note it was destroyed during testing. I will find the source for you

Agadir was a DNF but we do not see where here was serious damage requring a new front end. Nor, is there any indication we have seen that the engine of 05 was replaced in Germany. Annie broke her leg and her mother had to return the car for repairs - it if was a leg, I would think frontal damage

The first Brazil race was 1-54 with 05. 07 was then in Germany. And, we do not believe Wendler built a custom customer car in early 1955. It might not have been early 1955 - 550-05 was returned to Brazil in December 1955 - it was only a front - the rear of the car is still the same without the hinged back

Do you have a date when 550-05 got the 1500C push rod engine as noted in your book?

thanks Andrew

Comment

• Andrew,

A few notes---

1) Re Linge---he did indeed do various tests in 550-07 in February/March 1954 while 550-05 was certainly in Brazil. Linge--a great guy---amazingly kept day-to-day notes of his Porsche activities starting (I recall---do not have in front of me) 1953. Went into mid-60s. I have it. Just wonderful stuff. There is no 550-07 notation after March 1954 and Linge spent much of 1955 in U.S.

2) Re Agadir DNF: this is an important item. But first, the April/May 1954 races of Oliver, Veuillet, Oliver were absolutely 550-07 (starts 100, 146 and 100). 550-05 was in Brazil.

In September we believe Annie drove 550-07 at Tour de France and Montlhery.

As to Agadir specifically---yep she lost braking and hit the front somewhere and broke her leg or foot (I think).

Here is the key----Annie's mother takes it (specifically 550-07) in for repair: it does not get a new front like a 550A. It races nine or so days later with Veuillet (who now has his driver's license back) at Touraine. Annie races it in May and both Borges and Annie race it in July at Monsanto before Annie has the big Autodrome accident.

3) We'll see what we can find re the motors.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Andrew,

I forgot---

Can we agree on two things---

550-05 did race begining in late 1955 in Brazil, etc. (I say this regardless of whether it was always there or went there, went to Europe and came back).

550-05 had a 550A front while retaining its proto back etc.

As to 550-07 (or what you call 550-0043) later---it had a full 550A body that Annie had the fatal accident in.

If we agree...this is an important start.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi Steve,

Yes, I agree that 550-05 went to Brazil in '54
                  Yes, I agree that 550-05 had a 550A front when it raced in Brazil in June 1956
                  550-0043 had a Wendler built 550RS body, not a 550A body. It did not have the inspection doors in the side, lower rear grills or smaller tail lights.
                  (2 out of 3 is a good start...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Monthleryspeedrecord2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	62093

Comment

• Sorry...yes...550RS. My bad.
                    Steve

Comment

• The Monsanto race is very critical in the provenance of these cars. I see that you don't have any results of the race - do you have a start list / result list / photograph of 550-07 at the race? Why do you think it was there? I cannot find it in any listings to date...

Comment

• Andrew,

We will look. Meanwhile, can you address the questions I raised?

Steve

Comment

• Here is the start of the 1955 Monsanto GP. As you can see, there is no car #6, except what looks like a Porsche 356 in the crowd.

Name:	tumblr_mxbcnvkUlF1ri24hyo1_1280.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	62108

Comment

• 2) Re Agadir DNF: this is an important item. But first, the April/May 1954 races of Oliver, Veuillet, Oliver were absolutely 550-07 (starts 100, 146 and 100). 550-05 was in Brazil.

We ascertained and agreed that this was 550-07 at the Autobahn testing in March 54.

Name:	6813172500_9169742937_o_2015-06-06.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	62110

I know I keep going back to the configuration, but is is important as it is the difference between 550-05 and 550-07. The Buckel has been removed and it still is a hinged rear 550.

Less that 6 weeks later is Veuillet at the Sable-Solesmes Rallye - #146 driving a fixed back 550 with the bulge in the rear which must be 550-05

Name:	sable1_2014-09-18.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	62111

In September at the Tour de France - the same car - fixed rear

Name:	Beaulieubousquet-tourdefrancelow.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	62112

You do not have any race listings for 550-05 between 10 January 1954 and 17 June 1956, so it is unknown if 550-05 was still in Brazil at that time. It could have been shipped back to Europe before the Montlhery race on the 25th April 1954.

Here is the key----Annie's mother takes it (specifically 550-07) in for repair: it does not get a new front like a 550A. It races nine or so days later with Veuillet (who now has his driver's license back) at Touraine. Annie races it in May and both Borges and Annie race it in July at Monsanto before Annie has the big Autodrome accident.

I have provided enough evidence that 550-07 did not race at the 12 h Hyeres and Monsanto - after that time, it was 550-0043 which you have listed as 550-07, so in reality 550-05 could have been all the other earlier races. I have no reference for the Touraine Rallye but I doubt it was the Adagir car.

Comment

• Andrew, the problem with the Sable Rally car is that the race is (like Dieppe) May 1954. 550-05 was ABSOLUTELY in Brazil according to actual specific correspondence. The car must be 550-07 as we note.

As to Monsanto---I cannot see cars in back but---if you say that there was no '6'---by the way there were two races..City of Lisbon and Governor's Cup---IF there was no car----then nothing is proven.

Let's try to agree on a couple of more things:

1) I do not have to prove it stayed; you need to prove that 550-05 came back to Europe. There is zero documentation saying it came back.

2) There is NO photographic evidence in Europe of a car with an RS front and proto rear end.

3) There is no evidence in terms of any paperwork of race data per se that associates Annie with 550-05, nor Veuillet.

4) The ongoning argument re 07/0043 and what to call it, it not relevant to this. We agree that 07 got the 0043 chassis so it looked different after that config.
                              Annie's connection is to 07/0043 not 05.

5) Re 4)---there is no photographic evidence of 07/0043 with a new front and proto rear.

6) There is no paperwork regarding Heins in Europe with 550-05. He did not race it in Europe.

7) Annie raced 07/0043 at Hyeres in May 1955. 550-05 was in Brazil.

In August 1955, Annie wrecked 07/0043 at Montlhery. I believe you agree...and 550-05 was in Brazil.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• I should add another item to this debate:

I have the list fo 550s, etc. that came back to Porsche for repair. Long list. 550-05 is not on it.
                                The burden is on those to prove it came back to Europe. I have proven it was in Brazil until at least September 1954. There is no proof I have seen that it ever left.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X