Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Steve,

The letters between Kern and Stuck are incomplete - do you have the other letters?
    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Andrew,

I would say that the letter exchange establishes the key fact that 05 was in Brazil during the early races. Please post some documentation showing 05 having gone back and forth.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• I don't deny 550-05 was in Brazil for these early races with Stuck. As you would understand, these letters are new to me and I need to establish if 550-05 did stay in Brazil for the length of time or not. The letters discuss difficulties in importing the car - do you know where it was being imported to? Also do you know who Mr Tress is?

Comment

• It is not just the early races in Brazil. Rather, since the car was in Brazil for some months into 1955, it means it was not in Europe for the races I have noted.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• I have reviewed the letters and as they are incomplete, they are incomprehensible as they don't specify any car or ownership or any details to do with these cars in question. Based on the location below Stuck's details on the letters he was not in Brazil during the correspondence and had returned to Germany at this time.

Comment

• Andrew,

Respectfully, is the prior note from you? Does not sound that way. The letter exchanges are clear. Yes, Stuck we home in Austria; the car was in Brazil. That's the only 550 that was there.

Anyway, there is no shred of evidence that 550-05 went back---or, at least, none has been shown here.
              We think we have the races correctly sorted.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=28060
                I have reviewed the letters and as they are incomplete, they are incomprehensible as they don't specify any car or ownership or any details to do with these cars in question. Based on the location below Stuck's details on the letters he was not in Brazil during the correspondence and had returned to Germany at this time.

Comment

• At this point, I still cannot accept the context of the letters. 550-05 did return to Europe. As you can see from these photos, 550-05 was given a new exhaust system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot2015-06-23at5.39.46pm.png
Views:	30
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	62760

550-05 was also fitted with the different set of Rudge wheels which were originally used on 550-06 at the Brussels Auto show in Jan 1954 (above has the slot holes rolled in, below has slot holes rolled out, and different central hub)

Name:	ScreenShot2015-06-23at5.39.59pm.png
Views:	15
Size:	585.6 KB
ID:	62761

550-05 had the glove compartment - not 550-06 or 550-07

Name:	ScreenShot2015-06-23at5.39.22pm.png
Views:	24
Size:	474.9 KB
ID:	62762

Based on this video footage, the car is 550-05 at the 1954 Sable-Solesmes Rallye race, with the same updated exhaust. 550-05 was the only prototype built with this rear configuration.

http://youtu.be/mpzyqioub3g

Comment

• You will also notice the licence plate is the same when the car raced in Brazil as when taken outside the factory

Name:	GPSoPaolo.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	62764

Comment

• 550-05 also competed in the September 1954 Montlhery Coupe d'Automne with the same wheels and licence plate as the Sable-Solesmes Rallye race

Name:	550-052_2015-06-23.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	62766

and the Feb 1955 Agadir race with the same wheels again

Name:	bousquet-GPAgadir55.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	62767

Comment

• The license number 5254 was for Veuillet's dealership.

The 5223 number was Brazil for Stuck...then later.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• The photos with the new exhaust system were taken when 550-05 returned to Europe

Comment

• How do you know 05 went back. Exhaust system could have been done in 1-54 or earlier before it went over and 07 could have similarly configured.

Also, since some 550 was in Brazil through June 1954...what car was that? And, of course, Stuck was back in Austria.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• It appears to be documented that many motor conversion "update parts" were sent to Brazil. One would think that on this List at least a new exhaust was included...especially for racing purposes.

Michael Doyle

Comment

• If your theory is correct Michael and the exhaust was fitted in Brazil, therefore 550-05 would have been shipped back to the Factory to get the photo taken...

Comment

Working...
                                X