Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Steve,

With all due respect...

I believe I have made a significant contribution to this forum thread to help correct many errors published in the Carrera book. 95% of the errors I have found have been accepted and corrected and the other 5% I still think I am correct, but do not have enough evidence to support them. Even those listings printed in black which you originally claimed as 'definite' have been proven otherwise. There are still outstanding listing errors such as 550-0023 which have not been addressed. I also have a similar amount of corrections (to what I have posted previously) documented that I haven't even posted yet, and I am still less that half way though analysing each race listed in the book.

These corrections at the end of the day only benefit the authors of the book, so you can produce an accurate publication. Every day/night I would spend around 3-5 hours on some aspect of Porsche Spyders, which is a big commitment, but it is one of my greatest passions. I do take everything I post very seriously, but I feel that recently all I am doing is chasing shadows. I believe my findings are very plausible and there is a lot of research from discussions with other Porsche/racing historians from around the world to books and relevant websites to get my facts.

I am not sure if it is your limited knowledge when it comes to the physical characteristics of these 550s or what, but photos don't lie. If you look at the photo of the 1955 12 h D'Hyeres race, it is clearly not the 550-07 body. If this is the same car that Veuillet raced 2 weeks after the Agadir crash, and it is the Wendler built body on the 550-0043 frame, obviously the car was in production before the crash of the prototype. If this is the case, it will change all the timelines of when Annie first drove the car, and if it was her's or Veuillet's. Obviously it is a factory car as it has the same knock off wheels as the prototype which crashed at Adagir.

I also can't understand how you can keep referring to 550-0043 as 550-07 - there is no part of 550-07 on the car - nothing - it was a newly built Wendler body on a Wendler frame! Yes, there is photographic proof that the 550-07 plate was welded over the top of the 550-0043 plate on the frame, but you say the original frame was destroyed in the fire with Blendl, so how could this still exist if it doesn't and have the 2 plates - a very elaborate hoax?

You keep indicating you have documentation to support what is published in the book, but you have never shared it on this forum or with me personally. In all 75 pages of this thread, I think Vietta has posted three photos. I find everything is a 'guilty until proven innocent' scenario. I thrive on facts and new information and not afraid to change the direction I am going to ensure the truth is published, but I do not find this as a collaboration to achieve correct historic facts regarding these cars which is frustrating.

It is obvious you have a lot of knowledge and resources regarding these cars. If you are going to continue to refute my findings without offering some kind of facts to support them or solutions, I am happy to continue my research and publish my own findings elsewhere.

Andrew
    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Be careful Andrew you might get sued.

Comment

• Good one, Don!

Still, I think you are seeing simple frustration on both sides as we seemingly talk past each other.

Steve

Comment

• Andrew/Guys,

I have been thinking about the best course here and have a plan. At the moment, we really cannot spend more time on this 05/07/0043 issue as we must get to some changes as well as resume work on the roughly 18,000 race database for the 356s (non-4-cam). This is an exciting project for us.

Anyway, as to this passionate (for Jacques) debate, after the end of the summer, we'll post here on abcgt, a detailed timelime and more for 05, 06, 07/0043, and the Stuck correspondence, photos, list showing Annie's mother returning 07 for repair...and the entire story as we see it.

Time soon for all this to settle down and we'll do our best to lay it out for review.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Schaffer-repairs-550-07-Bousquet_Page_1COPYFORFORUM.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	62444

Thank you for your patience and commitment to accuracy in this complicated project.

Vietta

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to post documentation about the 1955 Monsanto race. We decided to post this completed research since our comprehensive post date is a few months away.

I have attached the entry list for the 23-24 July 1955 Monsanto race, date stamped at the factory "27 July 1955". By the date of the Monsanto race, Bousquet was driving the re-configured car 550-07/550-0043. We do not know if Bousquet or her car actually appeared at this race.

Entry List:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuito-LisboaCopyForum.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	62446Click image for larger version

Name:	CircuitoMonsanto1955.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	62447

I have also added a copy of a photo that shows more of the grid including Mascarenhas (#2) and clearly shows start #7 (Hezemans) whose headlights seem to have significant slant.

Name:	1955MonsantoGrid.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	62448

Again, we am very grateful for the help and support that you have provided with this project. With each comment we go back to our original sources and look for documentation that corroborates or refutes our understanding. Lacking that we seek additional information. When we agree, we document the changes in the database and in our Errata Sheets.

Best regards,

Vietta

Comment

• The colour photo is difficult as the cars have been hand painted, so the colour of the cars are inconclusive

Comment

• Andrew, please let us know how the two lists should be considered in your view.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi Steve,

With Monsanto, I really don't believe Bousquet attended and raced. I have searched everywhere and spoken to numerous people and there is no indication that the car was at the start line.

With the service listing I will need to look further into it. I appreciate you posting them.

thanks Andrew

Comment

• Andrew,

You may be correct that Annie was not there or her car not tested. If so, it matters almost none. Still, the pre race list is important in again tying into the fact it was not 550-05.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Andrew,

The Monsanto list is from Porsche Archive.

Also, please let us know if you have any Euro 550-05 photos with new front end and which car was at Dieppe.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• At this point I still believe that all races listed as 550-07 after the Agadir race is 550-0043. From my understanding 550-05 was repaired with the updated front after the accident and returned to Brazil before its first race in June 56. It did not race in Europe with the updated front.

Comment

• Here is the entry list from Touraine Rallye

Name:	ScreenShot2015-06-16at2.24.44pm.png
Views:	40
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	62456

Comment

• With a simple date analysis of this service sheet, based on the owners of the previous cars on the list, Jesser did not own 550-0016 until April 1955 when he started racing it at Solitude. If the car had done 11,200 km when it went for a service, it could be highly likely well into May 1955. 550-07 listed may well have been 550-0043 with the 550-07 plate on the chassis (and the new engine) being returned to the factory after the D'Hyeres race for it to be prepared for the world record attempt.

Do you know why D'Hyeres was a DNF?

Attached Files

Comment

• Also Friedrich Kretschmann did not own 550-0037 until May 1955...

Comment

Working...
                                X