No announcement yet.

Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well...the book lists the cars with original motors. As you note, the protos (a couple) had pushrods to begin with. Later 550s and 550As all had 4-cams first.

Of course, they could have later raced with pushrods. I think I recall that we note one or two in the race list.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Andrew,

Well, as you note, early protos had pushrods. The rest were originally delivered with 4-cams.

Now, some likely later were raced with pushrods---I seem to recall that we noted a couple in the race list in the book.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi Knuckles,

Welcome to abcgt!! I think you will have fun.

Yep---the book is a must and it is mostly sold out now.
        You can buy on Amazon or on my site: biglakemedia.com

Now---as to the "internal number":

I'll try to keep the story short. I have worked on this "issue" for well over 20 years. Each 4-cam motor had a unique 1, 2 or 3 digit number on the other case half. Many years ago, I asked Olaf Lang who replied that no one had been able to sort it out. We have and understand what the purpose was, etc. The numbers are not intuitive. They are the key to determining if the other case half is original and more.

We have correlated these and many people have provided numbers which we have validated.

This "internal number" is important in my view as the prices go so very high on this stuff.

Here's what I will be doing (actually have done 5-6 times so far)----a 4-cam motor owner provides me the number and for a fee, I will tell you if correct.

You can imagine how the reverse does not solve the authenticity problems.

Hey---------again----welcome! This is a great site.
        We are all glad you are here.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Steve -
          Thank you for your response.
          What is your 'fee' for confirming the internal number?

We believe the internal number for engine 90798 to be 409 . Is that correct ?
          Thank you
          Knuckle Head
          724-745-1405

Comment

• Hi,

Good questions and fair as well. Yep, I am charging for this. It has taken much effort, much consulting cost and more. Moreover, the factory does not have this information and haven't since the 60s. I did not "take" it from them; I figured it out.

The fee is $750. Trivial compared to my time and the value.

Now...of course...others are free to have different opinions as to the accuracy of the authentication. My view is just mine.

With all that said, my information indicates that that number is not correct for that motor. I'm sorry to say that but it is my view.

Please do not let this run you away. We have fun here, do not always agree but are respectful.

Best,

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

We continue to work on the Bousquet car in late 1954 and early 1955 races. I spoke with Steve Heinrichs today and he has asked me to provide our current detailed information on 550-05 and 550-07. We hope this information will trigger some new possibilities.

Description 550-05: We know that 550-05 rear end had one grille, a raised channel on the rear hood and tall rear fenders. 550-05 also had a glove box. These features are present in factory photos, 1953 Paris auto show photos and in photos of the car in Brazil.

Timeline for 550-05:Mystery:Description 550-07: We know that 550-07 rear end had two grilles as a Buckelwagen, a raised channel on the rear hood when it was reconfigured without the buckel and tall rear fenders. These features are present in factory photos with the Buckel and in a few of the disputed races.

Timeline for 550-07:Mystery:

Comment

• Hi Vietta,

Although there are still a lot of questions, I think you are getting closer. When 550-07 was reconfigured from the buckelwagen, did it have one or 2 grills on the rear?

As I have posted this photo before, I think it is very critical to identify the car - whether it is 550-05 or 550-07. This photo by Kurt Worner identifies the car as 550-05 next to 550-0018 (which was built in Jan 1955) in the Porsche Workshop, Germany, which creates doubt that 550-05 was still in Brazil. When 550-05 raced in Brazil, it did not have the knock off wheels, but they might have been swapped out for Vueillet / Bousquet to race.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_n6dsrrFj511rbjh8to1_1280_2015-06-03.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	61990

In regards to 550-0043, although it was a 'spare frame' the body of the prototype was not fitted to it, it was a complete new Wendler body (complete with teardrop badges). The engine/transmission/mechanics might have been original, but the rest was new.

Name:	1955Monthleryspeedrecord1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	61991

The question is:

Did the prototype that Annie crashed at the February 1955 Agadir GP race get repaired with the new front and sent back down to Brazil to race?
                Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• We think the photo is mis-identified.

There is no information at Porsche about 550-05 ever having returned to Europe.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• int #409
                    the engine with that no resides in a Speedster and the engine no. has been changed to agree with the chassis no. The true int no for that Speedster should be 398 one of Steve best buddies and Steve probably won't ruin his day by pointing it out and he would not care since he has the right engine no and he is not going to profit from the misrepresentation.
                    j

Comment

• As I am at work (and should be working!), I do not have your book for reference, but I believe you have 550-07 as #56 at the 1955 12 h Hyeres race. As you can see, it is a Wendler built customer car, which adds to my theory that 550-05 was repaired and returned to Brazil. Interesting that it also has the knock off wheels!

Name:	1907959_474087846050912_1536109545_n.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	61997

Comment

• Jacques,

Interesting as well as sad regarding the changes to the motors as you describe.

Yes, I do know who owns the Speedster.

Still, when did you learn who are my best buddies?? I'm fascinated.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi Steve
                          what i respect the most is the PASSION for something and if it a shared PASSION we are as the French say it sympathetic.
                          j

Comment

• The Porsche 597 Jagdwagen is being built in the background - these were built in 1955, so timing matches the photo - which part is mis-identified?

Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=27735
                            We think the photo is mis-identified.

There is no information at Porsche about 550-05 ever having returned to Europe.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi the 597s are prototypes since they have the flat sheet metal and not the corrugated panels like the production ones.
                              j

Comment

• 597? Which?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X