Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Steve,

You have Bob Donner listed as racing 550-0068.

A while ago posted an article on 550-0054 on my website and received this comment in response:

My Father Bob Donner who recently passed away purchased this car new from Von Newman. I have many photos, but not sure who purchased car from him. He sold in order to jump up to a RSK.

Original engine: P-90048
    Trans: 10044

David Donner
    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Andrew,

Well...interesting. Not sure if the David Donner note is complete but certainly the motor and trans numbers are for 550-0054. Yet, we do show 550-0068.

We'll review.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to Andrew's questions about two races:

1. We have added a new race: 28 October 1956, Thompson SCCA Regional and one result for Paul Sagan, Chassis Type 550, Chassis nr. 550-0073, start nr. 28, 1 OA and 1 Class.

2. We have added a second race from Andrew's earlier posts: 10 November 1957, Lime Rock LISCA and one result for Paul Sagan, Chassis Type 550A, Chassis nr. is unidentified, start nr. unidentified, 1 OA and 1 Class.

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to the second set of questions posed by Mr. Le Friant which refer to the motor section of the book. These are the questions found at post #24786

Comment

• I have emailed David again to see if I can get some more detail, but in the mean time this is the article I posted which gives more clues -

http://type550.com/8788/the-search-for-550-0054/

As this has a ripple effect, the listing of Mike Marshall in 550-0054 could change. I am under the impression that he could have owned both a RS550 and also a 550A as he sold the 550A after he was paralysed in an accident at New Smyrna Beach on 10.2.1957 to Roy Schecter, who then sold it to Glen Carrol

Sure you don't want to lock this thread now...?

Comment

• Andrew,

Why would we want to lock the thread?? You have been very helpful, and, many of the races are difficult to sort out. We're grateful and I think you have learned a couple ofthings as well. The effort to publicize the full set of races has never been even tried before.

Given the quantity of material, the number of changes has been relatively small. And---we've gotten some great additions also.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• You are right Steve - finally with the results in the book I am starting to see how all the drivers and the cars fit together. There also seems to be many twists with each one and they start spiralling out of control. Lucky I live on about 4 hours sleep each night, because it is often I lose track of time and it is 2 in the morn - it is very addictive!

Comment

• Andrew,

It is extremely addictive!!

And, each piece of data---start numbers---colors--everything helps fit the pieces together. There are twists and turns but so far only the Donner one has really led to some 'extra' issues. We think we likely just flipped the two cars but more later. It's fun and we do not feel out of control---each new item settles down others.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to Andrew's documentation of the Donner car as 550-0054. Again, we are very pleased when we can correct the record for these cars and pilots.

For all Bob Donner's races with chassis type 550, we will change the chassis nr. from 550-0068 to 550-0054.

For all Manfred and Lorrain Holder's races with chassis type 550, we will change the chassis nr. from 550-0068 to 550-0054.

For Lawrence O. "Laurie" Leva's race with chassis type 550, we will change the chassis nr. from 550-0068 to 550-0054.
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________

Then for all Mike Marshall's races with chassis type 550, we will change the chassis nr. from 550-0054 to 550-0068, but listed in red font as we are not certain.

For Mea Harbour's races with chassis type 550, we will change the chassis nr. from 550-0054 to 550-0068, but listed in red font.

For Charles Wallace's 11-12 January 1958, Miami race, we will change his two results from 550-0054 to 550-0068, but listed in red font.

For Roy Schechter's 3-4 May 1958, Virginia International Raceway, we will change his two results from 550-0054 to 550-0068, but listed in red font.
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________

Then on page 353, chassis nr. 550-0054, we will change the Exterior color from silver/red to silver/blue. In addition, we will revise the Remarks to say, "Hoffman. Von Neumann. Donner. Holder. Rebodied."

Again, on page 353, chassis nr. 550-0068, will change the Exterior color from silver/blue to silver/red. In addition, we will revise the Remarks to say, "Frankfurt Auto Show, then USA 7 October 1955. Hoffman. Nassau. Marshall."

Comment

• Thanks for the update - we only have one problem:

For Roy Schechter's 3-4 May 1958, Virginia International Raceway, we will change his two results from 550-0054 to 550-0068, but listed in red font.

He raced a 550A. I believe Marshall owned both a RS550 and a 550A. Roy bought the 550A off him after the accident, so some of the later races for Marshall would also have been in a 550A

Click image for larger version

Name:	RoyScheckter3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	56610

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to Andrew's question about Mike Marshall racing a 550A, that Roy Schechter later raced.

I don't have evidence of this second car for Marshall. Andrew, do you know of any specific sources that reference this second car and identify it as a 550A?

Comment

• Hi Vietta,

Here is another photo of Schechter in his 550A # 27

Name:	RoySchechter.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	56659

Here is Marshall in his 550RS (Road America 1956)

Name:	mikeMarshall-roadamerica656.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	56660

Comment

• Steve:
                            I have finally found time to review Bob Holbert's history. (I've been fighting to keep my recliner from running away)
                            I am surprised that the chassis number of his 550A cannot be varified. Whoever has this iconic car must know it's history. Please come forward!
                            ANYONE??
                            You list -007, -027, -028, -030, and -031 as center seat.
                            For what it's worth, Warren Eads lists -007, -026, -027, -028, -030, and -033 as center seat.
                            I have worked on -031 for years. It is not center seat.
                            -026 was destroyed in Argentina, costing Harry Blanchard his life. Was it center seat?
                            Holbert used -031 from 19 July 1959 to 6 August '60 at Meadowdale WI.
                            On the same day, he drives -063 at Marlboro MD., 1700 miles away, breaking the crankshaft.
                            I have documents showing -063 titled to Bernie Vihl 30 June '60' Robert Holbert 8 September '60. He may have borrowed the car one month before he bought it, I think it more likely, the car was not at Marlboro.
                            On 23 September the car breaks another crankshaft, (more likely it's first). This is likely, as the car is delivered to David Schiff on 20 January '61, without it's original engine. This also indicates it was not at Daytona on 4 February, as it was in my basement.
                            He first uses -065, built 18 October 1960 on 25 June '61. He uses werks(?) car -044 in april and May, and Penske's(?) -073 in March and April. He was at Vineland NJ 9 April with 2 RS61's which he told me were brand-new. Is it possible that -065 was actually the car used in, at least some of the March - May races?
                            On 30 September, he crashes -065 at Mosport. At the time, I was told that this was a high-speed, end-over-end crash, totaling the car. An imidiate call to Von Heinstein, causes the prompt shipment of long-wheelbase -048, less engine and gearbox. The last 4 races in 1961 were in -048, not the distroyed -065
                            Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Hi Gerry,

I've been away for a couple of days. Thanks so much for reviewing the material we sent you regarding Holbert. Your analysis here is very, very helpful. We'll go over it all, of course, including the center seat information.

Much appreciated!! Back as to this in a few days.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi Steve,

On P600 you have a listing of Charles Wallace in 550-0054 @ Miami on 11 Jan 58 with a remark 'Marshall car'. This is over a year since Marshall's accident - could he have bought Marshall's 550A earlier to race? It lines up with Roy Schechter racing the same 550A after Wallace.

Comment

Working...
                                X