Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerry/Alan,

Repages274 and 275---I think we are agreed to leave most alone for the current edition. Nonetheless, if there is a second edition, we'll work to incorporate the detail and addtional information you have.

So----later this week there will be a second version of the errata sheet. I'll have it posted here and look forward to further comments.

Oneother thing---"Mischrohr" is the correct word. "Emmulsion tube" is the proper translation.

Steve Heinrichs
    RStephen356@aol.com
    www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

• re page 119----the 43mm for 587/1 shown should be 41. It is correct on the page 273 table.

Steve Heinrichs
      www.biglakemedia.com
      RStephen356@aol.com

Comment

• Guys,

We've decided to handle the errata information separately from new/added info and will accordingly, create two lists.

For example, the prior post re page 119 is a correction and will go on the errata list. The identification of 550-0077 with Vihl adds new info and will go on that list.

So----next week before we have this.

Steve Heinrichs
        www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

• Hi Steve,

I will try and keep this simple.

Ed Hugus sold 550A-0132 to Ernie Erickson
          Erickson did not drive 550A-0118
          Erickson sold 550A-0132 to Robert Wilke
          Wilke's driver - Rodger Ward drove 550A-0132
          Ward did not drive 550-0083
          Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Update:

Andrew, thanks. Simple works for me. We'll look into this one. Hopefully it does not turn into a mystery.

Jacques, I have your note re serrated rods. I will check on that. Also, we are working on the Tour de France issues---not easy as the 904-101 conventional wisdom (with which we both disagree) does not work but neither does other stuff. And, the various so called expert sites vary.

All---next week for the updated errata page as we resolve these and another issue re the Elva-Porsches. We're confident that the conventional wisdom as to RA 500 1963 is wrong and that we have it correct. We have identified, we think, the homemade Erickson VII with an 4-cam motor but that changes a few races. And, there is one other possible race identification change.

Steve Heinrichs
            www.biglakemedia.com
            RStephen356@aol.com ( Buy books from me not
            that little known re-seller Amazon)

Comment

• Hi Steve,

on P592 you have Joe Playan listed as driving 550-13 at Santa Barbara. As you can see, he is driving a 550A

Click image for larger version

Name:	PlayanSB1957.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	54771

Also on P622 you have him listed driving 550-13 again at Pomona. I believe all Playan's races are in this 550A

Name:	Pomona59.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	54772

Comment

• Of course, we will review but there is lengthy material re Playan and 13.

Steve

Comment

• Can you please check photos?
                  Steve

Comment

• Hi Steve,

here is the source of the photos:

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/JoePlayan2.html

They seem to be correct with the other cars racing:

Santa Barbara:
                    Did not finish:
                    44 Frank Monise Lotus Eleven Oil leak GM

Pomona:
                    Not classified:
                    221 John McLaughlin Cooper - Climax Finished 3rd, not scored FII

Comment

• You are correct that Joe bought 550-13 off Bill Thomas, but he must have bought a 550A also - I will keep looking...

This is Playan in 550-13

Name:	550-13playan.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	54777

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/PorscheSpecial3.html

Comment

• "Joe Playan thinks the (Paramount Ranch) "Porsche Special" is his Porsche 550 Spyder. He wrecked his car at Willow Springs. He subsequently took the car to Fred Ige, a fellow who was supposed to be able to fix aluminum bodies. He had a business, I believe, that was called Samo wheel alignment. He had the car for 6 months and nothing was getting done.

Joe took the car to Ernie McAfee on Sunset. Tom Bamford was the service manager. They had a guy by the last name of Carrel who worked on Ferraris and Maseratis. Joe asked him if he could get the car back together and running. He made that front end for Joe. He told Joe that the James Dean car was there and that he had used a few pieces off it to make Joe's new front end. Joe sold the car to Stan Sugarman, from Arizona.

That is Joe at Paramount Ranch. This was the first time he had driven in more than a year. In the race Jay Hills crashed into the back of Joe. He was in a Porsche Speedster, Joe believes."

Comment

• Cool story!!

OK, we're set with him in 550-13. No changes.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Steve - if it was that easy I would write my own book

My take is that Joe drove and crashed 550-13 at Willow Springs. He finally got the car repaired and raced it at Paramount Ranch under #45 (as per photo above) in March and #29 at Palm Springs in April 1957.

The next race at Pomona in July 1957 he is in a 550A, not 550-13 (as per photo below).

Name:	JerryEntinJoePlayan1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	54803

As the article says - Joe sold the car to Stan Sugarman, which was 550-13.

Based on the original photos I posted, I would assume that during that time, Joe would have only raced the 550A.

You will need to apply your 5 Ws (who, what, where, when and why) to work out which 550A he was racing for the remainder of races - good luck!

Comment

• To give you a hand Steve:

Joe Playan wanted to upgrade his first Porsche 550 Spyder. He heard there was a newer version avaliable in the San Fransico area. A fellow named Al Norwitt had a new RS Spyder. Joe didn't have the funds to purchase this car. They were $5,800 in the late 50's. So, Joe went to his local Bank. It was called Security First Bank. Joe had a friend there named Gordon Heinmiller. He asked him could he get a loan for advertising for his Brake repair shop business. Gordon said sure and that is how Joe got his new Porsche.

Joe flew up to San Fransico and drove the Porsche back on the highway. This was a racecar with no muffler and no license plate or registration. He was stopped several times on the way back down to Southern California by the Highway Patrol. The first thing they would ask him was, "What is that thing?"
                              Joe would tell them it was a new type Porsche and they would just say it looks like a spaceship and have a good time heading home.

FYI - Norwitt Motors was the San Fran Porsche (or VW) dealer

Comment

• Are we playing a game or trying to get to the facts? It would be better if you would suggest an answer. I am comfortable with what we have. Sugarman had 550-0120, in my view and Playan continued to race 13 with the new front end.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X