No announcement yet.

Im back,,,,,,,,,My Outlaw Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been working on the doors, they are shaping up...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0060.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	21578

The hood MUST have been used by Rick as a sled...I stopped counting at 50!!! dents/low spots

Name:	0701130822.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	21579

Going to have to skim the whole thing
    Did I mention I am OVER sanding filler !!
    60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

• Brock,

After reading your hand blocking session just thought I would retrack to page one of your thread. That was 45 minutes ago and wow have you progressed. You have done so well, just with the body let alone the engine and transmission evaluation.

Its amazing how many new ideas come to light on threads like yours. The non welding of the door panel for example, but using the 3M product. I can see my formed completed repair panel on my drivers door and the so neatly cut out rusty section. I made the mistake as mentioned on your thread of going higher with the cut out than necessary and then gas welding it. The fitment of the repair panel was so close to perfect before the torch.( That ended by the time I finished it, although to look at it 35 years on its still good but only I know how much lead I put on it. To say the door closes with a 'thunk' is an understatement

I guess 35 years ago the 3M product wasn't available then otherwise well I reckon, I should have used it. That repair I guess even with a mig is really a professional's job. I will be very interested to hear how it stands up to the painting and final fitment.

Really interesting thread

Roy

Comment

• Thanks Roy! Yeah the car is coming along really well.
        MIG/TIG or what you better have your shizzle together when you start to weld a long seam like on the door.
        Yes its amazing just how well some of these new techniqes (SIC?) such as the metal bond work. The old methods did work such as your door and lead, lead may in some ways be better as it does not crack or shrink.
        Thanks again for stopping by and reading.

Here is the hood after one skim and some DA work and some light re-skim.

Name:	0701131602.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	21608
        60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

• Brock, do the panel bonds keep the moisture out of the two overlaps? I need to repair my door bottoms and had not considered the bond. I had always heard that it was considered a no no to overlap a repair. Old School thoughts? I know that using a MIG to weld a long line on a flat panel requires a lot of patience, and that is one thing I have never had too much of.
          Mark Erbesfield
          57 356A
          65 911
          68 912
          73 911S
          66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Nice work Brock! I commend you for being honest in your bodywork phase. Nothing to be ashamed of as long as its thin. They ALL need to be skim coated with something to be dead-nuts perfect and straight. Stay on it!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Mark, The best as I understand these epoxy base bonders are water proof so they should seal up nicely as the tend to sqeeze out some.
              Justin, the hood skim after sanding is pretty thin so it didnt add much weight to the hood. I dont think the paint will be perfect so to speak but it should be nice.
              60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

• In primer Still a lot of sanding to do but I wont have to keep chasing the flash rust thats been getting worse with the hunidity lately.

Name:	DSCF0104.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	21820

Name:	DSCF0105.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	21821

Name:	DSCF0107.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	21822

Taking a brake on the body work after I prime the doors and hood tomorrow so I can get going on the engine mounts.
                60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

• Big hurdle w that primer. Need to do the same for mine to stop flash rust. That stuff is evil.
                  Mark Erbesfield
                  57 356A
                  65 911
                  68 912
                  73 911S
                  79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Nice! Amazing how a uniform coat of color can change the outlook...
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Brock or others, could you provide some more info on the wide five disc brake conversions? I did some looking and see a few different versions it looks like. Some more expensive than others. Are there kits for the rear as well? Does this require a permanent modification or bolt on? Thanks, Mark
                      Mark Erbesfield
                      57 356A
                      65 911
                      68 912
                      73 911S
                      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Hey Mark,

There are actually several great kits on the market. I'll start a thread on this subject so we don't high-jack Brocks build post. Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• That would be great, thanks, Mark
                          Mark Erbesfield
                          57 356A
                          65 911
                          68 912
                          73 911S
                          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Doors and hood in primer on the 4th, cut the stock trans mounts off yeaterday. Didnt do much today.....to FN hot!

Name:	DSCF0112.JPG
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	22229

Name:	DSCF0113.JPG
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	22230

Name:	DSCF0111.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	22231
                            60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

• Looking great Brock! I know all about the heat! Last week averaged 115 around here with overnight temps staying in the mid 90's. At least its a "dry heat"
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• Nothing dry about the heat here, humidity has been pretty high here.

Got the battery box area welds ground. Osphoed and primed it, then seam sealed. Didnt do a very pretty job on the sealer but it will be covered anyway.

Name:	DSCF0114_2013-07-08.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	22292

Name:	DSCF0117_2013-07-08.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	22293

Also sealed the pan edges.