58367 The $75 Junkyard Carrera coupe restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick panel arch:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8049.JPG Views:	0 Size:	806.4 KB ID:	112185 Not only is the opening too small but the arched shape itself is squared off causing that bunching issue as it makes the turn in the previous mock up photo.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65000.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	112186 Opening it up and taking out strips at a time in stages.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65001.jpg Views:	5 Size:	667.5 KB ID:	112187 As the arch profile improved the shortfall in the middle closed up quite a bit.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65002.jpg Views:	5 Size:	729.6 KB ID:	112188 Clean transitional lip that hugs the access cover with no bunching .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65003.jpg Views:	5 Size:	605.8 KB ID:	112189 The needed opening shape to fit around the cover cleanly and without force.
    Last edited by JTR70; 11-16-2021, 06:44 PM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8056.JPG Views:	0 Size:	722.5 KB ID:	112191 By contrast, with the bottom skirt and stepped relief for the tunnel in their correct position ; no way was this ever going to fit and work with the access cover.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8058.JPG Views:	0 Size:	774.1 KB ID:	112192 Binding removed and dialing in my cut lines into the final piece. I cut it in stages to make sure it was right and that I didn't screw it up by cutting too deep.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65006.jpg Views:	3 Size:	744.1 KB ID:	112193 After several rounds fine shape trimming and test fits I had my final cutout shape.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65007.jpg Views:	3 Size:	708.4 KB ID:	112194 Again the leading edge was siliconed to ensure it doesn't come apart before its rebound. I had it resting up against this spare cover as it cured to help lock in that desired shape.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65008.jpg Views:	3 Size:	716.1 KB ID:	112195 First mock after the silicone set up., almost there.
      Last edited by JTR70; 11-16-2021, 06:59 PM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, that is some story for both the back lid fitment and the interior carpet ! I have often wondered how a bought in replacement item would fit regarding the front and back lids. Its obvious really they would probably never fit closely unless you have to do the sort of work you are trying to do in these stages. Much thought indeed on how best to do it. That is not an easy task at all. Likewise the carpet as I have mentioned my T2 carpet is still factory fitted and because the car was only 10 years when I bought it I have been so careful to keep it looking good for over 50 years. Its the same colour as yours but of course is 62 years old now so not so bright. Its only when you see the process of fitment do I realise how lucky I am to still have these old carpets! . Most people who look in my car always say how much they like the interior smell and that is the old carpet !
        So interested in seeing how you are attempting these two jobs and again your great descriptions on your methods and your photo's.

Interested again to see how the Aluminium welding goes on the back lid for you.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Roy! The carpet project was a nice change of pace from the stresses of fitting that lid. Your car still having its original carpets is yet another nice feature. Aside from the pieces being cut out incorrectly the quality of the carpet itself is no where near what was installed back in the day. The originals had that heavy threaded webbing on the back where the new stuff only has a thin polyester base that pile is sewn onto. The tan color itself is not quite correct for my car either. The original from my car is more on the tan/gold side where this new stuff has a lot of reddish brown in it. According to Michael Doyle this version was introduced during the 356B run but could very well be closer to the T2 version found in your car. If you have a moment could you take a few clear photos of your access cover/kick panel area that I'm working on? I'd like to see how close or far off I am as to how the factory finished these areas. Thanks again Roy!

• Further kick panel fitment:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8062.JPG Views:	0 Size:	743.7 KB ID:	112199 Tunnel mat will go underneath in the end but this is now my basic final reveal shape around the access cover.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65015.jpg Views:	3 Size:	911.7 KB ID:	112200 I left the lip just shy of the top mounting screw. I don't know if that's correct or not but it felt and looked right. Let's see what Roy's car looks like..
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65016.jpg Views:	3 Size:	758.1 KB ID:	112201 Went to the next step and relief cut then folded the top over the rear seat pan.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65017.jpg Views:	3 Size:	745.2 KB ID:	112202 Good skirt length with no bunching or wrinkles around the arch.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65018.jpg Views:	3 Size:	827.9 KB ID:	112203 An unforced fit that looks about like it should...I think. This where keeping more of the original carpet sure would have been nice. This piece all ready to be sent out for rebinding unless I change my mind in the mean time.

Onto the forward kick panels.

Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 11-18-2021, 08:20 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• I will sort out a few photos Justin of my T2 carpet.
          Roy

Click image for larger version

Name:	zroy_65019.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	112209

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for posting this shot Roy. Hmm, I was thinking the kick panel lapped over the access cover and "framed" it like the bottom run does. I'm sure this cover has been removed and installed many a time through the years do you remember it being the opposite in the beginning?
            Thanks again.

Justin

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8038.JPG Views:	0 Size:	695.3 KB ID:	112215 I may have answered my own question Roy, Your T2 cover has the hook to secure bottom instead of the twin cheese head screws like a T1 above. The tunnel carpet definitely laid over top of them as there is no holes for these screws in my original piece. Since the tunnel section tucks under the kick panel skirt the edges of it could not be under the access cover ahead of its final mounting. I'd have to partially pull the sides out from under the cover to get the tunnel's flaps beneath the kick panel's skirt then tuck them back in. The natural order in my case would be the cover in place first, then the tunnel and finally the kick panel skirt laid over top of all. At least that's what I think at this point...

Hope this made some sort of sense.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin just got onto this reply been busy! That photo of mine is how it always been since I bought the car. I have had the cover off a few times and I took photos. Its so simple just unscrew the top screw and yes you made me remember the hook arrangement just pull the cover back and its in your hand, A minute only and its off.

I have to find the photos and put them on. I have to establish why I can't get the larger photo onto the forum site. Something for me to ponder on!!

Roy

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2948.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	112226 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2951e.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	498.6 KB
ID:	112227
            Last edited by JTR70; 11-22-2021, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Roy, I think you're correct and that the access cover "caps" the entire area for a T2 version with the lower hook. The double cheese head screw T1 version like mine doesn't allow for that if and I mean only if the lower tabs are concealed under the carpet. A lot of restorers I see are mounting them over top and exposed but that is not how it came according to my OG carpet section.

As for posting photos see the shots above. Ignore the camera icon and look to the right side and click on the tag icon and load your pics that way. Place the curser back into the text box and hit "large" where you would like that particular photo to display.

Thanks again for providing some additional insight on this area Roy.

Justin

• After a little research here is what I've been finding the well known 356 restorers doing for this area:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	accesscover2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	498.5 KB ID:	112230 This is obviously a T1 with the access cover capping over both pieces with the lower screws mounted exposed.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	accesscover3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	463.8 KB ID:	112231 Another T1 with lower mount tabs exposed.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	accesscover1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.7 KB ID:	112232 T2 version capping the area as Roy describes his car as being originally. T1 twin screw tabs were replaced with a single slip in hook to secure the bottom for T2.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7181.JPG Views:	0 Size:	202.1 KB ID:	112233
            While mounting the cover on last makes life simpler for both T1 and T2 as pictured in the three previous examples the authenticity issue is that for a T1 the carpet lapped over and concealed the lower screws. My original section has no holes in it for mounting the cover over top. This being the case the vertical section would have to lap over the cover as well. The tunnel section finishes under the vertical wall piece (on all 356A I assume) and if you take a look as to how tight that area is in that Green T2 example I would be locked out if the vertical section was trapped under the cover before I got the lower screws in. BTW they are a PIA to install as they are right up next to the cover and the cover itself has to be squeezed a touch as it goes to ensure they aren't cross threaded. You need a clear shot to install them so slipping a screw driver in between the carpet joint would not be an easy option. So from what I gather so far a T1 cover goes on first with a carpet overlay. T2 by contrast goes on last and caps the carpet. We'll see if this theory holds up. Sure wished I would have saved more of the OG carpet to this car. All of this aside, aesthetically, the way I think I'm headed will look better. Throughout the entire car, anywhere there is a joint or break in the carpet there is a bound edge; everywhere but at this access cover. The mock-up photo of my car above just follows how the rest of the carpet set is installed.
            Last edited by JTR70; 11-22-2021, 10:28 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• ​ Justin I have found the way I think that works on the photo entry. sorry its of my starter motor!! But after reading the text of your rear carpet and inspection cover fitting I think you are correct to follow the way you prescribe for T1. I agree because you have followed everything so well for T1 that's how it should be with this placement. Now I have to work out my old pics I have and transfer them to WIN10 documents. Then I will send T2 correct ones just for your interest.

Nothing is always easy getting it all correct on these cars. There is a story on my starter motor original factory item that had me so confused I might relate that later.

Just hope the pic comes out large !

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                JTR70 commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad you got it figured out Roy. Like everything else we've been talking about its not usually that simple.

• Forward kick panel and pocket mock ups.

I'll be running the vinyl GT style coverings up front and along the threshold but I'm working with the carpet now as I want whole set done in anticipation of the day when it may go back to stock GS correct.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7959.JPG Views:	0 Size:	527.2 KB ID:	112243 Again, since I wasn't forward thinking enough back in the late'80's to preserve the original interior I have to resort to example photos. Fortunately enough Brett Johnsons new Authenticity book provides a couple of key photos of an original T1.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7960.JPG Views:	0 Size:	977.1 KB ID:	112245
              Both kits that I bought are again set up for a T2 application. The leading edge wrap that replaced the early alloy binding strip. The pocket profile also runs a little straighter in the reference photo. At this point I have removed the vinyl edge wrap and cut the pocket free (as they come sewn together) I want to both correct its profile and reset it at just the right height specific to my car and the existing mounting screw holes. A piece of carpet with a straight edge placed over the left panel to represent what I'm after.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65039.jpg Views:	3 Size:	643.2 KB ID:	112244 This photo highlights that saddle profile shape I want eliminated.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7183.JPG Views:	0 Size:	186.7 KB ID:	112246
              Begin fitting and trimming back my test panel for the best contoured fit. A lot going on all at once, trying to get the top of the contoured panel placed as high as I could up the wall while following and avoiding all the various shapes up there. Then the Leading edge and top corner had to fit and finish out with the alloy strip and the bottom of the dash. All of this then taking care that the rows in the carpeting run vertical as it went.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7976.JPG Views:	0 Size:	569.2 KB ID:	112247 Then onto trimming back along the bottom for the smoothest and uniform transition in anticipation of the pocket overlay. The second goal is keeping it all as thin as possible when its all over. I'm not drilling any additional holes. Strictly using the existing mounting screw holes so it was a bit more effort fishing around for them. Then the re-punch a second or third time as the fitment progressed.
              Last edited by JTR70; 11-27-2021, 02:07 AM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Pocket work:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7964.JPG Views:	0 Size:	547.1 KB ID:	112249
                Test section with a straight bound edge for mock ups. I am setting up the pocket so the mount screw comes out just at the lower edge of the binding as the original example shows. Fishing for the forward mount screw hole here. I think it was a nail up there originally but it will be a screw this time.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7972.JPG Views:	0 Size:	732.7 KB ID:	112251 Back panel remounted with pocket and final forward layer section. The leading edge of this outer layer runs right down the vertical stepped relief edge along the closing wall.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7971.JPG Views:	0 Size:	814.0 KB ID:	112252 Top edge of this panel mounted as high up the wall as I could get it while still lying flat . Dives down just clearing the trunk floor. Intersects with the forward outer layer with just enough reveal to allow the washer tube to pass through. I was really shooting to maintain this joint.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7970.JPG Views:	0 Size:	688.9 KB ID:	112250 The outer forward layer actual fits fine but I don't like the way the binding bunches up in the lower turn. The entire carpet set will have to be rebound to ensure it all matches so I'll go ahead and smooth out that corner. Anyway, I'm happy enough with this preliminary fit and this is before the luxury of glue. The pocket and panel had to be separated; No way could I have achieved the top panel fitment all the while having the pocket end up in just the right spot fresh out of the box. It would have been a series of compromises for an average fit. Now tailored to my liking
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8117.JPG Views:	0 Size:	848.5 KB ID:	112253 The final panel shape established and now transferring that over to its mate. A good amount removed from the way it came.
                Last edited by JTR70; 11-28-2021, 01:30 AM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Well done Justin real differences from T1 to T2 ! I had no idea of those aluminium trim items on T1.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you Roy. A lot of restored T1 cars feature the T2 wrap that is offered.

• GT kick panel and pocket work:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8113.JPG Views:	0 Size:	593.3 KB ID:	112258 This vinyl kit too is also set up for a T2. Right side is how it comes out of the box with the leading edge wrap and pre-sewn in pocket. Left side panel trimmed to fit my car with saddle shaped pocket profile eliminated.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8096.JPG Views:	0 Size:	750.6 KB ID:	112259 I used my newly fitted carpet panels as the template. Same amount of excess as with the carpets removed.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8097.JPG Views:	0 Size:	664.1 KB ID:	112260 A very quick mock up to confirm. Within striking distance once I begin installing in earnest.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8120.JPG Views:	0 Size:	893.3 KB ID:	112261 Both panels and pockets trimmed and ready to be sent out for rebinding. Fortunately for me a roll of edging was included with my kit. I've asked that the pocket remain separate so I'm free to dial in the best adjusted fit for both pieces as they are installed.
                  Last edited by JTR70; 11-28-2021, 08:08 PM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• I suppose only the GT had these vinyl panels and pockets above? Never seen vinyl pockets ( or never noticed ! ) these before.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                      JTR70 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The Vinyl GT panels are identical to their carpet counterparts Roy. The only difference is the material.

• Back panel and side upholstery:

Gone about as far as I could with the rear carpeting. To dial in the lower base carpet pieces accurately the sides have to be fully upholstered and built. Switching gears to the rear panels.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	643.JPG Views:	0 Size:	206.6 KB ID:	112265 This was the original rear upholstery out of my late '56 coupe. It was covered over in black Naugahyde in probably the early '70's and I was fortunate enough to find it so well preserved for information purposes. This shot was taken just before I sold it all to Road Scholars . I made a paper template of the back panel and kept the driver side panel for future reference.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	645.JPG Views:	0 Size:	204.6 KB ID:	112266 OG rear panel was a little curly and cooked but provided good info for a basic template.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 589.JPG Views:	0 Size:	228.6 KB ID:	112267 Great info for not only the basic shape but also for pleat width and overlay direction
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	carrera 578.JPG Views:	0 Size:	192.6 KB ID:	112268 Like a lot of the components this too was numbered to the car.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7889.JPG Views:	0 Size:	439.4 KB ID:	112269 My templated taken directly from that OG panel. Its an okay generic fit but its a bit short in places and the contour of the top reveal could be a lot better. developing this template further for a custom to this car.
                    That next...

Thanks for looking!
                    Justin
                    Last edited by JTR70; 12-05-2021, 01:42 AM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                    X