X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211805265B
    Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Looks great!!!! Any info on the past owners in South Africa.
      As you know my car was there at some stage.
      I have heard that all 356's around that time were CKD's to reduce import taxes etc and they have a 5 digit Vin/ Chassis number.
      So would it be fair to say that is was after that period (whatever dates it was) that it made it to SA?
      I will look into it.

Cheers

Jim

Comment

Jack: that Wolfsburg West headlight bucket for bus up to 1963 that you posted a link to, looks less shallow than the first one. Is this a good replacement for the Porsche 356?

Click image for larger version

Name:	211805265B.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	74561
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Drew,

Keep that original paint on the dash!The dash does look very original and not messed about with. Some original paint is good to have!!

That bus bucket above does look deeper.

Roy

Comment

[quote="John Pierce" post=33156]Jack: that Wolfsburg West headlight bucket for bus up to 1963 that you posted a link to, looks less shallow than the first one. Is this a good replacement for the Porsche 356?

[/quote
            John, I have not used one of the WW buckets, but they have a good reputation for quality. The overall appearance looks correct, and does not have the extra holes and brackets to deal with like the Dansk 911/912 ones. Of course out here in SoCal, I usually can find a beat down VW fender with a good bucket at one of the many swaps for $30 or so.
            Attached Files
            Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

It's yours Drew. A small token of my thanks for letting me use your deck lid. Once its grafted in You could claim that I suppose; It'll be a good story either way. I'll slip it in the box and get it out to you by next week. Thanks again!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks once again Justin, the 'carrera' headlight rim cleaned up quite well.

Name:	DSCF6460_sml.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	76734

Name:	DSCF6458_sml.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	76733

It has been trimmed and is a perfect fit.

Name:	DSCF6462_sml.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	76735

Also finally finished my shrinker stretcher stand, all wedded up and painted, can't wait to start shrink'in and stretch'in those shapes.

Name:	DSCF6452_sml.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	76736

Name:	DSCF6453_sml.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	76737

Name:	DSCF6456_sml.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	76738

Thought the foot grips were a nice touch.
                More soon
                Drew

Comment

My pleasure Drew, So glad it found a new home! Looks great in there.
                  Congratulations on the S&S dies, will get myself a set one day. Love the pedal pads BTW.
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	aaaaaaaaaaaaaaSCF6460_sml.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	76805
                    Drew, I highly recommend addressing that dent before installing the bucket and even that donor ring if you have not done so already.

Name:	carrera643.JPG
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	76806
                    That area on my car was a little pushed in as you can see though not quite as bad. We got it close but still not close enough and I didn't not realize it until after I had the fender all back together this last time. I'll tell you once that concave shape has been "oil canned" in like yours shows it really fights and wants to stay flat. The worst part is that there is only limited access against the trunk wall to get behind it to spoon it out. To really get a clean crack at it the panel should be removed and worked properly. But if you can get your arm and tools in through the headlight opening you'll have more of a fighting chance at it. Just a mistake I made that I wanted to warn you about.
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Justin for the tip.
                      I will be taking the whole nose off to the original weld line to push out this dent and sort out some very thin metal around the PORSCHE script area.

Name:	DSCF6391_sml.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	76823

Here is the the other side and the subject of my first trial shrink'n'stretch test piece.
                      Dansk headlight buckets should arrive today so I can use them as a template to get the curve right.

Also been busy sorting out the first door.

Name:	DSCF6144_sml.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	76824

Rust had put holes around the handle so out with a section including the strengthener behind.

Name:	DSCF6147_sml.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	76825

Name:	DSCF6149_sml.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	76826

Name:	DSCF6206_sml.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	76827

All welded up and ready for the new handles.

More soon
                      Drew

Comment

Oh okay, if you're pulling the nose off then problem solved. Sorry I don't have a left side bucket opening to offer you. WOW, never seen a door rust out behind the reinforcement plate for the handle like that. The skin of this car has definitely seen some moisture! Hope the chassis faired better.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Drew,

Like Justin never seen a door rust there. But.. what a nice repair you have made That car of yours has ended up in the right place, you really know what your are doing!

You make me laugh Drew, ' just take off the front clip to get behind the thin badge area' I don't think anything seems to frighten you, I was petrified sometimes on bodywork but strangely never with mechanical issues. Look forward always to seeing your next endeavour on this car.

Roy

Comment

Thanks Justin and Roy
                            Like you this is the first I have seen rust through around the door handle, strange as the lower door skin is in good shape. The inner frame and door bottom is a deferent story though.
                            I have seen on the Dansk site that a complete inner door structure is in production can any one give us more info, what is the fit/quality like?

Name:	ScreenShot2016-06-20at07.07.01.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	77100

My Dansk headlight buckets arrived, they look OK but will need a lot of mods to look right, one annoyance are these notches which will require some attention.

Name:	DSCF6484_sml.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	77101

Started making the left side headlight surround with the shrinker/stretcher, I'm doing it in two halves and I am quite happy with the first attempt.

Name:	DSCF6482_sml.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	77102

Name:	DSCF6479_sml.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	77103

More soon thanks for stopping by.
                            Drew

Comment

OK, time for the new bucket, easy....

So marked out Justin's headlight surround and cut...WOW that is a big hole.

Name:	DSCF6502_sml.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	77451

Now to get my new bucket through the hole...no go, this new Dansk bucket is bigger than the hole in fact it bows out half way down it's length. Nothing for it but to cut the surround in two.

Name:	DSCF6499_sml.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	77452Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6484_sml_2016-06-28.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	77450Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6507_sml.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	77454Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6508_sml.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	77453

Comment

Nice write up and pictures Drew

Maybe you should give Dansk autoparts some feedback on how to do the real bucket....

I guess most bigger companies are just stamping out parts that where accepted many years ago.... Not that it was 100 % correct but people was happy to get something that was usable

Thx
                                JOP

(So U R leaving us..... EU )
                                JOP

Comment

Working...
                                X