Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can certain forum threads have only a few degrees of separation? The old T-shirt thread here on Justin's site thought that pockets were a good idea. I had some BBE shirts made with pockets so that I could make notes when there was something worth noting, like some things of interest on this thread and what do I have in my t-shirt pocket? A small tablet from Pro-System, Inc. Thanks for those, Ashley, and I hope your multi-level hobby shop is still a productive get-away.
    Tell me your preferred size and I'll send you a BBE T-shirt!
    (and yes, I'd like more info on the gas-saver, too)

-Bruce

Comment

Thanks Bruce, it would be much appreciated and one of my most highly prized t shirts! ( they are 90% of my above waist wardrobe)

2XL

Il take a picture of my gas saver rig. I think the brand of the one I have is actually ....Gas Saver. It should be called "torch setting saver" instead.
      Here is the first link I came upon looking on the web just now:
      http://www.sparkstorch.com/gasaver/blacksmithing.htm

I don't know what all the stuff around the one pictured on this link is. Mine is simple with two hoses in and two out - hang the torch on the rod that actuates the valve.
      In my little shop I can leave the bottles in one place and take the gas saver to the work. It sits on top of a piece of tubing that is attached on the other end to a brake rotor.

The one down side to the pilot is that it can soot up the shop if not adjusted correctly. It's almost as convenient to just keep a striker close by and not use the pilot.
      Ashley Page

Comment

I used .023 in my mig for the first 10 years. After reviewing a discussion on a metal working forum I decided to try .030. I don't see a lot of difference, but seem to get a little better weld with the .030 wire. Settings are about the same. This is with a 110 volt Lincoln 125+.

Phil

Comment

Hey, Ashley, shirt a-comin'......I took a few days off from Justin's site to, get this.....work!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_10271.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	52864

I could write lyrics to a new C&W song....."I hadda work, my cell phone broke when I dropped it.....my pick'em up threw a shoe....so I shot it......

I've been bangin' away on a Coupe and my 30+ year old 'aircraft torch' is just worn out. Won't hold an adjustment. Too many guys have had the use of it. The site you linked has a Victor handle like mine, and tips! They also have the fuel saver, so I'm placing an order and they will, I'm sure, send you a commish!

I hope they have a new supple twin hose and new A check valves, too.

Best to you and everyone for a great Turkey Day.
          -Bruce

Comment

I was suppose to post a picture. Got the notice of your post and took one on he way home from work.
            I sent my torch handle and regulators to the place in the picture and they were very prompt plus paid the shipping back. They have parts for all the Victor products and equipment to test regulators. Everything works well and they sent the small orings for the victor tips. I was very pleased with the service.
            The black hose on my torch is extremely flexable. I got it here after looking everywhere with no luck. I like it if I don't think about the cost (ouch).
            https://www.tinmantech.com/html/welding_hoses.php

Name:	image_2014-11-25.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	52875

Name:	image_2014-11-25-2.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	52876

Name:	image_2014-11-25-3.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	52877
            Ashley Page

Comment

Now that is really a good product with the possibility just to get ride of the torch handle and gas shut off and the best part have your old settings intact
              First time I ever seen one or heard about one when I found it here.
              Thanks a million 4 ya tip
              JOP

Comment

Appropriately, I give thanks for the extra effort to share your knowledge, Ashley. I really love learning something new about what I already like.

I hope everyone reading here has a great Thanksgiving, especially Justin.

-Bruce Baker

Comment

That is a great Torch accessory!

Thank you very much Bruce! Wishing you and your family a great Thanks giving as well!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!!!!!!!

Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Justin thanks for making this great forum available.
                    Ashley Page

Comment

Originally posted by foamcar" post=21261
                      Added another tool this week. When welding, I need good light on the weld joint to get a good weld. I started with those halogen shop lights, but they put out a lot of heat. Bought a led shop light about 2 years ago and it is very nice and not hot. Was at Tractor Supply and saw this rechargeable version:

Now I don't have to worry about the cord or heat. About $40.

Phil Planck
                      Those lights definitely belong in this thread.

I have burned myself for the last time with a hot light. They are all in the garbage now. The LED light, also including flash lights and head lights of the kind you put on you head, have to rank near the top in the 'cant do without' category.
                      Attached Files
                      Ashley Page

Comment

Originally posted by bbspdstr" post=23459
                        I really love learning something new about what I already like.
                        Ditto!

Thanks for sharing information!
                        Ashley Page

Comment

Searching for pictures of my last Speedster, I came across some old contact sheets of the very early days of my career. I thought maybe I could find where there was part of a thread on rotisseries here on Justin's site but to no avail, so I'll post a picture here of what we did before rotisseries.
                          Pictured is a young "Das Keyman," Tony Euganeo, blasting a Speedster (with sand out of a siphon pot) that we just rolled over onto tires and padding against a garage door and propped it there. Please note the previous repairs about to be addressed but not yet undone....crude but effective....but gave impetus for the construction of a better piece of equipment around '73 or '74.
                          -Bruce

Name:	Tonyblastinga356.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	53034

Comment

Bruce, Great early work photo! That's a good idea, I can start a thread on rotisseries. Thanks again for sharing these neat old shots!
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by AMP" post=23488

Those lights definitely belong in this thread.

I have burned myself for the last time with a hot light. They are all in the garbage now. The LED light, also including flash lights and head lights of the kind you put on you head, have to rank near the top in the 'cant do without' category.
                              Bought a Husky 2500 lumen LED work light a couple of months ago after years of frustration at halogen burns and bulbs that were so fragile they'd pop at the slightest bump. NEVER GOING BACK NOW!

Husky LED Worklight/Stand
                              Jack Stenner
                              ---------------
                              1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
                              1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

My favorite new tool is the Dent Dial. All sorts of attachments that come in handy for working out dents in places that aren't easily accessible. I'm doing work on my bus, trying to preserve the original paint, and it's been invaluable:

Name:	dentdial.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	53115
                                Jack Stenner
                                ---------------
                                1953 Porsche 356 Coupe 1500N
                                1959 VW SO-23 Camper

Comment

Working...
                                X