Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John wrote: "Carello rods were exactly the same weight, same with the JE Psitons. The bottom end is bulletproof, just hard if you are OLD."

Weight: I sent my Carillo rods (often bought from Vic Skirmants) off to Walt Watson for balancing...along with the flywheel which Walt would trim for me (usually from 18lb to 9 lb) and the clutch cover I would buy from Walt (in a "package deal" with bearings). I would get the JE pistons from whomever had a set....Walt, Vic, Duane Spencer.

Walt would complain that the SCAT cranks were too often a "full bar" off of balance because "they must figure that they are being sold to tuners that balanced them anyway."

Walt's bolt stretch never was a problem, but Vic, bless his honest heart, had some customer failures when he assumed a certain bolt stretch value or method would work on a couple of race motors...but they failed in a rather spectacular way. Vic replaced everything affected and re-rebuilt those customer engines, not a cheap way to go...but the right thing to do.

Jb has shown the potential pitfalls in what should be an absolute best "insurance package" for a 356/912 bottom end....that can also be twisted at 8,000 rpm all day long in racing. Tom is getting a really good engine!

-Bruce

Comment

• I just found this product that would improve keeping track of that temperature on Cyl #3.
      It takes the temp from the sparkplug and should be more accurate than the old style also that it gives you a trend.
      Yes I know its for VW....but should work

Click image for larger version

Name:	93F646BD-4FA1-43A3-A2C7-398C199FC096.png
Views:	197
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	100530
      JOP

Comment

• Making a set of headers for a engine bench. Here is the tubing bender, it works just great. I have just started, but it was not too expensive. It is capable of 2" 1/4 wall steel pipe. You have to match the dies to the tubing, but it's a good investment. Roll cages and ralley bars should be easy.

Does the 37.5 X 1.5 mm exhaust tube with one hand. Well made and simple so far.

Name:	image_2018-05-05.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	100534
        Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

• Nice looking bender!
          Justin Rio

Comment

• This bender is really built well, and it works... I built the first section of exhaust pipe today, all four in four hours. One thing I did learn, the flange transitions. Do the rectangle to round transition first, then bend the tube. Trying to heat the end and form it when it's bent is doable, but is a pain.

Name:	image_2018-05-08.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	100599

Trying to insure it is flat and the right angle to match the other pipes takes some prior thinking.

Name:	image_2018-05-08-2.jpeg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	100600

I think for roll bars and other add on things, it's is fine tool, it's accurate, repeatable and easy to use.

Comment

• Ahhhhh, working outside in the 'tween time! Be 'tween too cold and too hot.

JB, is that bender lagged into the floor? I had inherited an old Hossfeld that was similar but mounted on a heavy vertical metal cabinet with shelves. Empty, it could be 'walked around.' The collection of dies stored in that cabinet really added weight for stability, but the best addition was a hydraulic ram with a two-way foot pedal for in/out.

That made the phasing easy(er) when bending alone. I no longer do roll bars or cages as old Porsches are rarely raced anymore. I needed the floorspace so my old stuff for that is residing at a friends bigger shop....... but your pictures made me miss that kind of fabrication and appreciate your figgerin' out of what you are doing with that exhaust.

Good work, good pictures, thanks. Oh, and thanks for bringing up good memories for me of the 'fun stuff.'

Bruce

Comment

• Bruce

Yes is attached to the floor with a 4x4 square tube. Un bolts and stands in the corner.

Comment

• Moved to engine Test run in stand stand
                  Attached Files

Comment

• thought i would share a simple machine i built (not completely my idea) that will help if you are into making panels. i tried to do this with no machining and it is possible quite easily

Name:	20180527_135920.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	101360

Name:	20180606_184829.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	101361

Name:	20180606_184857.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	101362

Name:	20180606_184922.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	101363

Comment

• JOP

Comment

• yes pal, built by me downunder lol, not the same dies we used at peter's, this machine uses 20mm round post dies not the 19mm square pullmax uses. it works great, and is very usefull

Comment

• "i tried to do this with no machining"

Nice machine, but for the above quote..... did you hand cut and shape the dies with a file?

Comment

• Originally posted by bbspdstr" post=43220
                            "i tried to do this with no machining"

Nice machine, but for the above quote..... did you hand cut and shape the dies with a file?
                            I did just that!... well cut with a grinder and cutting wheel but finished with a file

Comment

• Fantastic job on that machine! Bravo...and I want one.

Comment

• "I did just that!... well cut with a grinder and cutting wheel but finished with a file"

Now I'm really impressed...no, make that jealous.

Like Tom.......I want one. No, I actually have access to a Pullmax.

I am already trying to think about a possible plan on how I will maybe divest myself of the equipment I already have. "Retirement" is my wife's idea....at least so far. However, are you selling plans for your machine....just in case I don't "retire"?

Thanks,
                                Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X