Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you selling plans for your machine....just in case I don't "retire"?
    never thought about it, but i have been thinking how i could improve it and make it more saleable lol, fully built or plans...

Comment

• Oh man, I'd love to have a power hammer! Smashing my TIG welds instead of sanding them down with 80 grit as well as a set of thumb nail dies to shrink panels. That's a next level tool!

Here's a tool I have been on the lookout for... a 220V portable spot welder. Found this one with the optional stand that connects to a foot operated pedal. I've already used it on a bunch of stuff instead of plug welding. The bare metal car is my 57, the other one is a 58 Cabriolet I'm doing some metal work on. Since the spot welder weighs 30 lbs it can get a little heavy after the first 5 or so spot welds - learned this doing my own car; so when it was time to do the 58 I made a simple wooden A frame for $15 to hang it from. (No sore shoulders and back the next day)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	SW1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	101665

Name:	SW2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	101666

Name:	SW3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	101667

Name:	SW4.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	101668

Name:	SW5.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	101669

Name:	SW6.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	101670

Name:	SW7.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	101671
      trevorcgates@gmail.com
      Engine # P66909... are you out there
      Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Trevor

I have the same Miller spot welder, do you have the spot timer on the far side?

Name:	image_2018-07-28.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	101674

Try a rope and a couple pulleys from the top of the a frame. With a counter weight. I have about 30 pounds of steel hanging on a 3/8" sash cord. The top locator pulley can be moved across the top beam and you can swing the welder 2-3 feet from the pivot point. Those 18" tongs give you a good reach. 18" TT-9s will reach around a longatudional from the side.
        https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media/miller-electric/files/pdf/resources/resistance.pdf
        Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

• trevorcgates@gmail.com
          Engine # P66909... are you out there
          Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• If you get serious about floors and closing panels. Look for a Lenco Panel Spotter. Watch eBay I see them every now and again. If you have a big DC welder like a PowCon 300ST. You can use these probes and do some serious spots

Name:	image_2018-06-21.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	101707
            Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

• Hello all,

"He who dies with the most tools wins!" The original was Toys not tools, but they were not on Justin's excellent informational site.

I have posted some tools that I like on my thread: "1964 Bali Blue SC Restoration Project". However, those tools will get lost in my thread and some may find tools that I like to be useful.

POR 15 Metal Prep and synthetic chamois:

Name:	IMG_14941.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	101776

POR 15 sells Marine Clean to remove all grease and oil before treating the metal. Metal Prep (may have new name today) is used to acid etch the steel and two coats of POR 15 black to protect the steel from rerusting.

I use Metal Prep to soak strips of chamois and let sit all night to remove rust.

Name:	IMG_14891_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	101777

Before

Name:	IMG_14951_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	101778

Motorguard Dent Welder:

In previous SWB 911's I have had to pull large dents that I could not get to from the underneath like rocker panels. The Motor Guard pin welder does a great job for a home shop. Today there are "keys" and multiple pullers that you can purchase, but this simple tool helped me out of many jams.

Name:	IMG_15081_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	101779

Here is a photo of some pins welded on for a pull.

Name:	IMG_15191_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	101780

The Motorguard kit comes with a pulling hammer that is not subtle. So I looked for a better puller and found this one from Studlever that allows good control.

Name:	IMG_15281.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	101781

It is easy to use an end cutter and twist off the studs.

Name:	IMG_15251_2018-06-23.JPG
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	101782

More in the next post.

Tom

Comment

• Hello all,

Continuing with my favorite tools that I hope others can find useful.

Bolt Buster:

All of us have broken rusted bolts. One of the time tested methods to remove rusted bolts is a torch. I wanted one that would not start a fire. Bolt Buster is an induction heating coil that slips over the nut and makes it red hot for removal.

Name:	IMG_14451.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	101784

I tried it on a hidden nut. This one is inside the rear shock bumper.

Name:	IMG_14571_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	101785

More soon.
                Tom

Comment

• Hello all,

Evaporust:

All of us are plagued with rust, rust, and more rust.

In a previous post, I discussed using POR-15's Metal Prep soaked in synthetic chamois to remove rust.

Evaporust cannot be used on chamois. Parts need to be soaked in Evaporust. But, Evaporust is not caustic as Metal Prep. You can put your hands in it. Evaporust even says after using all the rust removing properties in Evaporust, you can pour it on your grass. They say that is that environmentally friendly.

Name:	IMG_14801_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	101787

Her is a before and after comparison of two identically surface rusted RD door bottoms. I made a long trough out of two flower trays.

Name:	IMG_14811_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	101788

Wray Schelin's Shrinking Disk:

Many have used a shrinking disk to remove minor lumps and bumps similar to spoon and dolly, but faster.

You need Wray's shrinking disk, available on his website, a rubber backing disk and a rag for cooling.

Name:	IMG_15471_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	101789

Before and after:

Name:	IMG_15481_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	101790

Name:	IMG_15531_2018-06-23.JPG
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	101792

More soon,

Tom
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Hello all,

Drew and our fearless leader, Justin among others here have fabrication skills far beyond what I have, or will ever have. However, I will blunder through my restoration doing the best I can.

One of my key tools is a DVD from Great Britain. David Gardiner sells Body Work Restoration Tutorial. His website is:

www.metalshapingzone.com

He discusses common tools and gas welding for restorations. I find it worthwhile for someone like me that loves to work on our little cars, but needs some confidence. David gives me that confidence.

For example, I made a valley in my door inside skin that I would have never have the ability to make.

Name:	IMG_17651_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	101794

Part of the passenger door that needed an angle that I used a wide chisel as David described.

Name:	IMG_15761_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	101795

If you need confidence in your restoration like I did, try his video and nothing can stop you.

Door Hinge Pin Tool:

When I did my SWB 911's getting the doors off was difficult with a hammer and screwdriver, so I purchased a Door Hinge Pin removal tool from Baum Tools.

It has a slide hammer and jaw that the hinge pin fits into. In seconds, the hinge pin is out. Also, you can reinstall a hinge pin with the tool tool.

Name:	IMG_17831_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	101796

Name:	IMG_17861_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	101797

Name:	IMG_17871_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	101798

Tom

Comment

• Hello all,

Eastwood's 3M 4 1/2 Inch disk

I have used this disk with great results for paint, rust and bondo removal. I have only found it at Eastwood and not local auto body supply houses.

Name:	IMG_17721_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	101800

Here is an example of my front fender being cleaned up to see what damage occurred to cause the door's damage.

Name:	IMG_17751_2018-06-23.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	101801

Oneida Dust Deputy:

I have used my Shop Vac for both vacuuming the garage and my Cyclone blasting cabinet. My Shop Vac has a paper bag that does not allow me to switch from the vacuuming to the cabinet without replacing a dust bag.

The Dust Deputy handles that situation. It uses a cyclone to put the debris into a five gallon plastic bucket that can be easily be emptied before the next task. Oneida states it collects 99% percent in the bucket. My test it captures 100%. There is no residue in the Shop Vac.

Name:	IMG_16981.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	101802

Tom

Comment

• Hello all,

When we drill holes for spot welding, the spacing is sometimes an issue.

A Rivet Fan is ideal to make the holes even and the welds strong due to being close together.

I saw this tool at the EEA annual convention at Oskosh, WI a while ago and it made a lot of sense to me.

Here is a link to see the tool in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6SuHTHoRd0

Happy welding.

Tom

Comment

• Hello all,

Ratcheting wire connector pliers:

Like others, I had used the normal wire crimpers for years, but sometimes the connector and the wire parted. Not a good thing. A racecar shop that I frequent uses ratcheting wire connector pliers.

Name:	IMG_18801.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	101821

These work very well and the wires do not come out of the terminals. As you may be able to see in the photo, there are yellow, blue and red dots that indicate where to insert the terminal. Boy, does the ratcheting mechanism lock the terminal and wire together.

Also, I just found these heat shrink terminals and here is a video that describe how they work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrInkQE0J2g&list=PLAxdsA1NmxpEtYKKPOFyvOTiodTkCJ6Fv&index=63

Tom

Comment

• Hello all,

This is a personal safety post.

Install a foot pedal for any shop tool that you may not be able to reach to turn off.

A very good friend of mine owns a large shop and one morning he was using a belt sander when his finger got caught and he could not reach the off button. He lost the end of his index finger in the sander. Just imagine the pain of having your index finger being ground off in a sander.

My strong recommendation is to install a foot pedal for any machine, such as a belt sander to instantly shut off the tool. Those who own a professional shop should definitely install foot pedals as the machines are used throughout the day.

Here is a YouTube video on a simple Harbor Freight foot pedal that the tool plugs into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fpSsS4ZFOY

As you visit other shops, tell this story too to save fingers, or perhaps a life.

Tom

Comment

• Those red, blue, and yellow connectors are junk. We take those things off when we see them on any customer's car.
                              Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Hi Jack,

What terminals do you recommend? I only know about bullets that came on the 356 and Weather Pack connectors.

Comment

Working...
                                X