No announcement yet.

The Resurrection of Foam Car - 63 T6B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys, often the simple pushing of fingers of a bullet end on a wire is not enough to sense a positive insertion and a small, OK, tiny screwdriver can be inserted along the wire and used push directly on the edge of the soldered bullet.

When all parts involved are "like new" and fully connected, it can be a bear to get them apart....and many a rear-of-gauge or relay flimsy socket is damaged in the process.

I buy bare crimp-connectors for a practical reason...you can tin the end of the wire, crimp on the appropriate end and then sweat a little more solder into the barrel. Best of both worlds without a third hand. I then shrink black tubing over all if appropriate (like a female spade) or just the connection's part that's crimped and soldered.

Just reporting personal experience "to the best of my recollection" (and trusting that the Senator's time for questions runs out before I need to answer something really important): 900 series Porsches were the first to have switches with spade connectors. There are always exceptions, but tinned ends were affixed to a terminal pass-through via small brass machine screws on the early cars through the A (and on through most if not all fuse strips), bullet connectors morphed in with the late A into the B/C and I think spade/blade connections began with grounding connections on the gauge brackets and the dome lights as changes slogged along until the 356 model was ended in '65/'66.

My reference has always been with the changes I found when restoring the 14th from the last SC Cabriolet. The DIN specs had changed, so ATF nut and bolt head sized changed, actually mixed..... the plating went from 'silver' cad to 'yellow' cad (and mixed on hardware) and the wire connectors were quite randomly mixed all around a unique harness.

Thus, many I know refer to an A as a 'pre-B' and a T-6 B as a 'pre-C' and a C as a 'pre-something not a 356.'

-Bruce

Comment

• Bruce
      Thanks for setting me straight on the evolution of h/l switches. I have edited my misleading post earlier to refer to yours. Somewhere I thought I had read that the C and 900s used slide ons. But, the harness schematic I have shows bullets for C, duh. Anyway, some really great info you have shared. Thanks - Phil

Comment

• Phil, you should have your requested wires soon. I sent them FedEx (ground) 2 days ago. Need more, let me know. Your request made me "organize" such stuff and make me realize how much I have compared to how little I need...and how many more old harnesses I have to dismember....(or not).

IF I get to "retire," I sense a swap meet AT BBE would be in order. After that Adam can swoop in and take what's left.......

THEN, Marti can have half of her wish of going to Florida. I want to do as you do....the common name is "snowbird" but native Floridians who drive behind snowbirds refer to them as "Q-tips"...puffs of white above a thin neck.....jus' sayin.

Bruce

Comment

• Wires showed up this a.m. from BBE electrical dept. Bruce, give that guy a raise - great packaging and just what I needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bruceswires.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	89484

Here's my old fuel gauge wires at tank sender end along with BBE new wires:

Name:	fuelguagewires.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	89485

Yes, lot's of snowbird jokes in FL. I was talking to a guy at the street rod shop coffee and donuts who went to northern Georgia in the summer. I asked him what they called him - half back.

I hope to make some good progress now getting this harness back together. Thanks a ton Bruce. I think you should have a "by invitation" pre swap meet swap meet.

Phil

Comment

• "Bruce, give that guy a raise - great packaging and just what I needed."
            I will be sure to give "that guy" (Bruce) a raise, at least to what my part-timers make.

The "help" I got on that wire order was from Speedster/Boxter driver Eric Wahlberg, past prez of the Central PA Region, PCA, the group responsible for the big Spring meet in Hershey. He runs the Concours part and knows 356s.

Retired and active, he comes all the way from Lancaster PA a couple of days or so a week to help out. He provided the Lancaster newspaper I stuffed into the box he found that was sent to you by me. Thus, he is sort of my part-time Shipping and Receiving Dept.

I keep poking at him to also participate here on ABCGT, but he is still somewhat active with the R-site and very active with PCA and autocrossing and helping with grandkids. Apparently, one gets busier when retired. Oh, he is also active with AACA at their museum in Hershey......

We here and around or associated with BBE are almost all close in age, some a little older, some a little younger and many are 'Nam vets....so it's like a community center where the focus is on old Porsches that need fixing and who does what, best.

My newest "leadership" role is to get each worker to write down in their own words what the instructions for the tasks I expect them to do are, as related as we meet in the morning. That's so when I find them doing something else, they can't say they didn't hear me or "misunderstood." Usually, it's "I forgot." (It's an age thing, I guess. I need to write everything down and then leave notes to find my notes!)

Old friend, former 356er and Woodie Club Prez Bill Sampson had a phrase for that when we were all in the Registry: "Herding kittens."

Yep, retirement is getting more attractive as time marches on. I look forward to less or no overhead, maybe 3 days a week where I can share my accumulated knowledge of old cars somewhere. That would be like a "raise."

Thanks,
            Bruce

Comment

• Bruce,

Take it from me, I read your posts on here always very carefully as they are so informative. It really is so nice to know there are people like yourself on this forum, that you can ask a question and expect to get a sensible answer from them on anything regarding 356.

I retired ten years ago, somehow seem to still be very busy but involved in so many things I could not do, when working for a living!!

Roy

Comment

• Been busy with other must do projects. Got a little time today to tackle a bad stretch area from accident that I could not smooth down. Used the shrinking disc and got it pretty smooth. As Justin says: good enough for the body guy to finish(that would be me). Anyway, this fender area has been waiting too long to get smoothed out.

Name:	stretchedmetal.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	90688

Name:	stretchedmetalshrunk.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	90689

Name:	stretchedmetalpainted.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	90690

Comment

• Phil,

Glad to see that you got some time on the car. I really like using the shrinking disk. How long did it take you to get it smooth?

JP
                  jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Looks like you're getting her leveled out nicely Phil!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Phil, great that you have gotten back on Foam Car. I have been working again on my un-nick-named A Coupe, finally!

I wish I had a picture, but one of the "old guys," Don Diehl, with whom I worked many moons ago, had made his own "shrinker." It was like a T-bone. A nut for the air tool mounting and two big bolts welded together just off the nut and ground to a smooth thin 'bone' shape.

OSHA would have been aghast (hell, I was) and it made a hellacious noise (at probably 20,000 rpm+) but it would shrink metal (or at least push it around) with good success. For him. I tried it once and it literally scared me so much that I never wanted to try it again! I didn't want to be in the same building with him with that!

It was a safety hazard, for sure.....but the old guy with no gloves, no eye protection......managed to survive it's use for the many years I knew him. It's not an issue now, as he is 80-something and had 2 heart attacks....and no, I haven't asked to inherit his "shrinking tool."

It was like small hammers were glancing off the high spots, spinning at thousands of blows a minute. I'll take the stainless disc's friction, thank you!

Don was one of those old-school metal guys who used to work with Harry Tidmarsh and other than fixing crashed aluminum-bodied cars like Cobras, Ferraris and 300SLs, they were fabricating full-scale bas-relief, or 3-D length-wise half of a design exercise for a major car show exhibition for a major manufacturer. Don was a fantastic welder of aluminum with a TIG, (the late)Harry could do fabulous aluminum welding with a gas torch.

I sadly can't hold a torch ((or a TIG)) to the talents those guys possessed...but we're still havin' fun, right!

Bruce

Comment

• John
                        I'm guessing it only took 2-3 minutes with the shrinking disc to lower that ridge. I put a Murphys Oil soap solution on the disc. After the first shrink I raised some low spots and tried to work on a gouge with no success, then went over it with the disc a 2nd time.

Bruce
                        Would have loved to see that tool in operation(from a distance). You were fortunate to be around those guys. Tools and processes have changed some since then. I hope to put a blitz on Foam Car this fall to make up for lost time with other projects. You do the same.

Phil

Comment

• Bruce and Phil,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DpbDyNU6f4

This youtube shows two guys working using a shrinking disc to remove a high spot on a rear fender.

I was intrigued in how it all works. I can understand the rotating disc held against the ' bump ' gets the metal really hot on the high spots and the spots then contract?

I have no ideas what the flat disc steel? material is? It seems to flex in use? Does it turn blue as it gets hot? I see it worked so well on the video as it did for you Phil. I have never seen or used one but its seems so much easier on area's you cannot easily get a dolly on and use a hammer.

Bruce, I am confused by your old guys tool. I can't work it out from your description that's why I tried to find a video.

He mentioned oil canning. Does this method of removing bumps under localised heat often cause ' oil canning' ?

So much to know about bodywork methods. Still confused by Bruce's description though.

Roy

Comment

• Roy, I'm sorry but I stopped watching at 2:39.

Smaller disc than the two I have, fine...but put enough heat to shrink the steel with plastic filler all around? One cannot be sure that the plastic won't lose it's grip on the steel for a couple of inches around the heat.

Quench with H2O? Bare steel is one thing, water-absorbing Bondo that shouldn't be that close is another. Really? That can crystalize the steel and make it brittle and the immediately surrounding plastic has a questionable future. The only filler that sticks until there is enough heat to run it on the floor is lead.

The good old boys had hands of callouses that allowed them to quip as they ran their hands over a still-hot shrink; "the best coolant is running through your hands while yer heart is still beating." AKA, blood. I just blow on it and wait for closer to ambient. I'm a wuss.

The quick look at the "patch" showed what looked like some spot-welds and an adhesive in maybe a step, not a butt-weld.

Both of those guys don't have the "hands" it takes to get a real "feel" with how they were attempting to get a relative interpretation for the smoothness of that area. Amateurs (without sufficient eye protection.)

Maybe I am being too critical. Maybe I just learned differently. I'll let it go......geesh. Hell, it's a BUICK, not a Porsche (I say in a very snooty way!)

As for Donnie's contraption, please imagine a big nut to screw onto the powered machine (or air tool). Picture then two big bolts welded shank-to-shank (end-to-end, 180*) across the nut. Then imagine as much time as it took to grind and polish the heads of the bolts and the shank into a smooth, organic, flowing, fairly thin shape.

Think of a dog bone treat and looking down or facing at the "pinwheel" that was the first impression I got. Think of two thick-handled spoons without the hollowed feature to make those work as designed.

Think of an airplane propeller without the twist and fatter, not tapered ends. Imagine it spinning VERY fast with those spoons striking the body metal with a glancing blow thousands of time, "heating and beating" the thin metal ever-so-gradually as the tool is navigated by the hands and intuition of a true expert in metal forming.

Knowing Donnie, he likely found a way to 'sorta' balance both sides, as while it was not completely smooth, it didn't chatter violently.

I hope that helps with a visualization.

"Oilcanning" is the sound over-stretched/overworked sheet metal makes when flexed....think of an old-fashioned oil can and that "pukka-pukka" sound. It needs to be relaxed, or in some cases, replaced if overworked past savability.

Anyway, good that you found that piece, but it shows not everything on Youtube is 100% correct....at least in my own experience.

Regards,
                            Bruce

Comment

• Bruce,

Its clear this bodywork business is not just down to the tools you use, but to the knowledge you obtain by doing the work over and over again, learning by your mistakes as you go. You could see the errors inside 2 minutes, I never gave those bondo applications a single thought!! I do know from my limited experience, the errors made in preparation can come back though and bite you badly sometimes five years or so later.

The points you made will not be forgotten,this is where forums like this one can make people think more before they start, on work they have never attempted.

Your description of the shrinking tool now makes more sense. Sounds horrific to me let alone using it.

Phil has done well to master that.

Roy

Comment

• Roy
                                Thanks for posting that video. Aside from Bruce's observations, that small disc looks similar to the smaller one Wray Shelin makes. He advertised it for use on a 356 in the tighter areas. The one I have is his larger disc. It's a heavy rig on that big grinder, and I wear heavy gloves and ear muffs. But it does work pretty well, and comes with a great DVD showing dent removal techniques. Now back to the underdash wire harness. I have determined the different sizes of plastic sheathing I need and am working my way through the 9 different sets of sheathed wires. The first set is the most damaged that attaches to the headlight switch. Using Bruces good wires I have spliced in the red with white stripe piece:

Name:	0828171922a.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	91058

Here is the old burnt wire next to the nice Bruce replacement:

Name:	0828171922.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	91059

Now, all 4 wires have been replaced. Made 2 new red wires and used Bruce's gray and red/white:

Name:	0828171924.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	91060
                                This bundle has been taped up. Now on to the next worst bundle.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                                X