No announcement yet.

The Resurrection of Foam Car - 63 T6B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil, you may want to talk to the guys at Y+Z. On T6 cars, the forward loom is separate from the rear section, and they have been known to repair existing looms with new wires where needed, and new jacketing, giving a professional repair.
    Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• Thanks for that tip Jack. I see that they sell a separate underdash harness, but have yet to find where it connects to the harness going to the rear. But, have not searched that hard yet. When I find it, I will probably remove it, as it will be a lot easier to work on.

Phil

Comment

• If I send this to YandZ I think they will puke:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1110161552.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	81925

Name:	1110161552a.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	81926

Only took about an hour to get it out - probably 10 hours to get it back in.

Comment

• Medusa comes to mind!
          Mike
          '63 B coupe

Comment

• Phil,

Hard to believe that was in your car once, the guy who did that must have thought I don't think I am up to this electrical work? Amazing pic. Actually, lucky the car did not short out and catch fire when that guy worked on it.

Roy

Comment

• "Medusa comes to mind! "
              Well, I am pretty stiff, but have not turned into stone yet.

Comment

• I'm back again from various distractions big and small and see a need to make an offer to Phil: I have removed a bunch of wiring harnesses due to age or damage as shown and if not from those long-ago "parts cars" we used to find, I replaced them in customer cars with Y's-n-Z's, Rhode Island Wiring or a German version. Not many owners want to keep their old harnesses, so.....

When time has permitted over the past few decades, I have harvested good lengths of original wire, coiled it up and twist-tied it and put like colors and coding together in bins. I also have boxes of complete old harnesses I have not had the time to dissect.

While ugly as shown for Foamcar, I have seen that and worse and fixed it with wire from my 'stash.' Let me know what you need and I'll see if I can help. Free wire, but you do the work, the soldering and buy your own appropriate shrink tubing or bullet ends.

BTW, "Medusa" parties in my shop with "Murphy." They play the "Stones" too loud. When I used to 'drink' it took a couple of "stiff ones" to loosen me up. Now I see the probable cause of what's wrong with my brain.....

Bruce

Comment

• Bruce
                  Thanks for the generous offer. May just take you up on that. Will begin inspection to see what else besides the 2 red wires need replacing. Where does one find the plastic shrink wrap in the sizes needed? Most of what I have found is very small diameter and some of it more rubbery feeling, not the harder plastic.

Phil

Comment

• Harbor Freight, Radio Shack (if found), Grainger, plenty online....there are selections in sizes in kits or you can get a single size in various lengths. Even the best shrink tubing is not expensive. You can get the cheaper and double it up.

Let me know how I can help.

Bruce

Comment

• You just did help, Bruce. None of those places close up here, but good to know, as I get to the bigger cities now and then.
                      Phil

Comment

• My "go to" place is "McMaster-Carr Supply Co." Google it and it will boggle your mind what they have available, small quantities, UPS delivery, and excellent service. I've probably used them 30+ yrs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don C" post=36136
                          My "go to" place is "McMaster-Carr Supply Co." Google it and it will boggle your mind what they have available, small quantities, UPS delivery, and excellent service. I've probably used them 30+ yrs.
                          MC is the bomb! I can order stuff and it is sometimes delivered same day or early next morning. Awesome.

PS. Great place for consumables too.
                          Mark Erbesfield
                          57 356A
                          65 911
                          68 912
                          73 911S
                          66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Thanks for all of the tips for shrink tubes. I am planning to take the harness to FL on our "winter" camping trip and work on it down there - so setting that aside for now. Most of my time since last update has been in physical therapy for shoulder and hip or out in the woods(fresh venison in the freezer). Today is last day of therapy, so will be able to spend some more time in the shop. Wife was in an antique shop the other day, with a very small mens dept. but found this:

Name:	plate.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	82418
                            and could not pass on it. Another resto project. Will cut and paste the last 2 digits. MI did not have a 63 plate, but issued a small metal tag for the upper, right corner. I have a pristine 62 plate and 63 tag, so will have to decide which to use, but I would prefer this one if I can get it looking decent.

Phil

Comment

• While some of you are at Jack's open house(hope you had fun) I finally got the rear brakes installed. Pain, as I ordered linings 1mm too thick and had to hand file each end of the shoe 1mm to get the drums over them.

Name:	Rear_2016-12-17.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	82899

Need to test ebrake, as I switched sides on the rear cables so want to make sure they fully release. Then I can torque down the axle nut and put grease/oil in transaxle. Am very close to meeting my goal this year of getting the drive train back in. Engine did not make it, as need to repair big hole in inner panel behind engine first. A few things to do to rap it up. Here is Foam Car with most of drive train installed, and a lot more floor space freed up in the shop:

Name:	runninggearbackon.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	82898

Phil

Comment

• Phil, please stop before you go further, as I see several problem. I just spent an hour typing and the system timed out. 2nd time. Shite!!!
                                Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Working...
                                X