No announcement yet.

The Resurrection of Foam Car - 63 T6B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is one reason I am not currently getting much done on Foam Car. A bear attacked one of our bird feeders the other day. Had to use hammer and dolly to repair the feeder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2014-06-02.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	43363

Name:	P5300701.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	43364

Name:	P5300702.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	43365
    All straightened out:

Name:	P5300703.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	43366
    Now I am replacing butyl window seals and rubber glazing on our 20 year old camper. Then I need to split 2 more full cords of firewood for next winter. Have a cord and a half done this week.

I have almost finished up the butt welds on the rocker, but not worth showing as looks about the same as the last picture.

Comment

• Phil,
      We have the same feeder and like you the bears found it. I added a 6" long pipe to the bottom of the feeder that fits into the pipe in the ground and now we take it in every night...hope the birds appreciate it!

Comment

• Phil, I think a new bear skin rug would be really nice to lay on while you finish up the metal work on the Foam car.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Originally posted by JTR70" post=19322
          Phil, I think a new bear skin rug would be really nice to lay on while you finish up the metal work on the Foam car.
          X2

-The birds

Comment

• Time for an update, as you guys are leaving me in the dust on your projects. I have only been able to get in about 5 hours since my last update. Had to remove camper windows, put new butyl between the glass and the frames, and new rubber glazing moldings around the glass. Took several days. Next had to install new front shocks on the camper. One of the worst projects ever, as the Ford E series van is not easy to work on shocks. Took 1/2 hours just to figure out what size nut was holding the top of the shocks in. Can't see the nut, but can get to it with 2 fingers at most. Then the bottom stud broke while removing the nut so had to weld on a new threaded portion of the stud. Did not like the way the front brake lines looked, so replaced those. Then decided to go with new calipers and pads, as the calipers were 21 years old and I was worried about them locking up, as this thing sits much more than it is used. Then had the granddaughter up for 2 weeks and took her camping. A city girl afraid of insects and critters. Had her petting a frog by the end of the trip. 356 repair - okay; granddaughter time - priceless. Then there is splitting firewood for next winter. I need 4 full cords and am about 1/2 way there. Should finish up next week. Anyway, enjoying all the other updates and the hot rod pics. I did take 2 Ron Fornier metal working books along which I had not looked at in years. Always learn something new after you have been at it a while, as you can then better relate. I also picked up a Woodward Fab beading machine. Going to use it on some repairs on my grandson's Buick Roadmaster wagon that needs a few rust repairs.

I found an old political campaign sign which Bruce likes for the fender bead wire. Used the cap for my welding tank to form the wire to just about the right curve. Had to make it a little tighter on a smaller diameter tube:

Name:	frontrockerwire.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	44556
            My first attempt at welding the wire ends together:

Name:	weldiongfrontwire1.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	44557
            I clamped the old and new wires with miniature vise grips and thought I had a good weld, but did not. Started over by bending the old wire out a little to clear the fender and lined it up by hand and welded it:

Name:	weldingfrontwire2.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	44558
            Then I welded in the remaining butt gap at the rolled edge and filed in the radius and butt weld. I also spent time with a shrinking disc on the long vertical weld for the rear of fender repair panel and raising a few more dents near the rocker fender joint from old accident damage. While there is always a few more details to take care of, like the ugly looking weld penetration on the inside of the butt joint, I am happy to have this outside are metal finished:

Name:	wireinstalled.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	44559

I think my next step will be to finally remove the transaxle so I can get in the rear wheel opening to weld the quarter to the lock pillar, which is still just tack welded.

Comment

• Very impressive Phil. Sounds like you're having a good time. Your right, Grandkids trump it all. This tune's for you and the rest of this bunch...
              Best,
              Joel

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11093209&ex_cid=espnapi_internal

Comment

• Phil, the important thing is that you've got your priorities in the correct order! Oh yeah.... Nice job on the fender wire
                jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Looking good Phil! So nice to see a political sign actually being put to good use. Sounds like you certainly have your hands full this summer but Keep up the great work as time allows! Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Well done Phil. I use copper to keep weld where I want it also. Gordon

Comment

• Looks very nice Phil. Keep at it.

Did your rockers not come with wire in the end curvatures? All the ones I've bought were wired already, although I have had to do some gentle re-shaping to the curves.

Like you, I really love those shrinking discs!

Take care,
                      DG

Comment

• At hour 1350. Got the rear wire formed for the rocker and welded in. Rolled the metal back over the wire and finished up the butt weld in the wire area. Went over the front of door and rear of door repair panels with a DA sander to even out the metal appearance and prep it for priming. Put the door back on to finalize the shape of the rocker at the front door lower corner. Also this freed up some shop room for the transaxle, which is coming out soon so I can get in and weld the quarter repair panel to the lock pillar.

Name:	fenderDAsanded.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	44683
                        Front fender DA sanded

Name:	weldedinrearwirefenderDAsanded.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	44685
                        Rear fender welded up and DA sanded.

Name:	DAsandedside.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	44684
                        Door installed for final contouring of rocker at lower front.

Comment

• Awesome Phil.....so nice to see the entire side practically done. Great pic and great work!

I hope you get 1300+ hours enjoying the car when finished! Drive time, show time, ice cream trips, car wash time... Ha ha, not that fixing 'em isn't fun!

Comment

• Beautiful Phil! What an amazing sense of accomplishment you must have felt this afternoon; who wouldn't after all you've had to go through just to make it this far. Congratulations on a job well done!
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• Wow! You must feel great to see that light at the end of the tunnel getting closer. It looks great.

JP
                              jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Thanks guys. It has been a lot of work. Unlike chassis repair, this exterior stuff takes much more time. If I were younger I would probably do more metal finishing on the fender and quarter, but at my age, if I want to finish and drive this thing I need to move on. Looks like I am within 1/32 of smoothness at worst in some areas. Guess that is what skim coats of filler is for. I still am not happy with some low areas in the door caused by the bottom replacement. I have a plan that may easily fix this, but have not tried it yet. Will consult with my metal working forum first.
                                Phil

Comment

Working...
                                X