No announcement yet.

1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Justin all is clear now , that's a nice repair to have made so easy to have just filled a few holes and not realised what you were covering up ! Looks really strong now!
    Roy

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks again Roy, It was getting closer little by little...

• Gusset install with further wall preparation details.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9419.jpg Views:	0 Size:	588.9 KB ID:	113343 Forward gusset member plugged in.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9421.jpg Views:	0 Size:	575.2 KB ID:	113344 Wall back in to make sure they fit together.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9422.jpg Views:	0 Size:	565.5 KB ID:	113345 Wall is allowed to come in where it needs to be with the top of this flange swooping in and laying in against it nicely. All set with no more changes to this piece needed other than some weld dressing. Side note: The twin tack weld detail at the weather strip channel added. All the original gussets received two along here; these replicated right over top of the originals. Back to panel wall prep.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65776.jpg Views:	3 Size:	446.9 KB ID:	113346 Ready to trim away the excess along the quarter window base. Etched in the fold line along the top of this lip first.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_65777.jpg Views:	3 Size:	455.5 KB ID:	113347 Need about another 6mm left above the etch line to complete the fold cleanly.
    Last edited by JTR70; 09-29-2022, 08:45 AM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Last of the prep work along the top of the new closing wall.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	517.1 KB ID:	113349 Excess trimmed and adding in the 90 for the eventual wrap now.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9435.jpg Views:	0 Size:	523.8 KB ID:	113350 All set. Been a long road but the entire top run of this wall is now actually ready to be installed.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9433.jpg Views:	0 Size:	509.8 KB ID:	113351 Onto a bit more vertical flange correction.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9425.jpg Views:	0 Size:	481.9 KB ID:	113352 A touch more lower flange trimming and shaping..
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9426.jpg Views:	0 Size:	521.7 KB ID:	113353 and plug weld hole punching but its getting dangerously close to final install time.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
      Last edited by JTR70; 09-29-2022, 09:00 AM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Last of the closing wall prep before final installation.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9444.jpg Views:	0 Size:	508.4 KB ID:	113369 Doubled the plug weld holes along the vertical run of the lower flange to better replicate the amount of spot welds that where there originally. Tedious , the time was also now to back fill the securing holes in the rib reliefs.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9445.jpg Views:	0 Size:	582.1 KB ID:	113370 A quick comparison photo of the basic panel you receive and how much prep and torture it has to go through before its ultimately ready to go into the car.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9450.jpg Views:	0 Size:	514.6 KB ID:	113371 Lock post prep. Plug weld holes where drilled to the upper portion for welding to take place on the outside so I get a clear shot of the weld heads for finish grinding. Much more pleasant than trying to get down inside here to both weld and grind finish. The remaining run below the striker will be welded to the inside as I can get to them easy enough.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9452.jpg Views:	0 Size:	618.2 KB ID:	113372 Plug weld holes added to the panel side to finish off the attachment to the striker. I had the bottom flange run heeled over for fitment and trimming purposes but decided to hammer it back out flat now that its established. The upper run will welded first then I'll hammer it over again for much cleaner and tighter final fit against the chassis. This panel was now getting dangerously close to going in for good. There is so much going on at once that I kept racking my brain to make sure I wasn't over looking something. Then I remembered...
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9443.jpg Views:	0 Size:	397.6 KB ID:	113373 I had to get this last remaining bits of the upper closing arch flange. Peeling it off of the firewall flange here. Access was very limited and impossible with the new wall installed so the time was now.
        Last edited by JTR70; 10-12-2022, 08:32 AM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Overlapping arch repair panel:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9430.jpg Views:	0 Size:	440.6 KB ID:	113375 Decided to go ahead and make this closing panel before the wall went in; Just to be sure it would fit together before I committed.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9441.jpg Views:	0 Size:	518.2 KB ID:	113376 Paper template set and moving onto steel. Repurposing some more old door skin.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9463.jpg Views:	0 Size:	567.8 KB ID:	113377 basic part cut out in steel and test fitting with the new wall to make sure it had enough room to slide in between it and the firewall flange without distorting the sail panel skin. A snug fit with no deformation issues.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9464.jpg Views:	0 Size:	547.0 KB ID:	113378 Sunroof drain hole hand sheared in with the same rough cut treatment as was done originally. A bit for fine fitting to do but I've chased as far as I can for now.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9454.jpg Views:	0 Size:	528.8 KB ID:	113379 And now, at long last the new closing wall was mounted for the final time! Set screwing it in working from the center outward and making fine adjustments as was needed.

Thanks for looking!
          Justin

Justin Rio

Comment

• Well done indeed Justin !

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Sir!

• Begin wall welding and other peripheral repairs:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9466.jpg Views:	0 Size:	452.0 KB ID:	113383 Began welding from the center outward with the intensive task of leap frogging between set screws, tapping and retapping with a hammer and at times adding more screws to ensure it was as tight against the frame as I could make it.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9478.jpg Views:	0 Size:	600.4 KB ID:	113384 Completed the forward run first.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9483.jpg Views:	0 Size:	535.4 KB ID:	113385 Then moved out back. Just begging to test hammering the flange over here.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9484.jpg Views:	0 Size:	505.7 KB ID:	113387
            That was a long run of plugs but its done and now onto hammering the rest of it over tightly.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image_65805.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	589.7 KB
ID:	113386 Not surprising to find that the final fit had changed slightly from my earlier try so some additional trimming in sections was needed.
            Last edited by JTR70; 10-18-2022, 09:02 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9490.jpg Views:	0 Size:	529.7 KB ID:	113389 Entire lower run now trimmed and hammered over tightly.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9489.jpg Views:	0 Size:	568.2 KB ID:	113390 Began the welding up front first since there is little chance of any bunching or change on such a short lead. A few plugs welded and dressed along with a replicated gas weld to the leading edge at the corner.

Name:	image_65808.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	667.5 KB
ID:	113391 I needed a mental break from that process so I moved onto finishing up the cap for the gusset; it all has to be done eventually. 90 degree flange added with plug weld holes punched here.

Name:	image_65809.jpg
Size:	684.1 KB
ID:	113392 The originals have a slight flange added to the top edge to ensure a flush fit against the wall. Using my heel dolly here as hammer form to follow that curve.

Name:	image_65810.jpg
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	113393 Gusset complete and set screwed into final position.
              Last edited by JTR70; 10-18-2022, 09:13 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9482.jpg Views:	0 Size:	628.3 KB ID:	113395 Once I coat the cavity in sealer this will be ready to install for good at any time.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9493.jpg Views:	0 Size:	489.2 KB ID:	113396 Moved into the engine compartment to weld up and attach this corner that lies underneath the arch overlay so I could finalize that repair patch.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9495.jpg Views:	0 Size:	580.6 KB ID:	113397 New patch in its best adjusted position and now ready for its final trim to replicate the original.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9496.jpg Views:	0 Size:	607.5 KB ID:	113398 Cut to size and set screwed into final position. Again, once I get the cavity behind it coated this too can go in at any time. Once I have all my dominos in a row it gets knocked out pretty quickly but building up to this point is where all the time goes.

Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Last edited by JTR70; 10-18-2022, 09:31 PM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• All I can say is, although I did some fabrication and welding in this area near the rear torsion bar, I don't think I could ever have coped 45 years ago, with what you have managed above Justin. You have a lot patience to get that great standard of work. I can say this work is so demanding in every respect to get right. Its no wonder a rusty 356 can cost so many thousands to repair properly but so good you have the photographic truth to show anyone at any time what you achieved.

Roy

Comment

• Thank you very much again Roy, we are in the same boat. I did the rust repairs on my own car several years ago and got it close but with my eyes now I see where I could have gotten it better. However, just like your car it would be foolish at this point to tear mine down again to chase out a few minor short comings.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9514.jpg Views:	0 Size:	476.9 KB ID:	113401 For instance that wrinkle detail at the firewall junction to allow for drainage, I repaired this same area on my car but missed it. All I had to do was look at the other side but I just didn't "see" it and welded it all up tight. Certainly not a big deal and most people would look at you side ways for worrying about it but I have a tendency to sweat the details. Its an education that just comes with experience, no shortcuts about it; at least not in my world. I'm still learning...
                    Last edited by JTR70; 10-22-2022, 09:02 PM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Closing arch panel installed:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9501.jpg Views:	0 Size:	518.2 KB ID:	113403 Heavy coat of sealer bushed onto both sides of the cavity. After all the welding is over I'll be able to shoot more sealer into this area for more insurance.

Name:	image_65817.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	608.0 KB
ID:	113404 New patch panel mounted in for good. The weld joint area is irregular and a tricky concave shape so I curved some heavy stock to help press both sides into close alignment.

Name:	image_65818.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	624.6 KB
ID:	113405 Weld joint all stitched together and dressed as cleanly as I could hope for. The plugs were next and are no brainer so I wanted this joint out of the way first.

Name:	image_65819.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	580.6 KB
ID:	113406 Plugs welded and dressed. This new panel is all but in. Adding in some spot weld detail next then trimming and fusing its leading edge at the opening as it was done originally.

Name:	image_65627.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	564.3 KB
ID:	113407 Again the firewall junction drain detail was a replication of the opposite side.
                      Continuing the welding installation of the new closing wall.

Thanks for looking!

Justin

Thanks for looking.
                      Last edited by JTR70; 10-22-2022, 09:21 PM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Left side engine compartment repairs complete.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9519.jpg Views:	0 Size:	598.9 KB ID:	113409 Final spot weld detail, upper edge fused completed the install in this corner. Some minor clean up but for all intense purposes complete.

Name:	IMG_9515.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	675.8 KB
ID:	113410 Moving to the inside of the fire wall you can the continuation of that new panels excess just needs to be nipped off even.

Name:	IMG_9524.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	553.8 KB
ID:	113411 That excess trimmed and finished. Now onto weld up the rest of this inner sail panel attachment.

Name:	IMG_9525.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	599.2 KB
ID:	113412 This run all welded up with quarter window junction sealed with a gas weld as found. Plug welding completed and dressing the heads level next.

Name:	IMG_9526.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	113413 Once a few minor rust repairs to this flange are completed it will be ready to reinstall. Initial fitment along the new closing wall's should is good.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                        Last edited by JTR70; 11-06-2022, 10:24 PM.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9527.jpg Views:	0 Size:	409.6 KB ID:	113430 Going to leave the sail panel area for now and move onto the pinch flange along the bottom of the quarter window opening.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9528.jpg Views:	0 Size:	468.3 KB ID:	113431 Excess on the flange trimmed back and in process here of heeling it over the body's edge as it was done originally.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9529.jpg Views:	0 Size:	424.2 KB ID:	113432 Had my first clear look at the sail panel skin post welding with the body up righted. Some mild deformation from the heat but all very localized and minimal; the best that I could have hoped for. Lost a bit of the old lead in the corner but will add that back in during the bodywork phase.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9535.jpg Views:	0 Size:	457.4 KB ID:	113433 Pinch flange just about set here.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9534.jpg Views:	0 Size:	491.1 KB ID:	113434 By this point the entire top run of this new panel was installed and set. Upon further comparison with the other side an overlooked discrepancy began to jump out.
                          Last edited by JTR70; 12-02-2022, 07:31 PM.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9533.jpg Views:	0 Size:	458.2 KB ID:	113436 I began to notice that as the flange moves forward to the B-pillar it runs "down hill" and gets taller. By contrast the new panel runs evenly across.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9539.jpg Views:	0 Size:	442.8 KB ID:	113437 My earlier T1 coupe shows the same feature.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9531.jpg Views:	0 Size:	464.0 KB ID:	113438 Once a garnish rail was added it became clear as to why it tapers wide at the B-pillar.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9532.jpg Views:	0 Size:	408.8 KB ID:	113439 Rail is allowed to seat flush and even with the window opening.

Name:	IMG_9537.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	113440 With no tapered clearance this where the garnish rail is sitting on the new panel.
                            Last edited by JTR70; 12-02-2022, 07:45 PM.
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                            X