No announcement yet.

1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9536.jpg Views:	0 Size:	470.2 KB ID:	113442 Most of this upper run will have to relief cut to allow the garnish rail to come down and seat correctly in the window opening.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9541.jpg Views:	0 Size:	487.3 KB ID:	113443 I went through in my mind that maybe I should have installed the panel with a downward angle to accommodate this but no, that would have thrown all the flanges off as it continues on into the engine compartment and the one against the striker post.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9534.jpg Views:	0 Size:	491.1 KB ID:	113444The upper panel shoulder should have been installed with a tapered clearance angle as it makes its way to the B-pillar. Another example of how little you can trust these new parts and how often they will create situations that will have you pulling your hair out when it comes time to reassemble the car especially if you don't test fit the additional finishing components as it goes. More to come...
    Thanks for looking.

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 12-02-2022, 08:13 PM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Oh Justin how true your words are ! You would think a reprom part should just fit or maybe if the suppliers had a problem just advised a procedure. Some people who do not have your experience would be bald by now. Hope it works out Justin,
      Roy

Comment

• JTR70
        JTR70 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Roy, Will get this final obstacle right in the end; no choice as its 90% installed at this point. Every panel you buy is a "will fit" but this one has been exceptionally challenging to install in one piece as it intersects in so many areas and as the last entry shows it has to "arrive" at just the right angle and height to allow the next layer to seat correctly. It has tried my patience on more than one occasion but its almost there so that spec of light keeps it going. Thanks again Roy!
        Last edited by JTR70; 12-05-2022, 05:10 PM.

• Moved onto other aspects of this new wall installation.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9543.jpg Views:	0 Size:	502.4 KB ID:	113448 Finished up the double row of plug welds along the bottom edge. Still have to come back and level the heads but the intensive leap frogging of set screw to welding for a tight fit was at least completed along this run.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9544.jpg Views:	3 Size:	552.7 KB ID:	113449 Just about ready to hammer this old flap back over top to finish the new lap joint.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9559.jpg Views:	3 Size:	219.2 KB ID:	113450 Moved back over to the B-pillar base gusset. Slathering the cavity with sealer so the cap could be installed for the final time.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9561.jpg Views:	3 Size:	146.6 KB ID:	113451 Cap installed for the last time and plug welding it on here. As you can see aside from the needed modification along the top there was still plenty of other loose ends still to tie to complete this new wall installation. The list was getting shorter though.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
      Last edited by JTR70; 12-06-2022, 02:20 AM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Finishing out the last of the new floor installation details:

Really got bogged down with that new left closing wall installation and needed a break from it before I go after that last upper flange area correction. Switched gears and finished up the last bits of the floor installation.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9562.jpg Views:	3 Size:	192.8 KB ID:	113459 Beginning with the pedal mounting bracket. Drilled for the last two remaining holes and its into final position here.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9563.jpg Views:	3 Size:	293.4 KB ID:	113460 Original reference shows three small seam welds along the edges and its relation with the round embossment relief.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9564.jpg Views:	3 Size:	199.9 KB ID:	113461 Bracket mounted for the final time and ready to weld. Tips will get a seam weld and the center/corner next to that hole has been ground level for a small weld as originally done. BTW: Its ultimate placement in relation to this floors embossment location could not have turned out better. This has been a problem with other installations I've done.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9566.jpg Views:	3 Size:	252.1 KB ID:	113463
        The pedal location is pretty much set. The three floor studs should end up towards the back of the slots in the pedal frame/housing when the master cylinder flange is drawn tight against the bulkhead wall for ease of removal and installation so its up the manufacture of these new panels to get that rounded relief's placement close. They got it right on this one.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9565a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.4 KB ID:	113465
        Welding completed and onto the next deal. As you can see I still have several plug weld heads to dress down could not avoid that unpleasantry much longer...

Thanks for looking!

Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 12-08-2022, 07:02 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Very well done Justin. You have the pacience of Jobe my friend. I keep on saying to myself how lucky I am not to have encounted repairs like that. It will be a great car when finished !
          Roy

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Appreciate it Roy! These repairs can get involved and at times there is no other way around it. Thanks again Sir! Justin

• Lateral seat track mounts. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9569.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.2 KB ID:	113469 The final additions to this new floor installation capping off this major repair.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9570.jpg Views:	3 Size:	222.5 KB ID:	113470 To dial in the lateral pedestal position an old seat base with tracks is needed to find the right width, spacing on for those new mounts.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9571.jpg Views:	3 Size:	220.5 KB ID:	113471 Basic mock up here.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9573.jpg Views:	3 Size:	231.6 KB ID:	113472 The base slid nicely but the real test will be after the pedestal are tacked and the nuts synched down snug.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9574.jpg Views:	3 Size:	213.6 KB ID:	113473 Width is set and now dialing the outer fore and aft adjustment so the tracks end up even and square with one another. Metal strap laid at the front edge of the tracks above confirms the needed final position.

More later...
          Thanks for looking!
          Justin
          Last edited by JTR70; 12-10-2022, 07:15 PM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Forward pedestal prep.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9576.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.4 KB ID:	113475 Width and placement of the lateral track is set but the pedestal is shouldered right up against the wall here. All things being equal I now want the studs centered in the flange holes. This neutral position will allow for more potential adjustment options in the event of a fitment issue when actual seats and tracks for this car actually go in for the final time. The flanges will need some trimming to allow for this final adjustment.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9578.jpg Views:	3 Size:	249.0 KB ID:	113476 Original example shows a much narrower flange for further confirmation. I always thought these pedestals where spot welded onto the floor but no, this example from a late '58 coupe are gas welded on in three runs around the perimeter.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9579.jpg Views:	3 Size:	235.5 KB ID:	113477 Both flanges marked out for trimming to reduced diameters.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9585.jpg Views:	3 Size:	212.1 KB ID:	113478 Trimmed and just about ready to mount on for good. I don't entirely trust these pressed in studs so a quick weld was added between the heads to ensure they never get loose. Can you imagine the frustration when this car is all buttoned up and the need to remove the track only to find one of these studs turning free? Won't be an issue now.
            Mounting the right pedestal in for good next.

Thanks for looking.

Justin
            Last edited by JTR70; 12-12-2022, 07:20 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Right side Lateral pedestal mount install complete.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9583.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.5 KB ID:	113483 Forward, aft and width dialed in leaving just the slight incline to pair up side to side to ensure a smooth operation. The tunnel is of course set so it is the baseline and dictates what adjustments need to be performed to achieve a match.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9584.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.0 KB ID:	113484 Now a match with the tunnel showing the bubble just outside the rear line.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9588.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.0 KB ID:	113485 I thought I had it but after this rear mount was tacked it was too inclined in relation to the tunnel so I had to cut it free and rebend that outer flange a few MM's lower so it would stand taller and at level. Above pic shows how much it was short.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9587.jpg Views:	0 Size:	235.5 KB ID:	113486 Welded up with a smooth seat base operation with mounts synched down tight; All set on this side. Forward pedestal seam welded along its edge as found on my original reference floor.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9590.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.1 KB ID:	113487 Repeat the process on the left side.

Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Last edited by JTR70; 12-16-2022, 04:56 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Floor repairs officially completed.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9593.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.5 KB ID:	113490 Left pedestals installed. No other attachments or things to add in here.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9592.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.5 KB ID:	113489 All cockpit metal work now fully completed..
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9623.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.3 KB ID:	113491 Now that I was done topside I decided now was time to bite the bullet and finish off the numerous remaining plug-weld heads along the tunnels flange. By this photo I was just under 100 heads left to dress along the left side flange run. As tedious as this all was it was a far more pleasant experience dressing these down smooth out here rather than top side with the tunnel in my way. Just the things you pick up as you go.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9626.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.5 KB ID:	113492 A few sessions later I had all the heads leveled and followed up with my panel spotter for the finishing detail.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9627.jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.1 KB ID:	113493 All metal work and finishing detail on this side of the floor now completed as well. Onto the next deal.

Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Last edited by JTR70; 12-17-2022, 11:25 PM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Dear Justin, I drop in from time to time and even now, am just amazed by how complex these cars are … to do right. I’d have thought you’d have German restoration elves flying over from Stuttgart to learn “exactly how” from 356 Zen Master J. Rios. I admire so much, including the gas welding details.

Kind regards from Connecticut,
                  John

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello John, Thank you for continuing to make some time to follow this saga and for the kind words! Actually, I am the one following and trying to replicate as best as I can what the "German Elves" did all those years ago. Wishing you and your family the very best in the coming new year and thank you again! Justin

• Well done Justin, so many things to do and you can see how the hours just slip away after looking at all the plug welding and final preparation. Have a good Christmas break you deserve it !
                  Roy

Comment

• JR
                    JR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh Justin,
                    I am so very glad mine is done, but thats what the Roadster looked like at the beginning.
                    Have a great Christmas and thanks for the e-mail!

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Roy, Thanks again and for the appreciation for time it takes to execute these repairs. I'm enjoying my break for sure and I hope you're having a pleasant holiday season as well.

Thanks Dick! Wishing you the same!

• At My dentist.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	roadr.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	113500 Click image for larger version

Name:	roadr1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	113499
                  He never disappoints with his inflatables!​
                  Last edited by JTR70; 12-26-2022, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your car looks Great Dick, as it always does. That has to be one of the few dentist offices in the country that kids might not mind visiting as much.

• Justin

when you use your panel spotter to overset the spot welds, are you using a single point ground, or the two tip method. I have used both with not problem, but my DAD says single point ground has the weld contacts too far apart to get enough heat. I disagree electrically, but he has been doing it longer.

Oh by the way, that the best floor install I have ever seen.
                  Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

• Hey John, I am using a single point ground; a contact tip in each hand. Based on experience I'd have to agree with you, the distance doesn't seem to make a difference as that varies constantly as I go. What does make a difference is the "dwell" time and some times even that yields inconsistent results. Unless your spot welder is an industrial unit I wouldn't trust any of them! As you know well, the factory spots are tough and very resilient; even between two very rusty panels as they won't give up easily. While annoying during removal, they are still doing their job very well after all these years so a blessing at the same time. All the aftermarket spot welds I've run across give up very easily. RD's and Trevor's spot welds on their new panels are no comparison to the factory spots. All I've had to do is drill the center of the weld (leaving some shoulder of it) and with a quick hit of my hammer and chisel it will "click" apart with very little resistance. By contrast if you miss any bit of the original spot weld you'll usually end up tearing the metal in and around the remains of the spot as you try repeatedly to get it to break apart. The closest I've been able to replicate the bond of a factory Spot weld is with a MIG'd plug weld. Those are just as unpleasant and difficult to remove as a factory weld so I know the bond is as close as I can replicate. This why my panel spotter is strictly for visual effect and final presentation.
                    Thanks for saying so John, I appreciate that!!

Slight modification to the front beam adjusters:

Owner wants the ability to lower the front of the car a little more than the stock configuration will allow.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9567.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.5 KB ID:	113507 The original adjusters do have the potential of allowing a bit more upward rotation. By elongating the upper end of the adjuster hole in the tube the collar/block could be rotated and bottomed out against the adjuster bung for a maximum lowered stance. Anything further than this would require major cutting and reconfiguration of the adjusters.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9568.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.8 KB ID:	113508 To have any shot of getting tools on this grub bolt and locking nut in that new maxed out position in photo one this portion of the adjuster gusset will have to be removed.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9594.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.5 KB ID:	113509 Removing no more than I have to.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9595.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.1 KB ID:	113510 Lower portion of the gusset cut now giving a clear shot at the eventual bolt in the new maxed out position. As you can see the block is resting against the bung here so we'll only be opening up the slotted hole in the tube by just under the bolts shouldered width. Doesn't seem like much but once that movement is translated through the end of the control arms it should yield an additional 1-2 inches of lowered ride height over stock.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9596.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.8 KB ID:	113511 Opening up the top of this gusset for access next. Laying out my cut lines.

More on this next.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                    Last edited by JTR70; 12-29-2022, 12:59 AM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9597.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.8 KB ID:	113513 Upper portion of the gusset now opened as needed for tool access in maxed out position.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9599.jpg Views:	3 Size:	194.5 KB ID:	113514 Gusset modification complete and now onto elongating the upper portion of the slotted holes in the tubes.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9598.jpg Views:	3 Size:	171.3 KB ID:	113515 A little blurry but the etched cut line highlights how much is going to be removed.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9604.jpg Views:	3 Size:	178.2 KB ID:	113516 Taped guide lines to make sure I keep the shoulders true.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9605.jpg Views:	3 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	113517 Pilot holes drilled at the center of what needs to go. Tapered reamer bit was next to bring this initial hole up to final size.
                      Last edited by JTR70; 12-29-2022, 08:35 PM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                      X