356 T-1 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon,

Happy Holidays to you also! Beautiful picture.

John
    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Thanks Gordon! Great photo of you guys with the car! The stance and wheels are perfect it really turned out beautiful! Merry Christmas!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Excellent pic Gordon.
        Mark Erbesfield
        57 356A
        65 911
        68 912
        73 911S
        66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
        79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Gordon, great pictures! I am doing a T-1 with 5607 and gray. If you could tell me please what brand of paint through which you found Aquamarine metallic? I am having trouble with most vendors "getting it right" and while I spoke with John Willhoit about his sample and how close it is to my original sample and the car I am ready now to paint, he forgets which brand he used for his sample! I'll keep 'networking' until I get it right. I am at 7 samples from three brands now, and counting......

Thanks,
          -Bruce Baker

Comment

• Bruce, I used PPG two stage and was able to find a good original sample on the door
            which I buffed out and matched on the paint store computer.
            It came up with a GM color that was close and the computer adjusted from there.
            Hope this helps, Gordon

Last photo is of the original paint and spray card with new color.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0707.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	54181

Name:	IMG_0706.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	54182

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	54183

Comment

• Gordon,

in any case I missed it, please appologize, but can you give me details on the tire sizes you used in front and back? Whats offset (and size) do have those rear wheels?

Thanks in advance!

Tom - Onassis Porsches

tom@onassisporsches.com

Comment

• Gordon, thank you very much! PPG was one vendor not tried. We tried various DuPont color lines, Pro-Spray (a Brit-based company that has old Porsche formulas in single-stage but in acrylic-, not poly-urethane) and a new-to-me company, DeBeer (a Valspar subsidiary).
                The car is a '57 but the paperwork from the Factory shows it was painted the '56 Aquamarine metallic.

Counter to the prevalent flow now of 356s, it was brought FROM Europe to the US a few years ago, painted it's original 5607 over a prior red paint done even earlier after a wreck. (We can see this when stripped, of course.)

An interesting past but with the owner now of over 20 years, in Europe and the US, focused on how it was when new.

While we all recognize that if we were to go to a 356 gathering all the 5607 cars would be a slightly different color just as the Ruby red cars would be, etc, the Willhoit sample of 5607 is what the owner wants...and just maybe PPG can supply that.

Thanks again,
                -Bruce

Comment

• Gordon,

I was going through your build again and was admiring your handwork sewing the leather seats. Can you provide the manufacturer of that heavy duty sewing machine? Are you interested in parting with it? With your skills you could go into business making seats.

John
                  jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• John
                    It is an Adler 267 Heavy Duty leather machine. It was new machine when I bought it 25 or so years ago, it was pricey but well worth it. Its like
                    any good tool,
                    buy it once and it will last forever.
                    Looking at your metal skills you should not have any problems with
                    the interior.
                    Thank you Gordon

Comment

• Tom
                      145's in the front and 165's in the rear with 5 1/2 rims
                      and I can not remember the offset.
                      The 165's were too large for the front, ran too close to the wheel well.
                      Gordon

Comment

• I added an auxiliary fuel pump to aid starting after long periods of sitting and
                        I was pleased with the results.
                        I run the electric pump with a mini starter button and it takes only a few seconds
                        to fill the float chambers. This is nothing new but I thought I would post it anyway.
                        Gordon

Name:	IMG_0709.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	54806

Name:	IMG_0710.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	54807

Comment

• Gordon,

I plan to do the same. Can you post the specs on the pump you used?

Thanks.

John
                          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Smart upgrade Gordon, thanks for sharing. The car's bodywork looks beautiful BTW. I hope those wheels above it are securely attached the wall.
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• John,
                              The brand is an Airtex E8902 and it is 6 volt with 2 1/2 to a 4 lb.
                              range. Comes with a pre filter ans 5/16 hose fittings.
                              Google it on the net for the best price.
                              The instructions want the discharge elevated from the suction end
                              to keep air from getting trapped. It runs nice and quiet.

Justin,
                              I had the same thought the other day and put a safety strap on the wheels. Gordon

Comment

• Gordon,

finally got around to reading through your entire build. Well done Sir. Mostly, thank you for your advice about not being afraid to have a go and then re-do if you don't like it. I would prefer to learn to do things by trial and error, rather then paying someone to do it and never learning that skill.

Great job, great car, hope you enjoy it, it's one of the nicest I have seen.

Jonesy

Comment

Working...
                                X