No announcement yet.

Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The photo of the car is 550-05, but it is difficult to put a date on it. It is in the same configuration of when it was at the factory with side windows etc and it still has the Porsche plates, so it would be still owned by Porsche. It is also possible this photo was taken in Europe or when it first arrived in South America.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot2015-06-23at5.39.46pm.png
Views:	30
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	69621
    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Yep, glad we agree it is 05. Dating is tough but it is in SA unless you are now raising an issue that is difficult to sustain.

In any event, Vietta's posting of the VW letter certainly takes us to the car in S.A. through June (past April as Alan notes). So---races through not only April but June in Europe clearly did not include 05.

We're now left with the September stuff.

Again, Andrew, please tell us which 550 proto was in S.A. during that time if not 05. It cannot be 01, 02 ,03 or 04. And it cannot be 06 or 07 or 08 (as these cars are accounted for and 08 was the Mille Miglia car.

Even the September races now tie into Annie B.'s efforts as to 07 and her mother bringing in the car for repair.

Please suggest one alternative even to the March time frame give 05 was definately in S.A.

What possible car could have been in S.A. if not 05.

I have asked many many times---just make a suggestion as to which it could have been.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• The questions go both ways Steve - if 550-07 was in Germany with a hinged rear on 25th March 1954, which car with the fixed rear was in France at the same time?

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=31022
          The questions go both ways Steve - if 550-07 was in Germany with a hinged rear on 25th March 1954, which car with the fixed rear was in France at the same time?
          Andrew,

Answering a question with another question is not covered by your accent : ) Please offer some fair input - it's all very good towards next steps.

Michael Doyle

Comment

• If I had all the answers, you would be first to know in my Ocker accent

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=31026
              If I had all the answers, you would be first to know in my Ocker accent
              That response is known as side stepping the question...not an answered or forward next step.

Michael Doyle

Comment

• The only stumbling block for me is 550-07 being reconfigured to a body with a fixed rear. If I can find any kind of proof (and yes, I am talking to many people who have a lot of knowledge in this area), I am happy to agree that 550-05 remained in South America.

It is physically not possible for this to happen in the time between documented sightings of the prototype in Europe as both a hinged rear and a fixed rear.

Comment

• Originally posted by vhelmle" post=31015
                  Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to post the photo that we believe is Fasanello in Brazil seated in 550-05.

Vietta
                  Is it me or does this car appear to have an antenna fitted? Is this antenna present in any of the other pictures?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=31020
                    The photo of the car is 550-05, but it is difficult to put a date on it. It is in the same configuration of when it was at the factory with side windows etc and it still has the Porsche plates, so it would be still owned by Porsche. It is also possible this photo was taken in Europe or when it first arrived in South America.

The discussions have suggested/agreed that this 550 photo and the 550 photo with Fasanello seated are both 550-05. Is that correct?

Michael Doyle
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Yes and this is 550-05 at the Tour de France on 12 September 1954 - same windows, same configuration... even the same knock off wheels!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaulieubousquet-tourdefrancelow.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	69640

Comment

• Different number plate, antenna and regular wheels on the Fasanello car. It also appears as tough the rear lights are different

Comment

• Steve and Vietta,
                          With all due respect I don't see where the may 31 letter would indicate that the Spyder is necessarily still in South America, it seems to indicate that although the factory sent the ownership papers to S.A. to be delivered upon receipt of payment, that payment was not made by the buyer (Fasanello). If anything this letter seems to lend more credence to the possibility that Stuck had the car returned to Europe. I say this because if the S.A. buyer had paid and had possession of the Spyder it would have been almost for sure been in S.A., but since he had not paid I would think that Stuck would have been very concerned that his newly repaired car would have just been sitting, losing value. Remember that at that time competition cars were perishable commodities that rapidly lost value as new competition models came out.

Just as you have proven by the process of elimination that 05 was the car raced in S. A. in January of '54, it seems that there is a need to address the situation that Andrew brings up as to whether there were two separate cars racing in Europe in late spring and summer of '54 and, if so, which cars they could possibly be. I would like to see which races Andrew thinks were run by each car and when they were run and why he feels they were different cars. If we can establish that, then by a similar process of elimination perhaps it can be established which cars they were.

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to post a comment about the ambiguity in the correspondence between Kern (Porsche), Stuck and the Brazilian VW business. Thank you to Mr. Hall for your efforts to clarify this issue. We agree that the various letters are quite ambiguous. However, in the letter we posted yesterday evening, Sr. Tress (owner of Tressacima VW dealership in Brazil)sent a telegram to Kern (in Germany)who quotes the telegram which says, "Lawful imports until now, not yet receive -stop. Is in progress - stop. Soon - stop. Final decision Porsche remains until payment in our care-..Tressacima". We believe this means the car was in Brazil in storage at Sr. Tress's warehouse.

Best regards, Vietta

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to post a few notes gleaned from research about 550-05 in Brazil:

• Fasanello is reputed to have driven around Rio de Janeiro with a jaguaratirica (a small wild cat)in the car with him.
                              • This means that Fasanello got his hands on the car sometime after the January 1954 races and we believe after the import papers were resolved.
                              • However, to complicate matters, Heins is reputed to have bought the car from Hans Stuck. Other Brazilian racing fans believe Heins actually raced a 356 for Fasanello, and then bought 550-05 from Fasanello.

Vietta

Comment

• Vietta,
                                It sounds like there may be a letter you have not posted yet. The May 31 letter you posted last evening does not seem to say anything like the quote you have just given. It refers to a telegram they (Porsche) are sending to Tress requesting information if/when the sale is completed, but I don't see anywhere in that letter where they quote a telegram from Tress. What am I missing?

Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X