Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacques,

Thanks---we'll check and advise. Still, the comment is appreciated.

I expect that tomorrow or the next day, we'll publish the next errata version. It does make me happy that, so far, in the aggregate given the fact there are so many race and other data points.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

We have a new Errata sheet. It does not include items that have come to our attention in the last few hours.

Page 1

Click image for larger version

Name:	Errata003-20150127_Page_1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	55665

Page 2

Name:	Errata003-20150127_Page_2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	55666

Comment

• Hi Steve,

what entries do you have for Dave Wolin in his 550, RSK and RS61? There seems to be a few missing...
        Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• What is missing?

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• He raced 550-0081 at Marlboro around 1961 - can't find a listing (haven't done a full search yet though)

Name:	daveWolin.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	55675

Comment

• Hi Steve/Vietta,

On P586 @ Paramount, you have McAfee driving 550A-0116. From the photo, it looks like a 550RS

Name:	WM_Paramount_Ranch-1957-06-16a-057.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	55682

Comment

• I should stop - it is getting late downunder...

Paul Sagan had 2 Porsches 550-0073 and also a 550A (not sure the number, but his daughter has sent me photos over the years)

You currently have him listed (plus drivers like Denise McCluggage) only racing 550-0073. Here are some photos of the 550A

Name:	1958.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	55684

Name:	old775.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	55685

Name:	old986.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	55686

Comment

• Hi Steve
                  do the factory race sheets document the switching of cars or does this information reside in the race organizer and is inferred by photos that have different license nos that do not correspond to the start no.?
                  j

Comment

• Hi Steve
                    a few more that i picked up on
                    p148 the english version shows 692/3A it should be 692/3 for the main journal size change from 55 to 60 the German is correct.
                    p152 the roller rods did not have pressed in races yes the aftermarket version uses that method.
                    p154 i still know that the 692/3 3a rods were serrated prior to the 587
                    p171 P121 is not an adjustment tool but a removal tool
                    p172 when they went from the dished intake valve to the flat intake valve they were sodium filled.
                    p177 the tensions given are for the nose not the seat
                    p185 change to valve cap not cover.
                    p115 not a 692/3A see Excellence 1st edition p200-201 description is wrong this is a 3A motor fitted to an GTL

Comment

• Jacques, as to the race lists I have---they are post race results with a variety of information including cars and pilots. Please, if you would, provide some substantive information to the contrary as to the results we show. Just saying some one else believes differently is not enough.

Steve Heinrichs

ps--I'll check as to your motor comments.

Comment

• Hi Steve
                        the motor stuff is easy for me since i have been working on them off and on since the mid 70s. The race results to me are not important as to which chassis finished where since the drivers were the big factor and the model of car and state of preparation not the chassis no was the crucial factor.
                        1964 photo p359 Olczyk shows S-UE-670(904-101) as entry 159 for 64TDF
                        as for the 1964 Targa i believe Jurgen had better info than anyone for the 904-006 instead of 904-005 and it was a hot topic at the time of the book publishing since it was probably one of Porsche's most significant victories. I could care less but i would not want it to reflect badly on your book. i can not investigate this for you i am just giving you a heads up there may be further investigation warranted.
                        j

Comment

• Steve:
                          I don't know the chassis number of Paul Sagan's 550A, but I do know that he sold it to Bill Wonder, who painted deep maroon, raced it for at least one season, then sold it to Herb Wetanson. This may help in tracking it down.
                          Gerry McCarthy

Comment

• Gerry,

Thanks so very much!!! Vietta and I just discussed Andrew's comments from last evening and are working on those. I really appreciate the help here.

Jacques, we're working on the motor comments as well, of course...and looking at your race comments also.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hi Steve and Vietta,

You have Herb Swan listed as driving 550A-0134. He drove Trotter's red RS 550 spyder - 550-0024

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X