No announcement yet.

Brief Book update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So not at easter 2015 but probably at christmas 2014Steve?
    www.breuer.shop

Comment

Heh, heh----

Looks not far from the truth---maybe somewhat sooner. Will be great Christmas gifts.

"Pre-Orders" are very stong. That's good.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

But how can we manage that I get my book signed by you?
        How about you're going to visit my workshop at your next trip to Germany?
        www.breuer.shop

Comment

Well...

The Special Editions are signed and should be available at Museum in December.

Or----likely I'm there in February.Would be greatto see Workshop!!

Or---next LA Literature Meet.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

You're always welcome Steve!
            www.breuer.shop

Comment

Yesterday, the book was presentedby Rolf Sprenger in Stuttgart to an automobile club. Over 100 people attended. Rolf made a 45 minute presentation and had two prototype books for review. The book will be available at the Museum about 15 October and further distribution then follow.

There is a Frankfurt book show on 8 October and the Special Edition of the book will be presented there.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Hi Steve.

I made a post over on Rennlist about a car my father had many years ago.

It was a 1953 Coupe that still had a split windscreen,.. and had twin grills, and the engine had shaft driven overhead cams, Liquid sodium valves, chrome lined cylinders and a Hirth crank. One of 6 made.

I have never seen so much as a picture of such a car except for the pic of my fathers.

One of the fellas over on Renn said I should mention this to you, and that you were doing a book,.. and that you might know more.

Here's a link.
                http://rennlist.com/forums/356-forum/835992-1953-carrera-existance-dad-s-old-car.html

Regards, Stuart

Comment

Hey Stuart, Thank you for joining us here and Welcome! I just read your post on Rennlist and wow does that sound like an amazing and Special car!
                  I'm sure Steve Heinrichs will be able to tell you something about it. Michael Doyle, another 4-cam historian may also have something to add. You said you have a photo of it; is it digitized so we can see what it looked like? Will be following this with interest! Welcome once again!
                  Justin

Byron, thank you for putting out the good word!
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Stuart I posted on the registry for you

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37544

Good luck in your search

Comment

I think there is a photo in a photo album,.. and I know there is a slide in a slide carousel. My dad didn't take a lot of pictures of his cars and motorcycles.

However, one of my uncles (who owned a '52 coupe in the late 1950's) took a lot more, and he says he has pictures. He is sending me some. Hopefully there are a few of this car in there.

I will have my mother search for the picture and send it to me.

Comment

Hi Stuart,

I'm sorry to be negative as to what is a fascinating story. It is entirely possible that some time after the car was initially sold, that someone put in a 4-cam motor.

I can tell you, however, that no 1953 production cars had 4-cam motors. I say this having reviewed all the 1953 model year (August 1952--August 1953) production records. Also, there are no special six similar 1953 cars.

The 4-cam motor was first available in the spring of 1953 but at that time they went into 550 prototypes. All the prototype 547 motors as well as all the 900xx motors are specifically accounted for as are all of the cars---purpose built and production.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Thanks Steve

"Supposedly" these were not production cars.

The way the story went was that 6 different Porsche masters each were tasked with building a single car in it's entirety,... each doing their own engine and chassis the way they wanted. No 2 of the 6 cars were alike. The seats were also unique to this car,.. and nothing like the other '52 - '58 Porsches that my dad's friend's and brothers had.

The seats had a material that resembles very large corduroy. Like no other seat fabric they had ever seen before or since. When my dad eventually had them re-upholstered,.. they couldn't find matching fabric. Even the very best Cadillac broadcloth wasn't close.

The springs inside the seats weren't normal either,. but rather hundreds of springs locked together somehow. The upholsterers couldn't figure out how they wouldn't have squeaked.

My sister is driving up from Virginia next week. I'll ask her to dig up the pictures.

As I mentioned in the post on Renn,.. the shop that repaired it after the crash was in communication with the man at Porsche in Germany that built the car originally, and that guy was able to give them the specs to rebuild the engine. He apparently kept detailed notes on every aspect of the car.

Comment

Stuart,

The book will also list each individual, and separately numbered "spare". None of those spares--and there are not very many during the relevant period--indicate any possibility of this.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Stuart,

Perhaps the Hirth roller bearing crankshaft for the motor in your father's 1953 car was the pushrod version type. These 1500 Super motors were built to higher hp levels and were quite fast in their day. And I'm sure it would have drawn a lot of attention as well during its rebuild in the shop.

As Steve notes, back during this time period, the 4-cam 547 motor was first fit to the 550 Spyder and not the 356 model.

Hope to see the pictures when you post them.

Michael Doyle

Comment

The legend and build details surrounding this car sound fascinating. A real let down however that the historical records that Steve has seen does not support it. So Stuart, you were told that this car was part of a factory "works" type special wish build-off between six Porsche factory master mechanics at the time? Steve, is there any record of such an event happing any time at Porsche? A picture is worth a thousand words as they Stuart; Please share any 356 related photo you can get your hands on. Love to see them! Your Uncle's car too sounds like another interesting one! Thanks guys!
                                Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X