No announcement yet.

~Back from the dead outlaw build~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that is some job to get right. So much modification. The experience though must make some jobs you thought were difficult now possibly so much easier to master???

Very interesting thread.

Roy

Comment

Every time I look at this I am amazed. Awesome work & really cool.
      Mic
      1959A coupe

Comment

Frank, I took some detailed shots of that rear corner for you. Hope these help...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera1703.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	35048

Name:	carrera1704.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	35049
        The three layers I described before.

Name:	carrera1705.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	35050
        Reinforcment brackets/gussets to triangulate this corner.

Name:	carrera1706.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	35051
        you can see here that the channel is attached to the top of the threshold runner.
        Justin Rio

Comment

Appreciate the comments guys and thanks Justin for taking time to take and explain the pictures for me.

Not much done this weekend but still try to get a little done when I have a chance.

1-20-2014
          I got the dash cut out of the Ghia front half.

Name:	1-20-2014045.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	35545

I also started welding up the door hinge post. It just setting there, I have a few more things to before I can get them welded in place.

Name:	1-20-2014048.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	35546

Not sure how I want to weld up the dash yet. Debating on welding like the Ghia directly to the trunk area or like Porsche did with the space and then the hinge panel.

Name:	1-20-2014046.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	35547

Comment

My pleasure Frank, I'll help any way that I can. Glad to see more progress being made. Looks like you're going to be hanging some doors really soon. A question: will you be welding this car as a uni-body or will the pan still be removable? Keep at it! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

I'm going to make it removable so if I build a better chassis or if anything happens to the current pan I can mount it to another.

Comment

Just spent a bunch of money on front and rear glass!

Hopefully down the road I can find decent priced door and quarter glass.

Haven't got much done lately, this cold weather is putting damper on my progress. Hate getting all bundled up just to work on my car.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Frank. Welcome to the world of 356. I've got a good pair of rear quarter window frames if you need. Hope it warms up soon out your way.
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

I really like this project alot. For what it's worth, The lowlight Ghia dash with preA gauges would look GREAT. Smooth the rest out like a Speedster/550 for a terrific hybrid "outlaw" look. Can anyone here with photoshop skills make a rendering? Keep up the good work!
                    Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

I had another look at the Ghia dash and I think that would be a really cool and unique custom dash Jack; great idea! Repro-pre-A gauges from North Hollywood Speedo and maybe a few other pre-A accent pieces. What do you think Frank?
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Hey Frank, what's happening with your project? Is the garage warm enough to work in yet?
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Still here! LOL... you saw me lurking on here from time to time.

My project is in the same state as the last update picture I posted months ago. It's as the saying goes "life gets in the way" situation that has it on hold for the time being. A long story short, I have been finishing my basement since my parents will be staying with me for a little while.
                          The good news is that I just purchased an English wheel the other day so I can make the front end when I do get back to working on it. I went to a VW show yesterday and a few friends were asking about the 356 and they can't wait to see it. In turn that is getting the drive in me to get out in the garage.
                          And though I don't need any more projects I got a good deal on a 1946 Ford coupe that I plan on cleaning up and selling.
                          Once I get back to the Porsche I'll be sure to get the progress pictures posted for everyone that was interested in my build.

Comment

I completely understand about that Frank. Just know there are a bunch of us here as well who are pulling for you and hoping to see a re-animated hot-rod one day! Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Well I thought I was going to get back on the Outlaw build but have been thrown a curve ball...
                              I started to check where I would have to take the car when I finish to get it on the road and didn't get the answers I wanted to hear. Told them about the project and what I am building. Said I had the title for the Ghia which I will be building the body on. I knew I need receipts for everything I bought and a bill of sale for other parts. But then the person said I needed a vin number for the roof/rear clip. I tried to explain that the car was being turned into a speedster and the vin is still being used. They said the vin would be just to see if it wasn't from a stolen car and the I would be issued a new number.
                              Is there any one on here that used a coupe for parts and still have title for it?
                              I tried calling Ric at Rustytubs but haven't received a call back.
                              Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

What state are you in? It sounds like the state of confusion. Uncleared Salvage title on the Ghia? Have you filed any paper work, or paid any registration fees? How long have you had the Ghia?
                                Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Working...
                                X