No announcement yet.

~Back from the dead outlaw build~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wheelbase for a VW is 94.5 in. (2,400mm) and for a 356 is 82.7 (2,100mm)
    I took out the 300mm just behind the emergency brake. I thought the same thing about it looking so much shorter.

To lower the car I'm going to weld adjusters in the beam and use dropped spindles. For the rear I will modify the spring plates instead of moving the splines.

Comment

I'll wait until this weekend to finish welding the floor pans and misc. other things. Tonight I started to cut the quarter panels, package tray off of the Ghia rear section, this shows basically what I will be using for the inner back half...

11-11-13
      Click image for larger version

Name:	rearsection3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	29994

Comment

oh yes, this is were the conversion bridge from Ghia to 356 is going to get interesting; what to keep and what to lose. My initial question concerns the wheel tubs; in my mind if you were to use them at all it would only be the inner halves? Maybe you'll do a 356 style inner closing wall and lose the tubs all together? A body mock-up is shortly to follow I'm sure. This is going to be fun to watch! Keep the pics and progress coming Frank!! Justin

BTW: will you be Pie-cutting the rear quarters on your 356 skin for wider wheels for a stock but more aggressive look?
        Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Justin, I haven't taken any measurements yet of the width of the tubs. My thoughts are to leave them if I can to help keep rocks from dinging up the quarters and dirt from getting trapped anywhere.
          I went back and checked out the TURBO coupe thread to see the pictures of the pie cut quarters. If my tire combo doesn't fit well I may think about that modification.

11-17-2013

Finished welding the pan halves in.

Name:	11-17-2013013.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	30595

Narrowed my beam 1 1/2in. on each side. I forgot to take a pictures of the sleeves I welded in to make it strong to support the weight. All I have to do now is weld in the adjusters and cut down my torsion leaves. Didn't get to the modify the rear spring plates, maybe next weekend.

Name:	11-17-2013021.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	30596

Name:	11-17-2013030.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	30597

Thanks for looking!

Comment

Hey Frank, How much have you narrowed the beam? Will you be adding any HD type off-road torsion adjusters?
            The pie-cutting modification is a really subtle and slick contour trick. Most people including a lot of 356 guys won't even be aware that its been done. Its a must if you want to run rims wider than 7 inches. My coupster project will definitely have it done.

Name:	3561699.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	30610
            This 51 coupe had its fenders widened this way. Its running 5.5 on the back and would be impossible to fit such a wide tire here without this little trick.

Name:	3561700.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	30611
            It doesn't radically change the feel of the car but does improve it I think...
            Keep up the great work! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	deans58019.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	30829
              Hey Frank,
              Here's clear shot of the cuts for anyone else who is following this. As you know these cars begin to taper away at the B-pillar. This cut just allows you to swing the quarter panels outward at the rear door jamb very gracefully and is almost undetectable from stock. Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

This is very interesting, I like it. Justin, thanks for posting the pic of the widened rear. I had trouble visualizing "pie cut". Now it makes perfect sense.
                Mic
                1959A coupe

Comment

No doubt about it Frank, thats one hell of a job you are doing there. Not so many could ever attempt that level of work.

Justin thanks for the pics of the 51 that car looks fantastic who owns it? The mods to widen I didn't notice and like Mic could not get my head around it till you posted the next photo. You are correct it looks stock. Its always the back end of the rear fender opening thats the sticking point. That modification is really good.

Thanks

Roy

Comment

Hey Mic,

Yes, its pretty straight forward modification that has been around since at least the 1970's.

Roy, the car belongs to a guy here in town that commissioned my friend to build him the car. Its a slick change that gets around the requirement of a flared fender to run a wider wheel. Like I said it would have been impossible to fit a 5.5 inch wheel on the back of a Pre-A without this change. Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Hey Justin, I narrowed the beam 3" still debating on going 4" though. I will work on the rear suspension to give me some time to decide. Before I weld in the adjusters I want to elongate the opening. The units I have were not made to my liking.

Name:	11-24-2013033.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	31027

11-23-2013

Only made it out to the garage one day this weekend. It is starting to get cold and I haven't dug out my heaters yet.
                      Made some plates for the rear suspension. These bolt on the spring plates and allow you to lower the car 3" without messing with the splines. I will see during mock up if this lowers it too much.

Name:	11-24-2013022.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	31028

Name:	11-24-2013029.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	31029

Comment

Originally posted by roy mawbey" post=13737
                        No doubt about it Frank, thats one hell of a job you are doing there. Not so many could ever attempt that level of work.
                        Roy
                        Hey Roy,
                        Building something from nothing is the fun part for me.

...and the only ones I can afford to start with, lol

Comment

Justin,
                          Here is a picture of the 356 that KCW built awhile ago. I may get away without having to pie-cut the quarters... these are the same rims I will be using on my car. Looks like they will work, just have to pay attention to tires sizes so they don't rub. As I said earlier about narrowing my beam more, this car has been narrowed 4 inches.

Name:	Picture050_001.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	31032

Comment

If that is the wheel and tire combo you're going with then you shouldn't have any clearance issues Frank. Interesting drop-flanges for the spring plates, I have never seen them before. Looking good! Keep working on it so you'll stay warm out there! Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

11-28-2013
                              I put the axels and tubes back on the trans and installed it in the chassis for mock-up.

11-29-2013
                              Welded the adjusters into the beam, cut and dimpled the torsion leaves and installed the trailing arms/hub back on.

Ready to cut out the section for the adjuster. I use a hose clamp for a nice straight line to follow while cutting the tube.

Name:	11-29-2013032.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	31419

Name:	11-29-2013034.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	31421

Name:	11-29-2013040.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	31420

Name:	11-29-2013043.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	31422

Comment

11-29-2013

Chassis is a roller now.
                                Next I will install the motor and then start mocking up the body sections.

Name:	11-29-2013050.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	31424

Comment

Working...
                                X