No announcement yet.

Disc Brake conversion kits for 356

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tied a cloverleaf hitch around the box. lifted it with my 50# fish scale, and it blew the end out of the scale. My neighbor's bathroom scale reads 66#.

You're far to modest, Justin. I've seen the projects challenged and accomplished by you and others on this board. Very impressive! I have virtually no 356 support in this neck of the woods, so I rely on boards like yours for info on techniques, specs, and products to get my jobs done. When I rebuilt my engine about 5 yrs ago, I searched for months to find a machine shop operator who was willing to listen and learn. None had any experience. I got lucky .... and learned a few things from him, as well.

I'd just like to express my appreciation for people like you, Justin, who are willing to invest the time and effort to design, build, and manage precious resources like this. Without these boards, I'd be spending a lot more time and money experimenting .... and often losing.

And, thanks to Jack for the lead on brake drum relining. $295.00 per side may cause me to rethink this whole rear disc brake ordeal.

Dave
    When in doubt .... gas it!

Comment

Thanks for that post Ashley! Like a broken clock I'm right twice a day.

Sergio, Welcome aboard! Were you asking who the manufacture was for David's front disc brake system?

David, thanks once again! From my perspective its hard to look at it any other way. All my small victories along this journey with my projects have been so hard fought with mistake after mistake being made; All equaling a lot of "redo" work! If my (or others) posts can help keep you from making similar mistakes then its well worth the time I personally have spent keeping it updated. Thankfully, however I am not alone, there are several very talented guys who generously share their experiences! This site would be nothing without all who contribute here! My thanks to you David for also becoming part of it!

Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Al asked me to add his comment to this disc-brake discussion. Thanks Al!
        Justin
        Quote from Al Zim:
        The Porsche factory had better than good success with drum brakes. The
        advantages were less unsprung weight in the drum system since it was
        aluminum and lighter wheels (because of a larger center opening) Disc brakes
        were used because the 911/912 cars were going to have them and they were
        less prone to fade. The solid disc brakes did not overcome fade so in 1967
        with the advent of the 911S and also the sportomatic transmission the
        factory introduced vented brake rotors. As the horsepower of the engine
        increased the rotors got larger and wider and the calipers received larger
        brake pads.
        Disc brakes still enjoyed a strong following since most people thought discs
        were better than drums. The other factors leading to disc brakes was the
        cost. Brake drums were expensive, brake shoes were not being relined and
        wheel cylinders were only produced by ATE.
        It is a debatable point weather stopping your car is more important than
        steering it either way these are two necessities that cannot be overlooked.
        It has been prudent to change your tires and restore your brake system every
        10 years. German brake products were deteriorating at this point in time.
        What you are faced with is a complete restoration of you brake system. New
        wheel seals front and rear, new wheel bearings on the front and a careful
        check of the rear wheel bearings, new brake rubber hoses, replacing metal
        brake lines that are rusty, replace all the wheel cylinders, replace the
        master cylinder (many individuals like to two stage master cylinders for
        safety) Check the brake drums for cracks in the steel liner DO NOT TURN THE
        DRUMS, reline the brake shoes, and clean the backing plates. This service
        usually runs between 1500 to 2,000 dollars. While you are there you should
        have the king and link pins checked and adjusted if they need to be redone
        it usually runs in the 800 dollar range including checking the trailing arms
        on the front to make sure they are within tolerance. Nobody ever checked
        them after an accident and now very few shops have the tools check them now.
        Find a shop that has experience with 356 cars, you cannot afford the
        consequences of one that does not. You have been fortunate that your car has
        survived 50+ years. Like and old person it needs to find the fountain of
        youth. You are welcome to give me a call regarding my suggestions.
        Copyrighted 2014 all rights reserved al zim
        Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,

Thanks for forwarding this information.

John
          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

My pleasure John!

I've been meaning to share this really trick, custom, one-off street-rod Annular disc brake design I found for the old wide-five Chevy bolt pattern. Certainly not for 356 but very 356-like and could certainly get the juices flowing for a custom 356 application.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	24407_1108850458787_8371825_n.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	42381

Name:	24407_1108859979025_8352113_n.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	42382
            Impressive CAD design.

Name:	24407_1108857898973_3125969_n.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	42383
            Into reality..

Name:	24407_1108850538789_1033223_n.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	42384

Name:	24407_1108860019026_2499575_n.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	42385
            Here's the really cool part: Individual four piston design mounted all around. What a cool idea!!
            Justin Rio

Comment

That's a sweet set up for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=18819

Here's the really cool part: Individual four piston design mounted all around. What a cool idea!!
                Man what a nightmare that would be to bleed.
                Attached Files
                trevorcgates@gmail.com
                Engine # P66909... are you out there
                Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Yes, very trick but not practical.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Who now sell an accurate granular brake system for my car? I'm not expecting a perfect reproduction, but something close to it.

Comment

Ashley Page does some of the most beautiful fabrication work I have seen.
                      Below are some shots he said I could share of a 356C disc brake upgrade he was commissioned to build for another hot rod 356 that's being built.

Name:	IMG_8600.JPG
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	78931
                      Fully vented and slotted with Brembos!
                      Note all the new 935 RSR calipers in the background that he offers.

Name:	IMG_8624.JPG
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	78932
                      Alloy hats and custom adaptor for C-spindles.

Name:	IMG_8601.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	78933
                      Forgot to ask him if the rotors float??

Name:	IMG_8609.JPG
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	78934
                      Same for the rear, fully vented and slotted. Trick, trick, trick. Says, he can build one more set... Any takers??
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Contact info?
                        I know of an Outlaw 356 in my shop that needs those.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Justin but it pales next to your work.

Mr. Warehouse you can reach me at apage@prosystembrakes.com.
                          I have everything for another set. You will have to have C front spindles and rear virtical links for a "bolt on" fit.
                          Ashley Page

Comment

Well have to say, that work looks so impressive, really super. Makes my old drums look as though they belong in the Arc!!

Great photo's.

Roy

Comment

Nice of you to say Ashley but I just fill in rust holes. I don't produce parts like this; I'm the guy buying from developers like you and if I were running disc's I'd own this set for sure!

Can't wait to see them on "curb Appeal" Greg.
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=34921
                                Nice of you to say Ashley but I just fill in rust holes. I don't produce parts like this; I'm the guy buying from developers like you and if I were running disc's I'd own this set for sure!

Can't wait to see them on "curb Appeal" Greg.

Seemed like a great idea, but I have dropped spindles, so no go....

Comment

Working...
                                X