replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	356abarthmoteur1.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	90878
    You are right Justin
    The 2 off dreikantshaber are very similar to the 20 off Abarth Carrera GTS
    To compell with the FIA GT class regulations Porsche had to start from an existing sport cars in that case the 356 B Carrera 2000
    herefore in both cars the engine is hanging behind the transaxle

View of the engine of 122-991

Name:	AP23.JPG
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	90879

Abarth Carrera GT engine bay

Name:	356abarthmoteur2.JPG
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	90880

Leave a comment:

• Miracle Man
    replied
    The #129 RSK is J.Robert Bucher at Bridgehampton in 1961. Photo by barcboys.com Bucher won FM that day and became SCCA FM Nat'l champ that year. The decal on the side is not Ferrari - but Jake's Stable. It is a mimic of Ferrari and is a prancing donkey. Bucher wanted a Ferrari back in the mid 50's but the importer would not sell him one. He got a Cad-Allard and beat almost every Ferrari he came across and his friend Spankey Smith created the Jake's Stable logo. Over years, many drivers loved the pun and some vintage cars retain that sticker today.

Leave a comment:

• JTR70
    replied
    In looking through your photos Gerard, It just dawned on me that both of these notch back RSK coupes had outboard mounted engines like a standard 356. I always assumed they were mid-engine like all spyders; just RSK's with a roof. Thanks for the photos and info.

Justin

Leave a comment:

• Porschinelle
    replied
    Sorry its already very late in France
    I will continue to morrow their race carreer and explain how 122-991 was sold by Porsche to Americo Nunes in Portugal who crash it and rebuilt it to have it looking close (we are in 1965) to the new 904 and then how this car went to France in the hands of a major Porsche cars collector who had it rebuilt as it was looking in 1963 based on the pics taken from 122-992 who was kept by Porsche in their Stuttgart museum and how finally both cars ended to be exhibited in the 2011 Quail

Leave a comment:

• Porschinelle
    replied
    Due to the angular shape of the body these 2 cars got from the Porsche mecanics the nick name of "dreikantshaber"
    First race was the 1963 edition of the Le Mans 24 hours race June 16/17th under race number 29 for 122-992 (pilots Gerhardt Koch/Carel Godin de Beaufort) and 30 for 122-991 (pilots Heinz Schiller/Ben Pon)

Name:	AP28LM6329.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	90852

Name:	AP29LM6330.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	90853

Name:	AP30LM63BenPonschiller.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	90854

Name:	AP31LM6329KochcarelGdeB.JPG
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	90855

Leave a comment:

• Porschinelle
    replied
    In 1963 new rules were introduced by he FIA to the GT class
    In order to be able to compete in the 1963 Le Mans Porsche ask Butzi (Ferry's son) to design what could be considered as an improved Abarth Carrera : an aluminium body on a 356 chassis ( as for the Abarth carrera and not a tubular chassis as for the 718 RS 60/61) fitted with a 2 liter Fuhrmann engine
    The Porsche 2000 GTS was born
    2 cars chassis 122-991 and 122-992 were built

Name:	AP19Assemblage63.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	90850

Leave a comment:

• Porschinelle
    replied
    Starting from Vance post

Name:	AP48Vance.JPG
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	90846
    and subsequent Richard

Name:	AP49Richard.JPG
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	90847
    and Heink

Name:	AP50Heink.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	90848
    please find there after my contribution

Leave a comment:

replied
    Thanks guys, it looked liked a completely different car without the rear window openings.
    ~Vance

Name:	718r90.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	90765

Leave a comment:

• jacques
    replied
    Hi Norm
    i think Julo Palmaz owned one of them at that time and it may be owned now by a collector in Sweden.
    j

Leave a comment:

• Rickie
    replied
    This post and the Portugal link referred to by Henk clearly outlines the how and why of the bodywork modifications that puzzled me in my PS comment in my earlier post. Great followup, Henk.

Leave a comment:

• Stormin
    replied
    As I understand both cars are owned by the factory and were on display in 2011 at the event in California (Porsche Race Car Classic)

Norm

Leave a comment:

• Henk Vasmel
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rickie
    replied
    From my post in 2014: Your photograph is of the 1963 Carrera 2000 GS-GT coupe, of which two were built, and was nicknamed "Dreikantschaber" because it resembled a triangular scraper tool in shape. It was an in house design that picked up on many of the styling cues of the 718 coupes which were introduced two years earlier, although without the windows on the upper quarter panels (in particular), and which also had those distinctive louvers on the lower rear quarters. Ludvigsen shortened the appellation to DKS on the 2 liter GT coupe, which was of course created with the same logic that led to the creation of the earlier Abarth Carrera, lighter weight and better aerodynamics provides improved performance in class categories.

RR

PS Sail panel is a little odd, as is scoop on it...R
    PPS Also note oval customs plate taped to hood...R

Leave a comment:

replied
    Anyone familiar with this car?

Name:	rsk09.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	90664

Leave a comment: