73 911S
    66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Red911
      Red911 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Mark,
      I had trouble getting my iPhone photos to be correctly orientated. I loaded the iPhone photos to my desktop, rotated them and then posted using the corner "pulling" tab to size it the way I wanted. That works for me. Tom

• Mark Erbesfield
    57 356A
    65 911
    68 912
    73 911S
    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Red911
      Red911 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Mark, looks like you have pulled out the "valley" that you discussed earlier. The door looks great. Tom

• when I open your pictures they are full screen and looks great.
    Jay D.

Comment

• [QUOTE=badsix;n104790]
      Mark Erbesfield
      57 356A
      65 911
      68 912
      73 911S
      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• JTR70
        JTR70 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Mark, Sorry about that. Its a glitch I have yet to get my webmaster to correct but will get it sorted eventually. The photo display issues have been pissing me of too. Thanks for patience with this. Doors are looking great! Keep it up!
        Justin

• Thanks Tom. Yes it is much better to point of acceptable. I will continue to fiddle with it. Quite a workout doing this sort of work. Professional panel beaters must be in very good physical condition.
      Mark Erbesfield
      57 356A
      65 911
      68 912
      73 911S
      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Mark Erbesfield
        57 356A
        65 911
        68 912
        73 911S
        79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Long overdue update. News flash, I’m not dead. Working my way towards spraying of undercoating and getting very close. Main floor is seam sealed and ready for one more coat of paint then undercoating. The last hurdle was the rear quart panels. They had the original nasty tar undercoating still in place. I am grateful it was sprayed even though it is a bitch to remove. It saved this old girl from the tin worm. There is minor pitting in a few spots but overall, nice original German steel. The factory seams are amazingly beautiful. I was dreading it’s removal, but in the end a torch and scraper made quick work of it. I probably gave up a year of my life due to the fumes, but it’s a sacrifice we make for the greater good of the project. After bulk removal was completed, the fun task of surface conditioning the metal in preparation for paint began. After 5 hours of grinding w condition pads and wire wheels, it is close. I still have some nooks and crannies to deal with, which as you know require creative thinking on how to get them. One more good shop visit and it should be ready for paint followed by seam sealer then more paint and finally undercoating. What a happy day that will be.
          Mark Erbesfield
          57 356A
          65 911
          68 912
          73 911S
          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Underside looks fantastic!

• More pics of quarters
          Mark Erbesfield
          57 356A
          65 911
          68 912
          73 911S
          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            These deep underside shots really highlight what a nice unmolested car this really is.

• I have a question relating to the front fenders and the closing panels. What is the best way to seal the front closing panels so dirt and water cannot get back in better the inner fender and outer skin? I seam seam sealed the lower section but then when I get to the top of the inner fender the gap is huge. Do I use a foam backer rod and seam seal it or did I make a mistake and should it have been left open to drain. As it is now, clearly I have created a huge water holding spot. So I either close it off or remove the sealer. What do you guys recommend?
          Mark Erbesfield
          57 356A
          65 911
          68 912
          73 911S
          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to think every seam had to be sealed but I realized later I could be creating a future problem if creeping water cannot drain. I had sealed the inner crevice my door bottoms but changed my mind on that as thought of if any water getting in between there would create the problem I was trying to prevent.
            I dug all of it back out and left it with a good coat of paint and sealer. As an added layer of rust protection I packed and coated the door bottom in axle grease. I don't care how messy or dirty it might eventually get as its much easier to wipe a layer clean rather than finding rust bubbling in those areas again. The same treatment will happen with that upper fender area and seam you've got pictured. That deep recess is getting packed with grease.

• Mark
          On my T6B I think that area was filled with gobs of what looked like roofing tar. We have lost several expert contributors to this forum(Bruce & Javk) that could provide good answers.
          Phil

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Planck View Post
            Mark
            On my T6B I think that area was filled with gobs of what looked like roofing tar. We have lost several expert contributors to this forum(Bruce & Javk) that could provide good answers.
            Phil
            It has been so long since I was last here. Where did these guys go to? I guess I should look in the registry.

JTR70 Hoping Justin will chime in.
            Last edited by merbesfield; 10-26-2020, 03:34 AM.
            Mark Erbesfield
            57 356A
            65 911
            68 912
            73 911S
            79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              I had lot of issues with the site for several months and I had to find a new webmaster that I could rely upon. I had to go through a few outfits before I found the one. Anyway, things really got out of sink here for quite a while and many of the regulars scattered to the wind. Maybe they'll be back who knows but I'll keep the lights on here either way.

• Mark pleased to see you back ! Well, you have been busy. Those underneath the fender ( wing ) shots really show how good the original factory steel is . I did all that work on mine over 40 years ago and I don't think I got mine to shine like yours . I have missed Bruce's comments as well. He always had good info to share. I think when Justin had to change the Forum format I had problems making it work so maybe so did he? I don't go on the Registry anymore but do wonder how he is?

Keep up the good work!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              I spoke with Bruce a few months back he is in process of closing out is shop and retiring to Florida. Maybe we'll see him here again once he's settled into his new life.

• I emailed Bruce yesterday. One week to go before closing shop. I encouraged him to come back to abcgt. Maybe when he gets settled in he will. Justin, I have gotten feedback from some we lost that it was too hard to figure out how to use new forum. Maybe a email tutorial and invite from you could coax some back. Jack is now active on the 912 bbs.

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the outreach Phil. How fast the time goes, he's already down to his last week huh? They find it too hard to figure out? The picture loading is a little different but not so different from the old system. The original platform failure really up ended things. Jack probably finds it too slow here to participate. Its a real catch22/ vicious circle with these forums; if its slow no one really wants to contribute but then again if no one participates it remains slow. All I can do is to keep on adding my content along with the few great guys like yourself until it turns around again. I've got a really great web master now so that is really half of the problem solved. Thanks again Phil!

• Phil and Justin thanks for the info on Bruce. I am pleased he is okay and I do hope after he moves he will respond again. He knows 356 inside out!!

I still have to sort out some things on the forum like the photo's. I will get there much better since I came of Windows XP and graduated to WIN 10 !

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad you got your old PC system all up graded Roy...

• Regarding my front fenders I have lost some sleep over this detail. I ended up using some closed cell foam as backer rod and sealed it. I too am worried about holding water. I will go back and make sure water can get out the bottom somehow.
            Mark Erbesfield
            57 356A
            65 911
            68 912
            73 911S
            79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Working...
            X