Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2998 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2998 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 57 356 A mild resto - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

57 356 A mild resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Mark,

Per your request, here is a photo of the Zim's rear front fender replacement panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2319.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	104154

I will be shaving the panel somewhat before installing.

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Red911 View Post
      Hi Mark,

I misunderstood your issue. I thought where you welded the lower door skin on, there was a valley. You clarified that the door bottom was in due to the door shims from the PO. Therefore, my recommendation is unnecessary. Sorry about my confusion.

Tom
      Tom, you read correctly. I have/had two issues. Valley in door skin and bottom alignment. Bottom alignment was solved w shims. Valley is still there, but I will worry about that a little later. Thx for pic of fender patch panel. Is the thickness the same as our original German cars? Another words, thinner than the RD pieces?
      Mark Erbesfield
      57 356A
      65 911
      68 912
      73 911S
      66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Simonson panels are 19 gauge and very accurate.
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Got another good 6.5 hours of shop time in. Got the DS door bottom roughed in. Time to break out the Dykum and do some detail marking.

First I had to cut out the old, which required spot weld cutting and removal of old rusty door bottom. Cleaned up all the rust and get the old door ready. Lots of measuring and recording of dimensions so new goes back the same is old. I had to cut the new door bottom patch panel open so I could add the 3mm that the piece was narrow. To make the patch easier to repair I first made the cut and opened the piece 3 mm. Then I cut back in the opposite direction from zero to 3mm and squared out the opening. Then I took some scrap I had from RD floor surround kit and made filler pieces. Welded it up and metal finished it. I also had to add 3+ mm to the tail end of the panel. Then I started the process of fitting it to the door bottom.

Attached Files
          Last edited by merbesfield; 02-01-2019, 02:46 PM.
          Mark Erbesfield
          57 356A
          65 911
          68 912
          73 911S
          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Does anyone know who sells door hinge shims?
            Mark Erbesfield
            57 356A
            65 911
            68 912
            73 911S
            79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• It's very easy to make them yourself. Use the original as a template and make them in several different thicknesses. Below is a picture of what came with my car. I threw away all of the poorly made ones and used the one on the left as a template.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	652.7 KB
ID:	104178
              jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Originally posted by John Pierce View Post
                It's very easy to make them yourself. Use the original as a template and make them in several different thicknesses. Below is a picture of what came with my car. I threw away all of the poorly made ones and used the one on the left as a template.

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	652.7 KB
ID:	104178
                Yea I figured I could make them, but they should be cheap so I figure I would order them so one less thing for me to do.
                Mark Erbesfield
                57 356A
                65 911
                68 912
                73 911S
                79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• I got some from Stoddard.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	104477 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	104478 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	104479
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by merbesfield; 01-30-2019, 04:23 PM.
                    Mark Erbesfield
                    57 356A
                    65 911
                    68 912
                    73 911S
                    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• JTR70
                      JTR70 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looking good Mark!

• Nicely done. Don't you love the look of clean new metal?
                    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Originally posted by John Pierce View Post
                      Nicely done. Don't you love the look of clean new metal?
                      Yes I do. I especially like the look of straight new metal. Metal working after welding is not always a lot of fun, but when the results turn out positive, it is very rewarding. I have been thinking of my techniques for how to attack the door bottom. I know Jason said there is not much room, but to me it looks pretty wide open and accessible, though certainly not for a hammer. I am hoping that my method of using s backing dolly and slapper will give me some decent results. After that it will be all filler. Lead or other, not sure yet. Open to trying lead, but we shall see.
                      Mark Erbesfield
                      57 356A
                      65 911
                      68 912
                      73 911S
                      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• PS, what am I doing wrong with posting my pics? They are all small compared to others that are full size.

PSS, I think I figured it out, but what size do most use? Large seems huge, medium too small. And on my phone when posting I am not sure I see these options. Also, strange is at the bottom, all the pics that I have loaded do not actually show up. Like shows 3 but says five! WTH?
                        Last edited by merbesfield; 01-30-2019, 04:26 PM.
                        Mark Erbesfield
                        57 356A
                        65 911
                        68 912
                        73 911S
                        79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Upload the images and hit "post reply," then go back and hit "edit" and enlarge the images to "Large" and hit "save."

HTH
                          Last edited by John Pierce; 01-31-2019, 01:10 PM.
                          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• I use large and it is resized on the screen to fit. It look good with that size without losing details.
                            jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Last edited by merbesfield; 11-16-2020, 02:42 PM.
                              Mark Erbesfield
                              57 356A
                              65 911
                              68 912
                              73 911S
                              79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Working...
                              X