No announcement yet.

59 RHD South African Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good Drew, yes, always interested in the early fuel pump so your part you have made will interest me. Mine is still original but I have a rebuild kit in my spares box just in case! Actually I am amazed at the fact the diaphragm has not failed after all these years. I don't see any replacement parts used from the early 60's on my files.

Actually I think its a great piece of engineering.( saying that it will now probably fail next week )

Roy

Comment

Thanks Roy
      I will pull together a 'how too' step by step guide when I've got a spare couple of hours.

I have a question for you.
      I saw pictures of your old 52 on another thread, I have been compiling a register of RHD early 356's up to 1959 and I would love to use your pictures. I would also like to know the registration plate as it's unreadable on the pictures.

One day I plan to build a web site with all the details and pictures of over 100 cars I have been collecting over the past 30 years.

I have also been busy re building a G coded (1958/59) Blaupunkt Bremen radio to go in this car, will hook it up at the weekend and see if it still works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6721445.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	83892

Name:	6721449.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	83893

Regards
      Drew

Comment

Drew,

The 1952 356 had the registration 172 MY. Strange by brother used that registration on a RHD 1966 911 he owned. I wonder if its still on the road ! Valuable now !!

My 1959 356A has the reg WYL 8.

No problems to use the pics.

I attach a photo of the 1952 lockplate with it chassis number. Should have kept more of it in a barn

Name:	resize52hingeplate_2017-01-20.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	83906

Chassis 11789

Roy

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6888_sml.jpg Views:	147 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	88822

The 'African Queens' original engine #P 73785 is now back together and will go into storage awaiting the day when it can be re-installed.
          Yes I know the coil decal is upside down, I will rectify this later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6859_sml.jpg Views:	134 Size:	91.6 KB ID:	88823

The unique RHD pedal cluster floor bracket had rusted through and needed a fair amount of welding before it could be re-assembled.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6882_sml.jpg Views:	147 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	88824

Next up was the hand brake assembly, again another unique RHD mirror image part.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6917_sml.jpg Views:	122 Size:	94.9 KB ID:	88825

RHD one at the top.

Thanks for looking.
          Regards
          Drew
          Last edited by Drew.s; 12-27-2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Name:	DSCF6919_sml.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	88827

Name:	DSCF6920_sml.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	88828

Name:	DSCF6910_sml.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	88829Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6911_sml.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	88830

Almost every part that has been removed is now restored even the smallest item.

Name:	DSCF6914_sml.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	88831

Thanks for looking.
            Regards
            Drew

Comment

Name:	DSCF6926_sml.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	88833Click image for larger version

Name:	Kolnlabel_sml.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	88834

Name:	DSCF6927_sml.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	88835

Name:	Kolnsidelabel_sml.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	88836

Name:	DSCF6929_sml.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	88837

Comment

Drew,

Whatever you take apart and then restore always seems to look fantastic. You have the right approach. My original Motorola valve radio fitted when the car was imported is just great but with no FM still only picks up stations that operate on medium wave like they did in 1959. The station called 'Smooth' has nice music playing all the time and if you like sport BBC have some you can get. Living on the south coast I can also get French stations.
                I like the fact the radio is still working. I have had all the valves out and found all the signal trimming adjusters. I thought for many years Motorola was a UK manufacturer but of course its from the USA !

I do have the original setting up information booklet from the importer but only ever seen one other original RHD 356A fitted with one the same as mine.

You see, I like valve radio's too and accept ' Mono' because I am old enough to remember it well.

If your bodywork ends up as good as the parts you are doing I will be a bit green when its finished! The engine looks really nice Drew.

Roy

Comment

[quote="roy mawbey" post=38849]Drew,

Whatever you take apart and then restore always seems to look fantastic. You have the right approach. My original Motorola valve radio fitted when the car was imported is just great but with no FM still only picks up stations that operate on medium wave like they did in 1959. The station called 'Smooth' has nice music playing all the time and if you like sport BBC have some you can get. Living on the south coast I can also get French stations.
                  I like the fact the radio is still working. I have had all the valves out and found all the signal trimming adjusters. I thought for many years Motorola was a UK manufacturer but of course its from the USA !

I do have the original setting up information booklet from the importer but only ever seen one other original RHD 356A fitted with one the same as mine.

You see, I like valve radio's too and accept ' Mono' because I am old enough to remember it well.

If your bodywork ends up as good as the parts you are doing I will be a bit green when its finished! The engine looks really nice Drew.

Roy[/quote

I thought it was only my period radio that would only get MW stations!

Comment

looking great drew......love the new radio graphics.....attention to detail looks spot on!

keep it up

Comment

Really nice work, Drew, looking forward to your thorough approach to the bodywork. The radios look great. Unfortunately my car has an old US Seers replacement radio in it. Not much value there I think..

Jonesy

Comment

Name:	DSCF6895_sml.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	89381

Name:	Frame_sml.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	89383Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6921_sml.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	89382

Comment

Ok so the rear torsion bar cover bolts are out and not one broke off (as has happened to me in the past).
                          A word of warning these bolts rust away big time see picture below and I have found the best way to remove them without them shearing off is to use an air impact wrench, it seems that the hammering action frees up the bolts without them breaking.

Name:	DSCF6945_sml.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	89385

Name:	DSCF6943_sml.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	89386

So now for the measuring, I have fabricated a length gauge from a piece of angle iron with a piece of aluminium bolded to each end.
                          The rear has a bolt that attaches to the rear lower torsion bar cover threaded insert.

Name:	DSCF6941_sml.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	89387Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6923_sml.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	89388

Name:	DSCF6925_sml.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	89389

Thanks for looking.
                          She goes under the knife next.
                          Regards
                          Drew

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6867_sml.jpg Views:	110 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	89391

As you can see the forward RHD pedal area is shot, this will all have to come out and be replaced with new panels.

But rear parcel shelf and seat buckets are in surprisingly good shape.

I will save the gruesome details of the rear panel work, dash top and window openings for another post but take it from me this body has had a hard life.

So off comes the left rocker panel and longitudinal, revealing a heater tube that will need some help.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6966-sml.jpg Views:	87 Size:	78.4 KB ID:	89392

Left hand floor pan gone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6967_sml.jpg Views:	117 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	89393

Next up the central tunnel.

Thanks for looking.
                            Regards
                            Drew
                            Last edited by Drew.s; 12-27-2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Name:	DSCF7008_sml.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	89395

Name:	DSCF7010_sml.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	89396

Name:	DSCF7012_sml.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	89397

When cutting be careful to go low enough to miss the two conduits inside.

Name:	DSCF6997_sml.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	89398

Name:	DSCF7005_sml.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	89399

With the tunnel removed and the old patches ground away it was time to start fabricating the butchered rear section.

Name:	DSCF7013_sml.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	89400

Name:	DSCF7016._sml.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	89401

Name:	DSCF7019_sml.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	89402

Comment

Hey Drew,

Some great work on the above pages. Very professional set up to check everything. Good photos too. This reporting with full explanation takes time to do. I often told Justin the time involved on doing just that must be demanding but also so useful for guys starting out on such an adventure.

You are so correct Drew, the only other Motorola valve radio I have seen in a 356 was in WUF 810. I saw the car at Goodwood and looking in saw the radio but with black control knobs not Ivory like mine.

Also the valve box had been placed under the l/side wooden floor board whilst mine is placed centrally under the dash panel area.

AFN must have fitted them on arrival as both 'A's were AFN supplied.

I have quite a few pics of WUF in various places. That was a very nice 356A.

Keep up the good work Drew always interested in your exploits.

Roy

Comment

Working...
                                X