No announcement yet.

59 RHD South African Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Drew! This will be a helpful guide as I'll be doing the same thing here shortly on the coupster. Great job!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

One other thing Justin.
      Because the bucket is shallower the main cable conduit tube/horn bracket needs to be adjusted. I am going to move the hole in the battery box side forward so that it all lines up with the front fender bracket.
      Will post dimensions and pictures soon.
      Regards
      Drew

Comment

That's another good point Drew and I can definitely see the need for some forward adjustment to compensate for that difference. My project will be a bit more of a wildcard as I'm using a Trevor's nose panel, repro brackets and of course those buckets. Its more build-to-suit as you know because ultimately the end it just has to work and fit for your particular project. With the change you're talking about it might also be a good idea to mock up your original horn and pedestal assemblies (if you're running them) to ensure there remains clearance enough away from the nose after this change. You know how it goes, its a domino effect once you begin altering things.
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Good point on those horns, Justin. They can be pretty close already.
          Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Good points Justin and Jack, I will mock up the horns before I commit.

With the front end coming together I decided to work back along the wing to see what other horrors I could uncover...

The rear wing to door opening doesn't exist, it's just pop rivets and bondo sculpted to look like there's metal there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6510_sml.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	77865

So started hatching a plan to take the whole front off as I am going to have to replace the inner rear wings and get better access to the lower hinge area.

Name:	DSCF6135_sml.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	77866

This is how it looked a couple of weeks ago, not pretty.
            And here it is now...

Name:	DSCF6513_sml.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	77867

Name:	DSCF6518_sml.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	77868

Name:	DSCF6551_sml.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	77869

The heater conduit has rusted through behind the door seal channel and will need replacing and of course the area behind the inner rear wing will need to be fabricated.
            I have peeled the longitudinal away and to my surprise the heater tube is in really great condition, just missing the supports.

Name:	DSCF6540_sml.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	77870

Before I go too far I am going to brace the structure, any thoughts on the best way to construct a rigid frame and where to weld it to?

Regards
            Drew

Comment

Hi Drew,

You've got a coupe, which adds a lot of rigidity to the unibody. Look at the first part of Justin's blog, which shows how he braced his open body. When I took my longitudinal off I had my car in my rotisserie. I placed a brace across the door opening to hold it in correct location then added perpendicular braces to the rotisserie so things wouldn't move in the other plane.

Name:	IMG_3584.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	77873

HTH.

John
              jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Man, that is going side ways and deep in a hurry. I feel your pain Drew.

Name:	Achassis084.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	77933
                Here's my subframe once again. The plan was to have a structure that was square with the chassis so it could double as a point of reference. I also needed it to be able to stay in for the entire duration so it had to be out of the way for door fitment and open enough for pan install etc.

Name:	Achassis4531.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	77934
                The car is close to being done and its still in there save for the rear section above the torsion housing. Most importantly the chassis shows no signs of twist after all its been through so its done everything that I've asked. The outrigger sections are the key there. A lot of ways to skin this cat so a combo of my design or Johns should do you fine.
                Justin Rio

Comment

Drew,

That is some job you are doing there. But Justins forum with both his and now so many other great undertakings by our other forum friends must be (or will be) such a help on major undertakings like yours. Experience and the passing on of this, is priceless.

Watching your thread with much interest.

Roy

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF5979_sml.jpg Views:	121 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	82336
                    Hi guys here is an update on the 'African Queens' engine restoration.

This engine was running when I bought the car but as you can see it was cosmetically a mess so I took the carbs on holiday to Mallorca to give them a full rebuild.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20160811_sml.jpg Views:	120 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	82337

I found the best way to clean the carb bodies was just straight lemon juice (and there are plenty of lemons in Spain).

Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20160818_sml.jpg Views:	124 Size:	67.9 KB ID:	82339

Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20160818_smlcopy.jpg Views:	121 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	82338

Engine stripped of all it's tin-ware and cleaned.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6572_sml.jpg Views:	122 Size:	91.7 KB ID:	82340
                    Restored carbs and air filters re-installed

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6587_sml.jpg Views:	122 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	82341
                    Fram oil filter top restored with new decal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6110-sml.jpg Views:	123 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	82342
                    Last edited by Drew.s; 12-27-2021, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6596_sml.jpg Views:	120 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	82344
                      Next up was the fan shroud which needed stripping and a new rear intake screen fabricating.
                      I turned a wooden buck on the lathe and then pressed new wire mesh to the correct shape.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6597_sml.jpg Views:	120 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	82345
                      I cleaned up the original mesh holding ring and welded it back onto the fan shroud.
                      Thanks for watching.
                      Drew

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6600_sml.jpg Views:	121 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	82346

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6601_sml.jpg Views:	119 Size:	101.9 KB ID:	82347
                      Last edited by Drew.s; 12-27-2021, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Morning Drew,

You sure have been bizy over at your litle islands
                        So you are starting a 356 Mesh sale as well ?

I guess you need to pay for a extra bag or send a container with the banana boat so you have pleanty of parts to refurbish on Mallorca next time you come.

Looking really nice and that you are using ECO friendly and Swan marked products in your renovation.

Cheerio
                        JOP

Comment

Nice effort there Drew, how on earth did a previous owner manage to get that mesh screen looking like that.Very inventive work and it looks perfect.

Roy

Comment

Drew - great job. Nice time management doing work on the project while on vacation. I rarely have room for extra shoes let alone car parts - unless I'm buying and flying back with parts!!
                            1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
                            356 Registry main thread;
                            http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
                            1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

Sounds like you're having a very rough go of it Drew, but I am glad to see you're still making progress by working smart and not hard. The carbs turned out perfect. I've filed your procedure away for future reference, so thanks for sharing. Fantastic job on reproducing that intake screen too!
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks guys and happy new year.
                                The fan shroud finally got painted, so the engine can start coming together.

Name:	DSCF6717_sml.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	83390

Name:	DSCF6718_sml.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	83391

I have rebuilt the fuel pump, which turned out to be quite a project in itself as I had to turn a new brass seat on the lathe, I will try and post the full process if people are interested.

Once this engine is put to bed I can return to the bodywork on this RHD 59.

Regards
                                Drew

Comment

Working...
                                X