Tony's 356b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the paint!

If I had been that creative, maybe people would've used chalk instead of bumpers, fenders, and doors to mark the Trusty Coupe.
    ----------
    Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

You have it right Tony, driving it everyday and having nothing but fun with it. Love the chalkboard paint idea! Thanks for the update.
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Rebuild the wheel cylinders on the front passengers side that were leaking.
        Now it doesn't pull to the right when I apply the brake pedal.

I think I'll start on the rear brakes now.
        Since the wheel cylinders were all backwards on the front, I assume the rear is the same.
        Hopefully I can get the ebrake working as well.

I will also be attempting to lower the rear a few splines as well.

I would love to figure out how the axle tube sealing works.
        Bought a seal kit from Zims with a couple of orings and some shims, but I don't know how to set preload. I've read online and elfin's book, but I'm not a smart man.
        I don't have a dial indicator or whatever tool I need to measure.

If someone knows how to do this, I'd love to know what tool I need to measure (maybe a picture of it), where and how to measure preload, and where the shims go... mine has no shims currently.

Slowly but surely getting all of the leaks sealed!

Comment

Perhaps this will help.
          http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39121&sid=e45d6b29ef85647d8fcab10488dc985e
          Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Great that helps, I haven't seen that thread before.

What do you call that measurement tool?

Comment

6" caliper. You can get one for under $20 at harbor freight. Get a digital type.
              Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Tony you are my hero, love the attitude. They look so cool in Matt black. I don't think I have the guts to go too far from stock, I love what you've done and how you are going about connecting with the car. Good on you mate!

Comment

Somehow I lost track of this car & just re-read the whole thread. Awesome job & excellent car! Chalkboard paint is definitely cool. Saw a vw bus like that once.

For someone who didn't know much about 356s you sure dive right in on any project it needs. My hat is off to ya. Keep up the great work & vision.
                  Mic
                  1959A coupe

Comment

Your comments truly mean a lot and help keep me motivated!

I rebuilt the wheel cyl on the rear passenger side and found the issue with the ebrake.
                    Now I need to do the same on the drivers side.
                    I also got the caliper to attempt to fix the gear oil leak on at the backing plate again.

Next up is to lower the rear and clean and paint the rear suspension parts and to pull the motor and replace the rear main seal, front seal, and make new pieces for the accelerator pumps on the carbs.

My mom has expressed interest in me fixing up the Ghia for her to drive, so my progress may be slowed some. But if my mom wants to drive the Ghia, she's going to get to drive it!!!!!
                    It runs and drives well, but it's not pretty enough for her. Gonna patch the rear floor boards, get a rubber kit and have someone redo the convertible top. Too many projects.

Comment

Haven't done much to the 356 lately except drive the shit out of it.

The ghia is coming along nicely though.

Here's some fun from the 4th of July.

Click image for larger version

Name:	356fireworks.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	64175

Comment

Great Stuff Tony! I was going to ask you if that was your bands music but the question was answered at the end. Enjoyed it and thanks!
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Tony, freakin' awesome man. Love the music, love the car, love the attitude! Keep it up!

jonesy

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy_356" post=28766
                            Tony, freakin' awesome man. Love the music, love the car, love the attitude! Keep it up!

jonesy
                            Sorry to be so blandly trite, but.......TIMES TWO!

THIS is what's been missing in the 356 world. It's those "my age" who are uptite with themselves and their 356s. It's stale...but there is obviously hope.

The cars are 50+ years old and still cool and the freekin' Stones landed in the US an unbelieveable 50 years ago and are still cool, I got my first 356 50 years ago and at least wannabe still cool, Justin has a cool site here.....so that oft-quoted "faith" is renewed!!!

Thanks, guys....I needed that after a great visit with a still cool 92 year old man....who was cool as a Porsche distributor and dealer when I met him (at 22), who had me rolling last week with his stories of his Porsche and Indy days (his Indycar teams won the Indy 500 three times, employing drivers like Jack Brabham and Mario Andretti!)

Life is still good even if it can always be better! Rock on!

-Bruce

Comment

I've gotten some good things accomplished lately.
                              I finally figured out the rear transaxle leak at the backing plate.
                              Put in a few shims and got it as close to factory specs as I could and it is dry so far.
                              I put the rear brakes back together correctly (ebrake lever was on the wrong hole) which now allows the parking brake to work!

I also went back through the carbs again.
                              I think the carb housings are being eaten into by whatever is in the gas these days.
                              There was a grey sludge in each, which is causing clogged accelerator pump jets.
                              But I learned a lot about the zeniths this go around.
                              I've got them tuned up the best I can (without a float level checker), and the car is running better than it ever has!! Maybe I'm posting this too soon...

The rust is getting worse on the inside of the car, but the underside seems to be staying the same. I think I will now pull all of the carpet and panels out of the inside and see what's what.

Comment

My car's still running lol.
                                I made it on the news in Austin, Texas.
                                I'm now looking for a split window VW bus to paint with chalkboard paint so I can take the 356 down for major rust repair.

Comment

Working...
                                X