No announcement yet.

Tony's 356b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really glad to hear that you are driving and enjoying this beast! Its also nice hear that you slowly addressing all of the nagging little problems. BTW: If you replaced your axle boots with the split type make sure the seam is NOT at the 12 O'clock position. The reason being when the axle swings up through its travel it will crowd and stress the seam. Instead the seam should be mounted at either the 10 or 2 o'clock postions and maybe even slightly lower. Maybe you knew that already but wanted to make sure. Look forward to another update!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Tony,

As justin says once you remove those logitudinals it will look a lot better. You might need to do a bit on the heater tubes. Bit by bit and it will come together.

Roy

Comment

Regarding the axle boots, I thought about it a while and placed the seam at I guess what would be the 9 o clock position. Still no leaking.

I will definately feel better once the longitudinals are done, but it will be a little while before I start that project.

Good news:
        I probably put a couple hundred miles on the car this weekend. It's running better, but still slower than I think it should be.
        I REALLY need to check the timing, but my timing gun is dead. I believe it is pretty retarded.

I may lose some respect here, but I spray painted the car red with my band's logo to coincide with my band's new album release.
        I think it looks ok, although I'm not a fan of red cars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	356deepellum1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	12156

Name:	356deepellum2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	12157

I also lowered the front some.
        I backed the adjusters out as far as they would go. I dropped it a good amount on the passenger side, but the driver's side is sitting an inch or two higher.
        I want to open up the adjusters some and see if I can get it any lower.
        Feels and looks alot better with the nose level instead of pointing up to the sky!

I also pulled the blinker switch out and gave it a cleaning. Still having issues with the lights though. I've got everything working execpt the left blinker and the low beam lights.
        I learned that the horn work, but it looks like I need a new rubber piece between the horn and steering wheel.

Comment

Cool Tony! You won't lose any fans, its only paint. Post a photo of your album cover so we have some context. Good luck with it BTW!
          The car should sit level up front, the only thing I can think of is its riding on the bump stops and one is either missing or shorter than the other. Thanks for the update! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

For the horn, is there supposed to be a spring in there?
            Mine just has a rotted piece of rubber, but I see on sierramadre's website, they sell a spring as well.

Comment

Tony, I'll post an exploded view of the steering column from my parts book tomorrow. It will show you everything thats in there... Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Tony,

You have me thinking... looking at your bands logo is it named 'noughts and crosses'? Am I bemused or amused can't make up mind on that.

Anything 356 thats on the roads running is perfect, I have rebuilt a petcock if you need advice on that. Seem to see a comment you made earlier about that. I do have photo's.

Roy

Comment

My band is Scary Cherry and the Bang Bangs.
                  http://www.scarycherry.com
                  I don't like the red, so i think i'll spray it flat black and try to put the red cherry logo on the doors.

Would you happen to have a diagram of the blinker switch??? Cleaning the switch didn't get the left blinker working.

I will be rebuilding the petcock in the near future.
                  When I got the car, it worked correctly, but now it only runs on reserve.

Comment

Here you go Tony, an exploded view of all the components that comprise your steering column.

Name:	insp356267.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	12328
                    Part #29 is the tension spring I think you were referring to.

Name:	insp356266.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	12329
                    Hope this helps! Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

ahh very cool.
                      I think that was still there, I just need #44.
                      Ordered that a few days ago, maybe it will come in today.

Thanks once again Justin!!

Comment

No Problem; glad it helped! Your car makes the perfect "scary Cherry"
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

I love that car! So sick of the routine over restored cars. There are so many of them. I'm liking the new wave of 356 owners and the mods that are getting done. Even just a fun cherry bomb like this!

Comment

Thanks Tony, looked at the videos your band sounds professional. I don't have my early 'C' anymore but regarding the flasher on the 'B' does it flash faster with one not working? Is the earth okay?
                            I somehow doubt its the fasher unit if it works the others. Mines an A so a little different never gone wrong touch wood in 44 years so I guess you tried other bulbs connections etc.

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Manolin" post=4819
                              I love that car! So sick of the routine over restored cars. There are so many of them. I'm liking the new wave of 356 owners and the mods that are getting done. Even just a fun cherry bomb like this!
                              Tony ,I second that , as I'm building a C Outlaw as we speak.I think I'm part of the new wave myself , starting with a Basket.
                              Bruce

Comment

Nothing new to look at on my car, but I have been working on it.

Since I've had the car, it has constantly had random power cut outs.
                                Sometimes flooring it would clear it out, usually not.
                                I went through the carbs when I first got it, so I didn't think that was the problem.
                                I went ahead and put in new plugs, wires, points and condenser. It still ran like crap...

I pulled the carbs off again and found the problem. The coating (paint?? I don't know what it is) on the float bowls is flaking off and gumming up the carbs.

I found a parts zenith on ebay and got it for $65. The floats in that one are a black plastic. The floats in my carbs are a gold plastic.
                                One of mine was much worse than the other, so I replaced that one with the floats from my parts carb.

Now it runs better than ever!!!!!

I assume the floats don't like the ethanol in the new gas... or it could be that after sitting in gas for 50 years, they just broke down.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X