Chassis 85517 Number 17 356 Convertible D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear decklid area work.

Now that I am pretty much onto the rear section of this car I'm skipping back to some rework I did previously around the decklid.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3671.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	109185
    The previous shop leaded this gap but it showed up here with almost zero width in some areas. It has to have at least a uniform 3MM gap all the way around to match the rest of the closing panels. I began by zip wheeling the top gap open. The lead gave way quickly but I noticed as it went I was into the steel before I was even close to a 3mm gap. In other spots it was okay but I had no real consistency.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3672.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	109186
    To get an accurate picture of exactly what I had here, I decided it much easier to melt all the solder away and begin again. Bottom gap runs tight in spots toward the middle.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3674.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	109187
    Raw gap on this upper right hand corner is tight. With the bottom gap just as tight in spots there was simply no adjustment room to slide the lid down. Had to relief cut the opening. Tape line shows the needed 3mm gap
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_63067.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	109188
    Wasn't going to be a straight relief cut here as there was some previous damage and repair.

Name:	image_63068.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	109189 The car took a hit on its right rear quarter panel and I can only surmise that this upper decklid opening run was cut out to address a probable dent or buckle up in this area then once pounded out it was stitched back in... a very long time ago.

Last edited by JTR70; 06-30-2020, 07:20 AM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Upper right corner flange section:

Name:	IMG_3716.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	109191
      Decided it would be much cleaner to just install a new section and remove some that stitching down in the turn there. New 90 degree section ready for some curves.

Name:	IMG_3717.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	109192
      Slowly making the turn.

Name:	IMG_3718.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	109193
      Good profile match with the edge of the lid for my eventual 3mm gap with very little to no lead required in the end.

Name:	IMG_3719.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	109194
      Now for the second profile shape.

Name:	IMG_3720.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	109195
      Just about there... Prepping for install next.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Prepping for and fitting new section:

Name:	IMG_3721.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	109202
        Once I started cutting a nasty double wall repair soon made itself known Not surprising and pretty much in line with all the rest of the stuff I've been redoing.

Name:	IMG_3722.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	109203
        Kept cutting until I was past it. Had just a touch more to remove here. Base flange that mates to this trough also needed a small repair section.

Name:	IMG_3727.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	109204
        Dialing in the final fit.

Name:	IMG_3729.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	109205
        Ready to lay down some plug welds across the flange.

Name:	IMG_3731.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	109206
        Would weld up this corner once its set and gapped to the edge of the lid.

Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3733.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	109210
          Secured at along the flange.

Name:	IMG_3734.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	109211
          Dressed now onto attaching the upper leading edge.

Name:	IMG_3735.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	109212
          Decklid reinstalled to dial in the final gap and panel height adjustment with the lid.

Name:	IMG_3736.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	109213
          Tacked in best position.

Name:	IMG_3739.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	109214
          Won't take a lot of solder to bring it in the rest of the way.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3748.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	109216
            Finishing touch was adding the 90 degree bend to the edge of the flange. The scrap piece was the perfect width for a hammer form.

Name:	IMG_3751.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	109217
            New section completely stitched in and dressed. All done up here.

Name:	IMG_3752.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	109219
            repair will be completely undetectable from the bottom as well.

Name:	IMG_3753.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	109218
            Ready for body solder.

Name:	IMG_3755.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	109220
            raw basic fitment before the lead. Onto the next deal.

Thanks for looking!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Lower corner correction:

Second half of that previous repair
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3757.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	109237
              Against the latched lid this corner drops away too fast requiring a lot of solder to "catch it back up"
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3761.JPG Views:	0 Size:	39.1 KB ID:	109239
              Edge was cut free and sliced down the middle to allow it to raise up and grow as needed.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3763.JPG Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	109238
              Backfill sections tacked to lock in the needed height change.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3762.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	109240
              Now carries the line off of the latched lid much more closely requiring minimal amounts of solder this time.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3766.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	109241
              Fully welded and dress. Ready for some body solder but onto the other side of this lid next.

Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Last edited by JTR70; 07-04-2020, 06:49 AM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, your experience now after these years really shows in your approach to the work you are doing on this engine lid area. Its not easy to fabricate the required formed parts and of course should never have been necessary anyway. But the results you are getting are super. As you say,you would never know that its been worked on now. I hope the owner gets to see all this detective work to understand what a difference you are making to this car and in turn we get to see how you manage it as well.
                Super!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                  JTR70 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks so much for that Roy, I really do appreciate your posts! He is watching and wondering why its taking so long but these process photos do give him a small window as to why. Thanks again! Justin

• Left side decklid adjustments:

Name:	IMG_3770.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	109253
                Too tight between the hash marks just above the lower left corner.

Name:	IMG_3771.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	109254
                Cut and tapped back the needed 3mm+

Name:	IMG_3777.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	109255
                Welded and dressed now onto the next deal.

Name:	IMG_3778.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	109256
                The cowls edge on the upper left side stands just a touch too proud against the edge of the lid.

Name:	IMG_3779.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	109257
                Relief cut and relaxed down into alignment with the lid.

Justin Rio

Comment

• Last of the steel adjustments around the decklid and onto solder.

Name:	IMG_3780.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	109259
                  Carefully aligned and tacked to carry on with the edge of the lid. Stitched up and finished out next.

Name:	IMG_3781.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	109260
                  Took some doing but I finally had an engine lid fitment that I could move ahead with. Ready for solder.

Name:	IMG_3783.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	109261
                  Applying it as section at a time.

Name:	IMG_3785.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	109262
                  initial gap is tight but will open it up to match the rest of the car once I've got the rest of the lead applied.

Name:	IMG_3814.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	109263
                  Continued on down the line.

Thanks for looking!
                  Justin

Justin Rio

Comment

• Small nagging little repairs:

Name:	IMG_5933.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	109284Inner slotted hole for the tail light was hogged out at some point. Covered over with the light of course but we wanted the opening to look right when its out. One of those tiny repairs you put off until to absolutely can't any longer.

Name:	IMG_5935.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	109285 Templated from the left side and flipped over.

Name:	IMG_5936.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	109286 Easier to drill a hole to establish the end just cut the rest out.

Name:	IMG_5937.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	109287
                    New backing plate supplied to confirm fitment before paint.

Name:	IMG_5938.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	109288Slotted holes along with the open align just fine. Onto the next deal.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Rear bumper fitment:

Name:	IMG_5941.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	109290 Begin fitting bumper guards to new Trevor Marshal bumper.

Name:	IMG_5943.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	109291Mounting bumper to the car first.

Name:	IMG_5942.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	109292 The guards are original and so is the bumper deco. I'll use the existing holes in the deco for the guards as jumping off point to locate and drill the holes for the mount studs.

Name:	IMG_5948.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	109293 Initial mock up. Pretty close but it wasn't going to be that easy of course.

Name:	IMG_5949.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	109294 Had some clearance and alignment issues with the bumper and the ports in the cars lower valance. Par for the course when installing a new part.
                      Thanks for looking!
                      Justin

Justin Rio

Comment

• Interesting for me Justin. My 59A no doubt had the overrider guards with the holes in them for the exhaust pipes. But in the 60's when I obtained the car the two pipe sports exhaust was fitted and the overrider guards are the non-hole version. I have a photo from 1961 that shows the car again without the guard holes so presume either the first owner changed them or they were never fitted on request to the factory? My brother had a late T2 with the holes the same as the 'D' you are working on. The guards got very dirty quickly from the exhaust and his T2 was a bit smoky which did not help. All the bumper details on mine look original so have often wondered about that. I like the sports exhaust just a personal point of view though.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                          JTR70 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They could very well have been the originals ones fitted to your car Roy. One thing I've learned along the way is that there is no absolutes with these cars.
                          Justin

• needed rear bumper corrections;

Name:	IMG_5957.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	109325 Pretty close for its first trial fitment but of course its wasn't going to be that easy.

Name:	IMG_5958.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	109326 Left guard and funnel centered beautifully with the arch in the valance.

Name:	IMG_5959.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	109327 The right guard on the other hand was a touch inboard. We want them both centered and as the valance is the original the reliefs in the bumper and the position of this guard will be adjusted to suit.

Name:	IMG_5950.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	109328 The other issue is with the bumpers lower profile. It tapers away too fast leaving this gap at the lower edge of the guard.

Name:	IMG_5952.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	109329
                        This leaves the eventual filler bead dangling loose at the bottom. Could file the guard to close this up but the top edge would then over shoot the inner edge of the bumper. Once again since the bumper is the repro it will be changed to suit the original parts.
                        Thanks for looking!
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin even on my non hole overider the original filler bead has a gap at the bottom of the bumper guard in the same position as yours. I wondered about that myself but have never done anything about it. Its only a small gap but its there. I must try a few photos I have got them on before!!
                          Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                            JTR70 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks for that confirmation Roy, now I won't obsess trying for a perfect profile match through that area. I'll get it close enough for a nice contact fit with that extrusion instead.

• Deck lid body work:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5973.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.5 KB ID:	109333 Put the rear bumper issue aside for now and went back to working this lid back in with the body. finalizing my leaded gaps.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5974.JPG Views:	0 Size:	147.2 KB ID:	109334 Using a filler spreader as a backing with piece of 60 grit to carve out the final gap with the lid.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5995.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.0 KB ID:	109335Lid opening was then sealed and swatches of filler followed. Bounced between blocking down the side of the body as the filler cured.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5999.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.4 KB ID:	109336The it was onto another pass of sealer and a tracer coat to see what I now had. The profile reflection was much improved and I feel like I'm about done but I always find some aspect of it obsess over.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5996.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	109337 As the paint dried I went back to the lid to address several cracks along the upper edge that were left behind at the other shop. No big deal but just more PIA detail issues to address.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                          X