1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower gusset repairs continued:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9975.jpg Views:	0 Size:	239.2 KB ID:	113773 Plug welds along the top completed and dressed. Seam welded along the suspension flange as originally done.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9976.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.7 KB ID:	113774 Followed up with my panel spotter to replicate spot detail as close as I can. Seam weld along the gusset still needs some grounding to even it out further. Gone as far as I can on this side for now. Can't get to the bottom of it or install the diagonal brace while mounted on this bench. It will have to go back onto the rotisserie to get at that.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9978.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	113775 Repeat left side.

Name:	IMG_9979.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	113776 Reinforcement plate ready to install.

Name:	IMG_9980.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	113777 Plate installed and now onto the gusset repair.
    Last edited by JTR70; 03-16-2023, 08:34 PM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Left gusset repair and installation.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9981.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.1 KB ID:	113779 New bottom into basic shape.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9982.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.1 KB ID:	113780 New section tacked in and remounted for another of many test fits. My last piece of perimeter repair section was about an inch short so I'd have to add that tail on as it went.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9983.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.9 KB ID:	113781 Gusset repairs complete and ready to install for good but a quick coat of epoxy to the inner surface first.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9985.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.1 KB ID:	113782 Top side welding complete.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9986.jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.6 KB ID:	113783 Brake line bracket soaked in acid to clean the contact surface of rust and now ready to plug weld back into its original position.
      Last edited by JTR70; 03-16-2023, 09:06 PM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Tops side gusset installation complete.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9987.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.6 KB ID:	113785 All welding duties behind the front beam have gone as far as I can for now. Again, I can't get at the bottom of the flanges or fit and install the diagonal brace with the bench in my way. Even if I could I would not be interested in welding and fitting that new peice on my back; it has to go back on the rotisserie.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9989.jpg Views:	5 Size:	203.9 KB ID:	113786 Onto the repairs ahead of the beam. Going straighten and save this side of the battery box wall. While it will be a lot of work, removing it and prepping this area to accept a new wall would be just as much if not more work. All those spot welds along its perimeter and the frame panel overlap makes my head swim.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9990.jpg Views:	5 Size:	206.6 KB ID:	113787 Before I begin hammering it back out all tabs, flange remains and bumper bracket mount will have to be removed first. In process of this now.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 03-16-2023, 09:09 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Well done Justin , keepm up the good work!
          Roy

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Sir!

• prep work for panel straightening continued:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9992.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.6 KB ID:	113791 All accessory parts removed save for the bumper bracket mount but its spot welds are marked for drilling here. Mounting flanges have been ground clean of the remains of the original floor and front closing wall. Started peeling the upper closing walls double spotted lap joint but will get back to that a bit later.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9993.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.7 KB ID:	113792 Bumper bracket mount finally freed. Toughest part was locating and drilling the bottom flange runs with the cellette bench in the way. Missing my rotisserie more and more.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9994.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.4 KB ID:	113793 Wall now is now ready for straightening. The metal is both stretched and kinked from the initial wreck and the secondary body shop damaged as it appears to have been both hastily bashed out and used as the push off point to work the other side wall.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9995.jpg Views:	3 Size:	214.5 KB ID:	113794 First instinct of course is just to take a big hammer and start bashing back the other way but its been abused enough at this point. The epicenter seems to be at the headlight conduit hole so a simple board section with a big bolt was set up to begin drawing it back along with a few light hammer hits under the tension of this makeshift clamp.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9998.jpg Views:	3 Size:	213.0 KB ID:	113795 Headed in the right direction but again the area is stretched and kinked so this was about as far as it was going to draw back in.
          Last edited by JTR70; 03-19-2023, 09:31 PM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Wall straightening continued:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9999.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.7 KB ID:	113797 Began leveling out the obvious kinks and high spots with a little heat. That upper flange run would prove to be the most trouble.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.5 KB ID:	113798 More heat shrinking to continue "gathering up" the stretch. Thought I'd save the original conduit shouldered opening but more trouble than its worth. I'll punch the damage out, backfill and reopen it.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0003.jpg Views:	3 Size:	200.1 KB ID:	113799 Last hurdle was this bowed profile left in flange.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0001.jpg Views:	3 Size:	194.2 KB ID:	113800 Repeated heat and strikes would only get me so far. This wall hangs out it space so a sold hit was tough to generate without building a makeshift holding jig.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0004.jpg Views:	3 Size:	222.1 KB ID:	113801 I ended up relief cutting it along the deformation to beak its back giving me the cooperation I was looking for. Section stitched back together and running straight. Dressing the weld top and bottom next. Conduit hole punched clean and back filling next.
            Last edited by JTR70; 03-19-2023, 09:56 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Almost there
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.0 KB ID:	113803 Straightening , shrinking and welding the lower flange were needed.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.2 KB ID:	113804 Flanges reset
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.3 KB ID:	113806 Several looses ends yet to tie up but this wall is 90% there.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0010.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.2 KB ID:	113805 Bracket mounted to highlight were we started. Pounding this back out flat for remounting shortly.

Thanks for looking.
              Justin
              Last edited by JTR70; 03-19-2023, 10:10 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, from the start with the block of wood to the relief cuts you get ten out of ten for the careful thought and that just super result. That effort had taught me so much. Its the way you approach work that is so impressive. What a great exercise this car is proving to be. It started out you would do all the bodywork and then ther owner would get it painted. That goes back 4 or 5 years is he still following your every move?

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                  JTR70 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Roy, that is always appreciated! The relief cut was just a work around as I didn't have a set of jaws deep enough to reach that area. Hammering and heating had become ineffective with this panel unsupported at the other end so most of the striking energy dissipated. Crude but this was the quickest way forward. My buddy has been very patient but is chomping at the bit to get it over to his paint shop. As a seasoned 356 owner who has had many cars pass through his hands he knows exactly what goes into the rebuilding phase and yes he is watching this thread like a hawk. Thanks again!
                  Justin

• Prepping new battery box parts:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0013.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.1 KB ID:	113810 Conduit opening backfilled, redrilled and shouldered for an eventual fusion with the end of the tube as originally done.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0012.jpg Views:	3 Size:	231.8 KB ID:	113811 A few more shrinks added to get it a little better but I've gone as far as I can on this panel for now.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9665.jpg Views:	3 Size:	222.2 KB ID:	113812 Time to begin getting the new battery box panels that will be used free from the two that will not be used.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9702.jpg Views:	3 Size:	240.2 KB ID:	113813 Again, the rear panel is the narrow T1 version and will be replaced with a proper T2 version.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0014.jpg Views:	3 Size:	231.0 KB ID:	113814 Taking off the right side now It will be used but I want it free for a clean accurate fit. Spot welds are secure but they do give up much easier than the factory versions which makes disassembly a less painful..
                Last edited by JTR70; 03-21-2023, 09:18 PM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Fitting and prepping new battery box wall.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0015.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.7 KB ID:	113816 Panel free and ready to begin fitment.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.0 KB ID:	113817 anxious to begin fitting this panel but

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	113818
                  Have some remains of both the old upper closing wall flange and original battery box wall to clean out first.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0018.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.5 KB ID:	113819 Corner cleaned with some flange remains yet to clean above it but will take care of that later.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.7 KB ID:	113820 As you can see if your going to install this panel as a full piece it goes back very deep.
                  Last edited by JTR70; 03-21-2023, 09:29 PM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Panel prep:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.9 KB ID:	113822 Basic position and now onto fine tuning.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.7 KB ID:	113823 One adjustment I wanted to make was to soften this upper bend.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.6 KB ID:	113824 Secured to a piece of angle iron with a softer radius and hammer formed to it.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.6 KB ID:	113825 Softer turn now matches more closely with the original profile.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.0 KB ID:	113826 My main reason for doing this is that the eventual upper closing wall flange will wrap over the top of it and take on its profile shape. If its too tight and crisp (like it was) it just screams "replacement panels" when looking up into the fender well; I've seen it and I don't like it.
                    Last edited by JTR70; 03-21-2023, 09:49 PM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Final prep and ready to weld:

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	113828 Removed one more time to straighten and clean suspension flange. I little lever bar and slide hammer work but it came back out very well.

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	113829 Clamped and set for the final time. 7 inches from the bottom edge of the panel to the cellete plank matches the original side.

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	113830 16 1/2 inches from the beam to the end of the panel matches the left side. All plug welding will be done in here to preserve the original spot weld detail on the outside of the flange. Welding it on now.

Thanks for looking!

Justin

Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin its so good to have the body on the Cellette to get the datums correct, so difficult if the body was just suspended in air very difficult then to know its all in line. Correct as well for it to look as original as possible. It is true new panels can stand out if they just don't look right. Easy to spot that if you are really into 356 cars. And as these cars are not cheap anymore that affects value. Good bit of work there Justin!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                          JTR70 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you Roy! The mission has always been to make these repairs well enough to where it would make no sense to try and improve upon them at anytime in the future. Definitely, the bench is providing invaluable confirmation as its going back together. Thanks once again! Justin

• Welding new wall in:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0028.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.4 KB ID:	113834 Plug welds completed to the inside of the suspension flange.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0029.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.4 KB ID:	113835 Dressed smooth and now ready to lay the frame panel flap back over top.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.7 KB ID:	113836 Top section iron out back flat as plug welding progressed. Onto the lower flap.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0031.jpg Views:	3 Size:	238.3 KB ID:	113837 BTW even if this rear closing wall was going to be used I still would have removed it to install the side walls. As you can see the access is very inhibited in between the beams and this wall to perform all the procedures required to install the side walls correctly.

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	113838 Clamped and messaging this flap as the welding goes. Again, the results would be mixed with the battery box installed as a unit as it was purchased.
                        Last edited by JTR70; 03-24-2023, 08:29 PM.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Wall installation complete.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0034.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.3 KB ID:	113840 Overlay flap welding and straightening complete.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0036.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.8 KB ID:	113841 Thorough weld penetration confirmed out here.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0047.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.3 KB ID:	113842 Plugs dressed smooth finishing off the right side wall installation. Onto the next deal.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0040.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.7 KB ID:	113843 Getting the wall accessories ready for reinstallation. Original left bumper bracket mount hammered back out flat.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0041.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.9 KB ID:	113844 Into the acid bath next to clean up the remaining rust before it goes back on.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                          Last edited by JTR70; 03-24-2023, 08:50 PM.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                          X